From The Athletic: State Of The Program

Great article. Barnes' talking about Lamonte's leadership got me thinking... He and Bowden will both pass the 1,000 career scoring mark this season. Meaning last year's team would've had 5 eventual players hit that mark. Is that the most players on any year's team in UT's history?

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Great article. Barnes' talking about Lamonte's leadership got me thinking... He and Bowden will both pass the 1,000 career scoring mark this season. Meaning last year's team would've had 5 eventual players hit that mark. Is that the most players on any year's team in UT's history?
You know, I thought I'd have to go back further to find this, but apparently not. Jarnell, Hubbs, Richardson, and Jordan McRae all scored 1,000 points in their careers, and all were teammates. So it's actually not been that long ago we had 4 guys do that.

You know, I thought I'd have to go back further to find this, but apparently not. Jarnell, Hubbs, Richardson, and Jordan McRae all scored 1,000 points in their careers, and all were teammates. So it's actually not been that long ago we had 4 guys do that.
That team was close. Armani ended up with 900+. Wouldn't shock me if last season was the only time in history it's happened...

Last edited:
07-08 team had Lofton, J. Smith, T. Smith, Chism, and Tatum...all 5 of which were eventual 1000 point scorers. Add in JP Prince who scored 891 in 3 seasons at Tennessee.

07-08 team had Lofton, J. Smith, T. Smith, Chism, and Tatum...all 5 of which were eventual 1000 point scorers. Add in JP Prince who scored 891 in 3 seasons at Tennessee.
Tatum redshirted that year but I guess that counts. Pretty crazy, both years were Vols only two teams to achieve #1 rankings, both teams beat a team ranked #1, both lost in Sweet 16, both beat Gonzaga and West Virginia, both were undefeated at home, '08 preseason rank #7 '18 preseason rank #6. Pretty wild. And yet somewhat demoralizing that our 2 best teams in history (with 4 or 5 career 1000 point scorers) only made the Sweet 16...

Reactions: cncchris33
Tatum redshirted that year but I guess that counts. Pretty crazy, both years were Vols only two teams to achieve #1 rankings, both teams beat a team ranked #1, both lost in Sweet 16, both beat Gonzaga and West Virginia, both were undefeated at home, '08 preseason rank #7 '18 preseason rank #6. Pretty wild. And yet somewhat demoralizing that our 2 best teams in history (with 4 or 5 career 1000 point scorers) only made the Sweet 16...
Yes, he did redshirt, but he played in 7 games and scored 30-40 points, I think. IIRC, he redshirted because of a knee injury, so he'd have likely played more and not redshirted if not for that.

Lots of similarities you made note of between those two teams. Kinda odd, but pretty neat.

Yea
Surprised T Smith scored 1,000 in his abbreviated career here
Yeah, even more impressive is he did it in roughly 2.5 seasons. Had he come in as a freshman instead of going to Iowa and then not been dismissed as a Senior, hed have perhaps been a 2000 pt scorer.

Yes, he did redshirt, but he played in 7 games and scored 30-40 points, I think. IIRC, he redshirted because of a knee injury, so he'd have likely played more and not redshirted if not for that.

Lots of similarities you made note of between those two teams. Kinda odd, but pretty neat.

Bruce once said that they considered redshirting Lofton after his battle with cancer partly because they were so enamored with Tatum. Unfortunately he had the knee injury (which was hurt before the season and then proceeded to hinder him for his career).

The Jerry Green teams had to have at least 5 guys score 1,000 if not more?
Yarbrough, Slay, Victor, Black, Harris, Wharton, and maybe Higgins or Watson. The years are running together
Those teams could’ve been so much better.

The Jerry Green teams had to have at least 5 guys score 1,000 if not more?
Yarbrough, Slay, Victor, Black, Harris, Wharton, and maybe Higgins or Watson. The years are running together
Those teams could’ve been so much better.
If they don't choke that UNC game and make the elite 8, maybe even further, those players and that team and Jerry Greene are seen in a different, better light.

Last edited:
If they don't choke that UNC game and make the elite 8, maybe even further, those players and that team and Jerry Greene are seen in a different, better light.

I wasn't in love with that team, but UNC could have been doing double reverse back flips, and kicked the ball, and it would have went in during that last 5 minutes. Yes, we choked, but they were unbelievable during that stretch.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I wasn't in love with that team, but UNC could have been doing double reverse back flips, and kicked the ball, and it would have went in during that last 5 minutes. Yes, we choked, but they were unbelievable during that stretch.
Sort of like Kline and Edwards of Purdue this last season.

I agree. If Harris had just kept throwing the ball into CJ instead of firing up bad shots from all over the place they win that game by 6-8. They were LOADED with talent but I heard from several people in the know that Greene let them run amok. Too bad because I feel
Like that team had the talent for a few elite 8 runs at least.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but GO VOLS:

Impressive numbers by Vols for sure but what sticks out to me is
1. The BIG10 still loves their hoops.
2. Blue Jays & Huskers!?! Apparently Nebraska is low key b-ball crazy.
3. We’ve played at least half of these teams since Barnes has been here.
4. PAC 12 is a ghost town

VN Store

Back