Looking for Pons to be the biggest surprise of 2019-20 season

Definitely think pons should study Armani. Armani was maybe a better shooter, but I think if he took some things from Armani like his slashing, play making, and defense he could actually become a pretty good player.

Problem is pons is trying to be a guard. When in reality, he’s a post player. Think Armani moore.
Very good point. It’s been mentioned before, but worth repeating. He could make hay as an undersized PF, and given our need there, I’d hope Barnes is planning on trying to make that work. Of course, it would help if he were here working on that instead of playing the wing for France, internationally, at the moment.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Definitely think pons should study Armani. Armani was maybe a better shooter, but I think if he took some things from Armani like his slashing, play making, and defense he could actually become a pretty good player.

The difference between him and Armani is the ballhandling. Pons got called for a double dribble on a fast break with a two on one. Pons is just going to have to do what Fulkerson does. Pons should try and cause havoc and get out on the fast break and make a bunch of back cuts on offense.

Have to wonder if the language barrier is still a problem for Pons. Barnes' system requires that all his players can read defenses and recognize offensive schemes on the fly. Watching him at times last season look completely lost and out of sync it seems his BB IQ hasn't developed on schedule.
That's my major concern for all of the roster this season. How fast they they meld as a team on the floor will also determine what kind of season they have. Plenty of talent, but BB IQ is the question that needs to be answered and early.
If it isn't there Barnes will have to do a lot more 'in game' coaching than he's shown so far.
I think his play with the French team proves it isn’t a language barrier. It’s a lack of skill and basketball knowledge. The sad thing is he lacks knowledge and has been playing for awhile (Kyle seemed to have more understanding and skill and he only started playing at 16).

The difference between him and Armani is the ballhandling. Pons got called for a double dribble on a fast break with a two on one. Pons is just going to have to do what Fulkerson does. Pons should try and cause havoc and get out on the fast break and make a bunch of back cuts on offense.
Definitely wouldn’t have him leading a break lol

Have to wonder if the language barrier is still a problem for Pons. Barnes' system requires that all his players can read defenses and recognize offensive schemes on the fly. Watching him at times last season look completely lost and out of sync it seems his BB IQ hasn't developed on schedule.
That's my major concern for all of the roster this season. How fast they they meld as a team on the floor will also determine what kind of season they have. Plenty of talent, but BB IQ is the question that needs to be answered and early.
If it isn't there Barnes will have to do a lot more 'in game' coaching than he's shown so far.

I'd wondered if language was still an issue with Pons. But it doesn't sound like he's having a good summer while playing on a French speaking team.

Armani is one of the most underrated players in recent UT basketball history, IMO. He wasn't flashy, but man, he absolutely got the job done and out-rebounded guys four or five inches taller than him regularly.

Cuonzo not recognizing he should have been playing a lot more his first two years is one of my biggest gripes about Martin

Reactions: vols 30
Cuonzo not recognizing he should have been playing a lot more his first two years is one of my biggest gripes about Martin
To be fair, Armani came in believing he was a PG, which he clearly was not. So, he needed to mature into his eventual role. I’m certainly not carrying water for Cuonzo, but it isn’t like Armani came in as a freshman ready to be what he was as a senior.

To be fair, Armani came in believing he was a PG, which he clearly was not. So, he needed to mature into his eventual role. I’m certainly not carrying water for Cuonzo, but it isn’t like Armani came in as a freshman ready to be what he was as a senior.

I was referring more to his sophomore year. He wasn’t ready his freshman year

Well, he’s playing in France for summer and still sucking. So, no.

I wish Pons contributed as much as Fulk.

pons can not shoot the ball at all. lost confidence in himself. Needs to learn to play inside till his offense come around.

at the same time the box scores have to be put in perspective. Against Ukraine he played 20 mins and actually his points were not low when you look at the team the score was 68-40 and only 3 guys scored more than 7 point (14,13) they played 11 guys and pretty much everyone scored so there were not really a lot of baskets to go around he only took 6 shots. Vs Croatia he only played 8 mins so it would be interesting to see whats up there. But I do know that in europe they do rotations more like soccer very matchup based and guys have very specific roles. Bascially its a lot more about team ball there. I did however find a listing with his stats for the full event http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2019/player/Yves-Pons I think the fact they have him listed as attending Tennessee Tech is hilarious. Certainly a nod to language barrier if he didn't have them correct that.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
wow looking deeper no mater how you twist it hes been a non factor his average over 5 games

15 mins 2 points 2 reb 1 assist 1 foul 1 to half a steal and block and +/_ of -1.2

his minutes were steadily increasing from game 1-4 (12,14,19,22) then in game 5 in the quarterfinals they dropped him to 8. They have 2 games left and next game will face one of the 2 highest scoring teams in the tourney. France seems to be a slow grinding team.. maybe that style of play (fast) will suit Pons better?

Their next game is Saturday and after that they either play in the finals or the third place game on sunday FIBA

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back