Dan Mullen: We got lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we stumbled our way to a goldmine.
Don't think we needed Mullens personality or discipline structure. Think the tuff but upfront approach with Pruitt Is what we need. I've never met either man, butt Mullen gives off some sleazy vibes to me. Not so with Pruitt to this point.

I honestly can't tell yet if were better off or worse without Mullen. But, I'm sure glad he's not our coach based on watching his actions closer over the last year. JMO
Fact of the matter is, Mullen personality is called “quirky” because they won last year. If he was at UT and went 5-7, there would be other names thrown around...CBJ 2.0 to be kind. Pruitt is the kind of “down the middle” guy we need for the long haul...just hope it’s not THAT long.

Except that Mullen’s first year at UF netted more wins than Spurrier or Meyer’s first years, and neither of those guys inherited 4-7 dumpster fires. There’s reason for optimism.

Man. I’m checking out that 2012 season and it’s clear that Will Muschamp is the next legendary Gators coach.

Reactions: AM64
Never wanted mullen here, that's not to say he's not a good coach and so far so good with him at florida.

With CP, I like the guy and what he done in terms of upgrading the staff and recruiting good talent leaves a good feeling about him with me for now. CP needs to win consistently and if he can't beat vandy and kentucky from here on out, which is the absolute bare minimum, he ain't the right guy. IMO of course.

Dan is the only coach between he and pruitt that has actually taken his team to #1 in the poles. At Florida he will do well. Tenn has beaten Florida 6 times in 30 yrs. So hold off on the We got the better deal stuff. Until pruitt beats vandy and actually beats Alabama georgia and Florida, he hasnt accomplished much. Until he does or doesnt get blown out by 25 pts or more. Then tenn may have the better coach

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...-too-much-mullen-troll-georgia-feeding-beast/
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...ul-look-mullen-not-just-because-comment-2019/

reading through some articles on Dan Mullen this year, i think Tennessee fans are going to look back in 5 years and be thankful that Mullen did not come to Tennessee.

he did a great job at Mississippi State but since he has taken over the Florida job, he continues to act like a small school coach.

based on articles, the 2019 recruiting class is a dumpster fire. and he has decided to pick a fight with Georgia in the media..........sounds like a young Kiffin / Butch hybrid.

no doubt that Mullen can coach dual threat QB's and play calling. but as time goes by, i seem to be more grateful to have a down-to-earth, developmental, country-boy coach in Pruitt that is providing confident stability.

this fanbase could not take another loud-mouth coach that cant hold on to his players. IMO, if Mullen and Currie would of struck a deal, the chaos on the Hill would be greater today than ever in history.

also, we all know Mullen would not stay in Knoxville long term, especially if the Florida job came open again, leaving Currie to hire another coach.

THANK YOU DAN MULLEN FOR GIVING TENNESSEE A NEW AD AND COACH.

He is never a hype person. He took Florida to 2nd in the SEC East last year destroying us 47-21 at home and then ended the season beating the tar out of #14 Michigan. I think they beat us again and come in second again. I think we could possible go 6-6 this year. Missouri gets Bryant, Franks is back to Florida, Bentley is back to SC. Fromm is back to Georgia. Miss St brings in a senior grad transfer next year from Penn St who looks to give people fits with the spread. We easily could drop that game and of course we drop the Bama game with Tag returning. We should beat Vandy and Kentucky. They both lost their QBs this year.

As far as I know, Bear Bryant is the only coach who has/had coached at one SEC school and then had more success at another, later. Curry did okay at Kentucky but not great. Dinardo had a good first year at LSU after leaving Vandy but none after that. Houston Nutt didn't fare any better after leaving Arkansas for Ole Miss.

So, the record says that Mullen won't have a high degree of success at Florida. But, then again, he did do extremely well at State!

Reactions: AM64
I am glad you aren't putting a game plan together for UT. You don't have a clue. PRUITT'S O had the ball 8:50 longer, had 4 more first downs, and had only 23 less yards after turning the ball over 6 times compared to UF's 1. Yes, the score was lopsided. But, you don't blame Pruitt and say Mullen made him look like a 'small school coach' when the players on the field didn't execute and turned the ball over 6 times!!! How many times did UT give UF the ball inside the UT 25? It was 3! Those three turnovers inside UT's 25 and a safety gave UF 23 points. Hell, they won by 26. UF had scoring drives of 7, 19, and 21 and the UT O gave up a safety all within 16 seconds into the 3rd quarter. UF also scored on two long plays where the UT D was out of position resulting in a 47 and 65 yard TD. Pruitt's D really allowed one sustained drive by UF O of 7 plays for 75 yards. If that is Pruitt's D getting made look like 'small school coach that had his lunch ate' to you, you are clueless!!! Post some facts before you accuse Pruitt of looking like a small school coach compared to Mullen. I am sure Stoops and Malzhan doesn't think Pruitt is a 'small school coach'!!!

Honestly, I wanted Mullen and I think he would have done great at UT with a staff full of elite recruiters and great DC. We will never know what could have been. Mullen proved to be a great HC at MSU. Those that say otherwise are clueless! Is Mullen elite? We will find out the next 3-5 years. I don't know which coach between Mullen and Pruitt will come out on top in the next 3-5 years. But, I have my money on Pruitt in the long run given equal talent based on what I have seen happen the last 18 months of each program!!!
WHO CARES ABOUT GAMEPLANS. WE GOT ARE ASSES BEAT. Protecting the football and minimizing turnovers is smart and we did not play that way. I don't have a CLUE? Have fun with that moral victory mentality saying we only lost by 26.

As far as I know, Bear Bryant is the only coach who has/had coached at one SEC school and then had more success at another, later. Curry did okay at Kentucky but not great. Dinardo had a good first year at LSU after leaving Vandy but none after that. Houston Nutt didn't fare any better after leaving Arkansas for Ole Miss.

So, the record says that Mullen won't have a high degree of success at Florida. But, then again, he did do extremely well at State!

Forgetting Steve Spurrier? They named the field after him in Gainesville and he’s the all-time winningest coach in South Carolina history, set all sorts of records for them including 11 wins three years in a row, won the SEC east, etc.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

Don’t forget Nick Saban.

Doesn't Saban fall into that category?

Forgetting Steve Spurrier? They named the field after him in Gainesville and he’s the all-time winningest coach in South Carolina history, set all sorts of records for them including 11 wins three years in a row, won the SEC east, etc.

I think his point is that after changing schools in the conference, coaches are less likely to reach the ceiling they had at their previous school. We’ll see how it plays out for Mullen. I think FSU/Miami’s success will also be a factor. If they’re still mediocre, Florida could run the table.

Reactions: Jaws
LOL to all of you. He has a top 10 class right now and won a boatload of more games than we did last year with marginally better talent. Mullen was a home run hire for them and will mostl likely dominate us for the next few years

Attachments

• 0A06C86F-025C-4ACD-8BB2-9C6588642BA1.gif
    0A06C86F-025C-4ACD-8BB2-9C6588642BA1.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 4
Just get us to a dang bowl game. Then beat Florida. Then we can have a conversation. Right now it is just talk with wishes and hopes.

Could Pruitt end up being better than Mullen? Possibly. Is there any evidence he is based on his resume thus far? No.

That's why exactly zero people were pushing for Pruitt during the coaching search at the point we thought we might get Mullen.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Y’all do realize that Mullen is the greatest coach in the history of Mississippi State football, right? Y’all do realize he made that sooped-up High School stadium one of the toughest places in America to play football. Y’all do realize he had Mississippi State ranked solidly number one in the country at one point for an extended period of time. Y’all do realize he’s one of the very few coaches who left Mississippi State on his own accord as opposed to being fired. He was taking Mississippi State to bowl games yearly, when before he arrived, Mississippi State was the Vandy of the SEC west.

His results at Mississippi State, combined with his stunningly good first year at Florida, shouts that Mullen is an elite coach.
We are saying whatever we can to make ourselves feel better.
Mullen did remarkable things at Miss State. He took a fledgling UF team and won 10 games his first year. When is the last time UT won 10?

I have little doubt UT would be better had we gotten Mullen and UF had won the Chip Kelly sweepstakes. UF was rated higher in recruiting last year and I’ll bet when all the dust settles this year they’ll be ranked higher as well.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...-too-much-mullen-troll-georgia-feeding-beast/
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...ul-look-mullen-not-just-because-comment-2019/

reading through some articles on Dan Mullen this year, i think Tennessee fans are going to look back in 5 years and be thankful that Mullen did not come to Tennessee.

he did a great job at Mississippi State but since he has taken over the Florida job, he continues to act like a small school coach.

based on articles, the 2019 recruiting class is a dumpster fire. and he has decided to pick a fight with Georgia in the media..........sounds like a young Kiffin / Butch hybrid.

no doubt that Mullen can coach dual threat QB's and play calling. but as time goes by, i seem to be more grateful to have a down-to-earth, developmental, country-boy coach in Pruitt that is providing confident stability.

this fanbase could not take another loud-mouth coach that cant hold on to his players. IMO, if Mullen and Currie would of struck a deal, the chaos on the Hill would be greater today than ever in history.

also, we all know Mullen would not stay in Knoxville long term, especially if the Florida job came open again, leaving Currie to hire another coach.

THANK YOU DAN MULLEN FOR GIVING TENNESSEE A NEW AD AND COACH.
Yeah, it must really suck being back in the Top 7 after year one.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
I must have been the only person that didn't want Mullen. While I agree it was Miss St, how many seasons did he start off with a bang and drop game after game to end the season? When the upper SEC teams came to play his teams tended to fold.
Nope. I am very happy he is somewhere other than Tennessee. We will be just fine with our coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back