BasketVols in the NBA

Because the coaching is better in the NBA, they can work all offseason instead and focus on basketball instead of college stuff, and they can work with assistants/specialized trainers with no time limits.

All these teams/agents have shooting coaches and they can work with them with no time restraints. Grants jump shot already looks better in three months.

Totally this. Which is part of why there are some (not all, but some) draft day decisions that confound fans -- "why'd they draft so-and-so so high" or "what on Earth are they thinking picking that kid?" Some things you can coach, and some things you can't. If a kid has the latter but didn't do so well with NCAA-approved coaching, well, they may just do better once they can focus full time and bring their talent and ability into a professional setting.

say what? grant shot 32.6% from 3 last year and 29.1% for his career. He **** 1.2 a game last year and 1.0 career. Tobias shot 30 percent on 2.2 attempts per game at UT. Jrich career 31.8% on 2.3 attempts. Jordan Mcrae 34% on 4.6. All (grant is still just in summer league so does not count) immediately increased their shooting percentages by a large margin in the NBA. Tobias has only shot under 30% two season his rookie and 4th then the last 2 years he has been at 40%. its like something magic happened to all UT graduates in the NBA starting in 2017 well except for Mcrae he is still shooting 35% in his limited career
I meant admiral, that only applies to him.

I meant admiral, that only applies to him.
gotcha, if u notice I kinda skimmed over him because as you correctly pointed out he was a very good 3 point shooter. Career 38.9% and not only that he increased not only his percentage every single year but attempts. Which makes his drop in stock during the draft more strange. From what I followed the knocks on him were his bodyfat, he was actually the second or third fattest guy at the combine. Plus he was a Senior. I think all 3 will be fine in the NBA but I think Admiral will have the most success and funny enough I think KA will be the second most. Even though KA was a Senior he is still a "project" the other 3 are closer to complete products. Not saying they can't improve just saying there is more ceiling fo KA because he is so raw. It's how NBA teams think. I don't agree but guys like that get more patience.

gotcha, if u notice I kinda skimmed over him because as you correctly pointed out he was a very good 3 point shooter. Career 38.9% and not only that he increased not only his percentage every single year but attempts. Which makes his drop in stock during the draft more strange. From what I followed the knocks on him were his bodyfat, he was actually the second or third fattest guy at the combine. Plus he was a Senior. I think all 3 will be fine in the NBA but I think Admiral will have the most success and funny enough I think KA will be the second most. Even though KA was a Senior he is still a "project" the other 3 are closer to complete products. Not saying they can't improve just saying there is more ceiling fo KA because he is so raw. It's how NBA teams think. I don't agree but guys like that get more patience.
I think grant will be the most successful just because he can effect the game in so many ways. He can score inside and out, he can pass, he can defend, he can rebound. He's going to be good. Admiral is the perfect 3 and D guy, think Jae crowder essentially. He needs to be consistently locked in on defense though. Bone and Kyle are both kind of projects. Bone might be the highest ceiling as he is a world class athlete with incredible vision. He needs to play with more confidence and work on his shooting and finishing at the rim. There's not going to be a whole lot of people that can stay in front of him if he continues to attack. Kyle is a very good athlete with a very good wingspan. Like you said, still super raw. The skillset is there, again he needs confidence and more basketball IQ. At least two of them will be long term NBA players, but all 4 could be at least rotational players.

Reactions: walkenvol
Kyle started and went 3-5 for 6 points with 11 rebounds (5 offensive). He also had 3 blocks and a steal.
Bone started and went 6-12 for 18 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, and 2 steals. He led the Pistons in scoring.
Admiral only played 7 minutes and had 2 points.
Grant started and had 11 points on 3-9 from the floor with 3 rebounds and 2 assists.

All 4 of their teams lost in the Summer League tournament so the next time we see them will hopefully be in the regular season.

Reactions: The Dog
I think grant will be the most successful just because he can effect the game in so many ways. He can score inside and out, he can pass, he can defend, he can rebound. He's going to be good. Admiral is the perfect 3 and D guy, think Jae crowder essentially. He needs to be consistently locked in on defense though. Bone and Kyle are both kind of projects. Bone might be the highest ceiling as he is a world class athlete with incredible vision. He needs to play with more confidence and work on his shooting and finishing at the rim. There's not going to be a whole lot of people that can stay in front of him if he continues to attack. Kyle is a very good athlete with a very good wingspan. Like you said, still super raw. The skillset is there, again he needs confidence and more basketball IQ. At least two of them will be long term NBA players, but all 4 could be at least rotational players.
That's exactly why I think Admiral will be the most successful he's a 3andD guy. They have been very valued the last decade but after the events of this NBA off-season it's gonna kick into high gear. The new likely not has been set. Sign 2-3 max superstars and fill the rest of your roster with 3 and D guys and a decent post. Grant I think is a better all aroun me basket all player skillwise and mentally than all the other 3. But he is very limited physically comparatively. His ceiling as I see it is a poor man's Tobias Harris. I see Admiral more like a Danny Green or Iggy type as a floor with the donkey as his ceiling. But that's just my opinion. It's gonna be fun watching all these Vols in the NBA. I hope they all become all stars.

Reactions: VolTexas
That's exactly why I think Admiral will be the most successful he's a 3andD guy. They have been very valued the last decade but after the events of this NBA off-season it's gonna kick into high gear. The new likely not has been set. Sign 2-3 max superstars and fill the rest of your roster with 3 and D guys and a decent post. Grant I think is a better all aroun me basket all player skillwise and mentally than all the other 3. But he is very limited physically comparatively. His ceiling as I see it is a poor man's Tobias Harris. I see Admiral more like a Danny Green or Iggy type as a floor with the donkey as his ceiling. But that's just my opinion. It's gonna be fun watching all these Vols in the NBA. I hope they all become all stars.
I definitely see Grant's ceiling as Draymond rather than Admiral. Grant has looked better than I thought he would on defense in summer league. Admiral has looked worse than i thought he would on defense. I still think he'll be a good defender, but i see him turning into someone like Jae Crowder or PJ Tucker. I've heard a lot of people compare grant to tucker, but grant can effect the game in more ways than tucker can (hence the Draymond comparison), and he's also got better size as well. I think crowder is the perfect comp for admiral, similar games, heights, and builds. Go Vols!

Nothing better than seeing former Basketvols achieving their dreams. Hopefully, JJJ can keep the trend up and be taken in the lottery next year.

Nothing better than seeing former Basketvols achieving their dreams. Hopefully, JJJ can keep the trend up and be taken in the lottery next year.
No! I want him to play well enough to have that opportunity, but decide to come back with Keon and Walker and win a championship

Reactions: twoffo
No! I want him to play well enough to have that opportunity, but decide to come back with Keon and Walker and win a championship
If Barnes remains true to his history, the recruiting of 1 and 2 year players won't improve his post season performance. His decline in post season at Texas began 2009 when he started recruiting them there. Now could he change that? Hope so, but expectations here will be thru the roof and anything less than an E8 - well you saw the reaction on this board from last season with 3 and 4 year players..

VN Store

Back