Official Major League Soccer/US Men's National Team Thread

The annoyance about their "taunting" is 100% from Rapinoe's stance about the anthem. That inserts politics into the discussion, which is a divisive topic by nature. They don't like Rapinoe not standing for the anthem, so they critique everything she does.

If politics wasn't part of the discussion, the USWNT's celebrations and such would be unanimously loved by Americans. They'd only be seen as unseemly by opposing fans. Morgan's tea sip with the raised pinky against England is pretty hilarious - I guess it is also kind of disrespectful, but that's why it's funny. Gaulden's double birds to Bama fans was also hilarious because it was disrespectful. However, I'd also submit that if Gaulden espoused controversial political opinions while he was at Tennessee, there'd be some Tennessee fans who wouldn't see the humor in his double birds. Politics almost always poisons whatever discussion it becomes a part of.

Apparently the tea-sipping wasn't even a dig at England, it was a nod to Sophie Turner who signs off on social media with "that's the tea". Either way, it's not that big of a deal. Nobody in England is sensitive about the Boston tea party. Also in fairness, many Tennessee fans were upset about the double birds, but nobody carried any ire for Gaulden and they certainly didn't start rooting for our opponents.

The people who are acting like we have disrespected other nations with our celebrations* are probably the same people who defended POTUS for the "sh!thole" countries comment, and the like.

Sophie Turner Interrupts Honeymoon to Defend Alex Morgan

*and I actually agree, I was a little embarrassed by the Thailand game, but it's no reason to dislike the team that represents your country. Again, Tennessee players celebrate TD's when they are up 40-0 on FCS schools. It irks me, but I'll keep rooting for Tennessee.

Last edited:
*and I actually agree, I was a little embarrassed by the Thailand game, but it's no reason to dislike the team that represents your country. Again, Tennessee players celebrate TD's when they are up 40-0 on FCS schools. It irks me, but I'll keep rooting for Tennessee.
Yeah, I mean I think they would have taken a small amount of heat for that even if Rapinoe hadn't opined on the anthem. Their celebrations of the 9th, 10th, 11th, etc. goal in that game were pretty silly and they were called out on it, just as I think an elaborate celebration of a touchdown to make the score 56-0 in an NFL game would have been called out too.

I never really quite understood rooting for the team to lose because of Rapinoe's opinion. The team represents the whole country, and I guarantee you there's at least one player on the USWNT who disagrees with Rapinoe or at least her approach. Do you want her to lose too? It's a team game.

Reactions: n_huffhines
"...they want to play the heel then act oppressed when people either don't like them or don't give a ****."

^that's what you said, but now you're making it about equal pay and game times, not people liking them.
It can literally be both, so you've contributed a pointless remark as you often do.

Now how about these assclowns (literally) stepping all over the flag?

Cements even further in my mind that they're worth monopoly money at best.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
But it's not both. You said it was one and then you realized it's not, so now you are saying it for other reasons.
Awful arrogant of you to assume my thought process. If this was more than a message board I'd draw a little graph for you to see exactly my line of thought. But since 90% of your posts on all boards are you pretending to be an Internet philosopher, I'll pass on circling that toilet bowl.

Awful arrogant of you to assume my thought process. If this was more than a message board I'd draw a little graph for you to see exactly my line of thought. But since 90% of your posts on all boards are you pretending to be an Internet philosopher, I'll pass on circling that toilet bowl.

I thought it was your thought process because it's what you said. Please forgive me for taking you at your word. I'll just assume things you say aren't part of your thought process, going forward. ;)

- They constantly complain about pay for the last few years and getting paid less than the Mens team though they lost to a U-15 boys club team.
While I ultimately agree with you about the lack of entertainment value I get out of women's soccer, that isn't what decides how much they get paid. The reason they get paid less, or deserve to get paid less, than the men isn't because they lost to a U-15 boy's club team. That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If an elderly women's underwater basket weaving league brought in more money than the NFL, then the participants in the underwater basket weaving league would have a strong argument to get paid more than NFL players. If the USWNT was beaten by a team of preschoolers, that isn't an argument to pay them any less than they currently make. A wage is a price, like any other. It is a function of supply and demand. If there is great demand for what you do and limited supply, you will get paid a ton, regardless of how good you are at it relative to someone else.

To the extent that they generate more money, the USWNT deserves to get paid more. To the extent there is a gap between the revenue they generate and the revenue the men generate, any wage gap between them is justified.

Last edited:
Everybody is acting like the women are getting paid exactly what they deserve, but they have no idea what they are talking about. None of us are close enough to it. Do they deserve what the men get? No. Do the men deserve what the women get? No. They both deserve the same % of the revenue they generate. It's so simple! Then it's all merit-based instead of basing it on what US soccer thinks they can get away with.

Some players were doing a choreographed celebration and somebody dropped the flag to participate, realized what she had done, picked it up and handed it to somebody behind her. It's careless, but it wasn't a statement of any kind. Snowflakes just wanna be offended.

Here’s the video of players “trampling all over and disrespecting the flag”

My 15-yo niece asked Tito Villalobos of Atlanta United to homecoming. She was at an event where she knew AU's backup keeper would be and she gave him a note to give to Tito. OMG, the chutzpa of this kid.

VN Store

Back