Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Assuming that Pember or Gaines redshirts, that means that of the 12 players on scholarship, half will have taken a RS. Only Bowden, Pons, and 4 of 5 freshmen will not have used one. If Pember AND Gaines redshirt, then 7 of 12 will be redshirts.

Taken or taking a RS (or MHW):

Turner
Fulkerson
Johnson
Kent
Bailey
Plavsic
? Pember or Gaines ?

Assuming that Pember or Gaines redshirts, that means that of the 12 players on scholarship, half will have taken a RS. Only Bowden, Pons, and 4 of 5 freshmen will not have used one. If Pember AND Gaines redshirt, then 7 of 12 will be redshirts.

Taken or taking a RS (or MHW):

Turner
Fulkerson
Johnson
Kent
Bailey
Plavsic
? Pember or Gaines ?
Wonder how that compares to most other programs?

I agree with most everything you say here. I think people are just speculating that he won't be able to continue the level of success he had last season, and if he doesn't continue that success, he will not be worth the salary. (My opinion is that he will maintain and even surpass the level of success we had the past 2 seasons.)

I think saying he was hired and paid to do his best is true, but with increased pay comes increased expectations for better results.

But truly, it is all meaningless until we see results, and we have to wait until the season for that.

But wins and losses aren't the only "results" that the administration considers. Even if we win 18 games this year, if the team is exciting, and fans come to watch, then revenue is generated. There might be a slight downturn, but then in 2020, if high level recruits come, excitement builds again. The ultimate goal for a coach is to make the NCAAT, but the administration will evaluate all facets of the program.

How the players act off of the court could factor in as well. I doubt that anything close to CBP's clown show would be tolerated... players or coaches.

Tennessee had nearly the whole staff court side this morning to watch Keon Johnson here in Birmingham. Rick is here along with assistants Mike Schwartz and Kim English. The trio also took in 2021 prospect Harrison Ingram from Texas, really nice looking player. He made an unofficial visit back during the season and his father graduated from Tennessee. Will be one to keep an eye on next year. Currently Barnes, Schwartz and English are posted up watching P.J. Hall.
-Lewis

Not my point. I don’t need an economics lesson from you.

The issue is that we aren’t allowed to base expectations based on pay. Or, that because we don’t personally write Barnes a check, we can’t have an opinion.

For me: I would want the same results if he were paid $10,000 or 10 million. Barnes took the job, he is still here, and I hope to see success........the amount of pay doesn’t matter a hill of beans to me.........I want to see wins and improvements.

I would be salty if he was paid one dollar and won 14 games. I would be ecstatic if he was paid 50 million and won 30 games..........I don’t care about $, I care about how the team does.

Not saying your wrong. Just showing how I see it.

Another guy getting plenty of attention from the staff Thursday was 2021 Texas prospect Harrison Ingram. He’s a 6-foot-7 player with five-star recruit written all over him. He plays point guard for his travel team, has incredible strength for a rising junior and also has a father who graduated from Tennessee. Ingram made an unofficial visit to Knoxville during the season to see Tennessee knock off Kentucky. The Vols are in the mix early on here but that’s going to be a crowded field.
Barnes & Co. also spent some time watching 2021 point guard Carter Whitt from Raleigh. Tennessee offered last month, joining Virginia, NC State and Maryland as some of the schools that have already offered Whitt. He attends the same high school that P.J. Tucker attended, one of Barnes’ former players at Texas who the head coach still has a strong relationship with.
-VQ

VN Store

Back