Tennessee-Auburn 1997

I watched that game sitting next to my son's hospital bed after an emergency surgery and one of the scariest weeks of my life. We should have won going away, if not for all those turnovers. But I was glad to escape with the victory and the SEC title.

Son is 23 now and doing great. Hard to believe that was so long ago.

I watched that game sitting next to my son's hospital bed after an emergency surgery and one of the scariest weeks of my life. We should have won going away, if not for all those turnovers. But I was glad to escape with the victory and the SEC title.

Son is 23 now and doing great. Hard to believe that was so long ago.
That was the worst part of all our big games except for 1998 nationalchampionship game. Under Fulmer we seemed to not be ready to play while Auburn and Miss St in SEC champ games we should have handled with no doubt. I still get so sick when LSU beat us in SEC championship. Ugh. I love Fulmer but something about being focused in big games seemed to be off.

Reactions: Hacksaw
There have been several UT games on SEC Replay this week that remind us just how fast and athletic the Vols were back then. It sure is a lot more fun when you recruit well.

Probably the game that cost Peyton the heisman. Not bc he did badly, 4 td, 400 yds, 2 no-fault ints, but bc he didn’t do enough. They should have spread the wrs out more to beat that 11 man front by Brother Bill.

Probably the game that cost Peyton the heisman. Not bc he did badly, 4 td, 400 yds, 2 no-fault ints, but bc he didn’t do enough. They should have spread the wrs out more to beat that 11 man front by Brother Bill.
Unfortunately, he had already lost the heisman well before that game. If voters had been required to not fill out ballots until all games played, this game would probably have helped him. Instead, if I remember correctly a lot of ballots were already filled out the week before. Woodson was playing OSU and Peyton was playing Vandy. The return for a TD was probably all it took for Woodson to win it on a lot of ballots.

Was there with my Dad and 8 year old son at the time. Lot of fun. Believe this was also the year it was like 10 degrees outside too

VN Store

Back