Cutting the cord...

In my experience, all these options practice the same male bovine excretion. They lure you in with what they consider a low price. Then either gradually or suddenly increase the price. Not once but on-going. It creeps up over time or just gets slapped on like cake frosting. I have come to the conclusion they have tapped into two social phenomena. One, people's self-spoiling mentality and infected with "must havitis." Even TV makers are capitalizing on this disease, quite similar to the diabetes epidemic. See, the FDA allowed the food industry to sell foods that encourage a form of addiction. Then the medical professions capitalize on it. You're sweets and fat trained, thus must havitis. Two, televisions took away one of the grandest things about Americans. We were outdoorsy people. Whether it was kids playing in public playgrounds, kicking cans, street foot races, stickball, lake swimming, exploring nearby thickets and woodlands, bug hunting etc. Or adults fishing, walking to Aunt Mollie's hose down the road, campfire parties, backyard football, and what have you. Televisions dragged us inside, televisions became entertainment centers, worse yet, we liked it. Next step was profiters nonstop sucking on our wallet nipples. And here we are. So for me, no cable or satellite TV. My OTA serves me well cause I'm not infected with must havitis, being semi-immune with the inoculation called GTH. I have a grandfathered Internet connection so use ROKU and Netflix Basic. All else on it is free channels like Reuters, CW (for when I miss episodes) ABC, some exercising channels, cooking channels, in general, I and Shirley are easy to please with simple things. We REFUSE to be robotized into permanently addicted cash cows by brainwashing companies.

it's a lot cheaper to spend the $100-$200 on the devices and antennas (depending on how many tv's you have), and scrap cable/satellite.....1 time expense...

$8/month for Netflix
$9/month for Amazon prime
$15/Month for HBO NOW
$25/month for Sling w/SEC network

for roughly $60-$70/month you can have access to just about anything you'd want, and you never pay lease fees again for rented/leased equipment. no more weather outages...

and depending on your internet/phone provider, another $60/month...a lot of people go from spending $300 plus, to less than $150 by cutting the cord.

i know for me, i switched to ATT fiber from Spectrum/TWC cabel internet....put my pone on the internet, and went from spending $70/month on interent, $60 on phone, $180 on direct TV....($310/month) to less than $190/month when it was all said and done.

and that's only because i chose to keep some other features. i could probably save another $40 or so a month if i was so inclined....

you can spend as much or as little as you want...but for $60 month on content alone, it just doesn't get much better than doing the a la carte route...

Since GoT is over (horribly), no sense paying for HBO anymore.

You guys are probably right. I really think I just had a huge brain fart. Regardless, it is a heck of a lot cheaper than DirectTV, A lot more user friendly, and I am not going back.
We got emails like 3-4 months ago that the price for everyone was increasing to $50 starting in June. I was on the $35 a month grandfathered pricing before and now I'm paying $50.

You guys are probably right. I really think I just had a huge brain fart. Regardless, it is a heck of a lot cheaper than DirectTV, A lot more user friendly, and I am not going back.
Definitely and for me even if the price was similar I would still prefer streaming. I've been doing it for 3 years now so I've gotten accustomed to it.

Reactions: InfiniteVol
In my experience, all these options practice the same male bovine excretion. They lure you in with what they consider a low price. Then either gradually or suddenly increase the price. Not once but on-going. It creeps up over time or just gets slapped on like cake frosting. I have come to the conclusion they have tapped into two social phenomena. One, people's self-spoiling mentality and infected with "must havitis." Even TV makers are capitalizing on this disease, quite similar to the diabetes epidemic. See, the FDA allowed the food industry to sell foods that encourage a form of addiction. Then the medical professions capitalize on it. You're sweets and fat trained, thus must havitis. Two, televisions took away one of the grandest things about Americans. We were outdoorsy people. Whether it was kids playing in public playgrounds, kicking cans, street foot races, stickball, lake swimming, exploring nearby thickets and woodlands, bug hunting etc. Or adults fishing, walking to Aunt Mollie's hose down the road, campfire parties, backyard football, and what have you. Televisions dragged us inside, televisions became entertainment centers, worse yet, we liked it. Next step was profiters nonstop sucking on our wallet nipples. And here we are. So for me, no cable or satellite TV. My OTA serves me well cause I'm not infected with must havitis, being semi-immune with the inoculation called GTH. I have a grandfathered Internet connection so use ROKU and Netflix Basic. All else on it is free channels like Reuters, CW (for when I miss episodes) ABC, some exercising channels, cooking channels, in general, I and Shirley are easy to please with simple things. We REFUSE to be robotized into permanently addicted cash cows by brainwashing companies.

Thanks for the sermon. We all aspire to be as awesome as you are WV.

Thanks for the sermon. We all aspire to be as awesome as you are WV.

Not a sermon, sharing what my preference is and why. You and all others can do what I did, vintage Burger King the issue. In other words, HAVE IT YOUR WAY. :)

Shirley and I just got fed up with having a bit our mouths, and reigns controlling us in what direction to trot. So did several other couples we know who opted to take the same path we did. It's very American to be rebellious, whether against snotty Brits and their German mercenaries, or the Civil War issues. If we don't cotton to something, you'll know it. Same goes for broadcast and streaming leeches.

Does it offer all the sports networks? What about my local channels (I live in Chattanooga)
On mine which is reloaded tv..... I get all the sports channels including all the major sports packages such as nfl, mlb, nba, and nhl...... I get all the movie channels and all the pay per view events... I also use cinema APK to watch movies and tv shows when I want too..... you don’t get local channels but you get all the networks about 3 per network from different major cities. I have never missed a UT game and the only thing I don’t have is local news.

i'm pulling down 60+ BPS on ATT fiber over wifi. was pulling down 21 BPS on cable...the Fiber works much better....

you can upgrade cable internet though and pull over 100BPS, which, really you wouldn't need unless you're gaming on line....which i don't do. streaming...what i have works fine.

i can be on one TV, wife on the other, and the kids on ipads, and no issues.

good grief man. 20 MBPS over a cable modem? it's time to call tech support. 60 meg over fiber? that isnt fiber. its dsl +.

100 meg isnt enough for most gamers. i get 150 meg over cable, and will switch to Sym 200/200 when available for $50. that's getting into gamer speed, and bc its fiber little to no latency from point to point.

NF and cable app. Al credentials are unlocked, comes with the job. so wont be much help on which is best.

YouTubeTV get local channels plus SECn and ESPN. $50/mo. Also get Tennis Channel and HGTV and Fox News. That covers about everything my wife and I watch. 60mbps from Comcast for $30/mo. Bought my own router/modem. Love it so far. Got tired of groveling with Uverse every year for lower price. Only negative so far is that haven’t figured out how to keep my data use below one terabyte! Comcast’s cost then skyrockets.

So Hulu Live is going up and I tried the YouTube Live 7 day trial...I like the interface and guide and unlimited DVR but I can't stream seasons....I just have to catch them while they are on live and record them...is this correct?

Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).
I had Sling so I could add the SECN+ and some other channels my basic cable doesn't carry. It buffers a lot and if there is a weather delay you can't see the game until it's completed. I missed the rest of the Vandy game and never renewed my subscription. I used a gift card visa to start it just in case I didn't like it, I could avoid updating my CC info and have to jump through hoops to stop payments..

So Hulu Live is going up and I tried the YouTube Live 7 day trial...I like the interface and guide and unlimited DVR but I can't stream seasons....I just have to catch them while they are on live and record them...is this correct?

It depends on the network / show. Some are on demand. Some you have to record.

Reactions: VolnJC

VN Store

Back