Winning Requires Momentum -- How does CJP Get Us Some?

I flew to LA for the 2008 opener v UCLA at the Rose Bowl.
A superior Vol team was sleepwalking.
As soon as we did something good, we gave it right back.
12 years later, we still haven't shown the ability to create and maintain momentum.
[Still don't know how we won at Auburn last year.]

Is the Tennessee football program such a country club that the kids don't leave it on the field as in Vol eras gone by?
Do we need full-time psychological therapists on staff?
What would Bear Bryant do?

f*** Bear Bryant...

Expectations. From the fans to the boosters to the staff to the AD to the janitor... to the players.

I played in a really good HS football program many years back. I was on the first state championship team in school history. The school had hired a brash young coach. I don't think it was intentional on their part but he expected to win. I think they were just filling a position and he applied... he may not have had a lot of competition.

He expected the school and administration to support winning. He didn't take no for an answer. He expected his players to toe the line on discipline... and to win. In three years, we won that first state title. In his next 18 years, he won 7 or 8 more. For much of that time the school was playing in a class above its enrollment. We routinely thumped teams with twice our enrollment.

Cool story... I know. But the point is before all the mechanical, physical things you do to win... you cultivate a mindset. That mindset has to become an all pervading culture. It is hard to describe but you never forget it if you've ever experienced it. It isn't delusional pride... but you have a feeling of near invincibility and unshakable confidence not in yourself but your team. You have a level of commitment where you feel responsible for things without being directed.

Bama has that right now as does Clemson. It requires a great coach but goes way beyond one person.

Was it Polk High?
al-bundy-polk-steelers1.jpg

Players with heart and toughness..
Vanderbilt's roster has more "want to".

Until I see different, it is what I have come to expect.

We've sucked for a long time and unfortunately had a lot of false prophets leading our team. I believe in CJP, I believe in CJP. C'mon VN, repeat after me...!!

Similar background....we won our first two. Hell, I didn't even play that much. But, when I and the other smaller guys got to play, we played big, we played hard and we played to score just as much as the 1's and 2's. If your bench guys aren't hungry, the 1's and 2's won't be hungry because you aren't snapping at their heels.
Our practice D was better than most of the D's we played on Fridays.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
12 years later, we still haven't shown the ability to create and maintain momentum.

Is the Tennessee football program such a country club that the kids don't leave it on the field as in Vol eras gone by?

The Bear would do what he always did..He would bend over and kiss General Robert Neyland's
behind, and then ask Phillip Fulmer if he could use a spit shine or mabye a new car.

I think that most people are really talking about CONFIDENCE when they use the word momentum.

Winning multiplies confidence....and instills a mindset that expects to win in spite of adversities that arise during games.

The team must have confidence in the coaching staff---and that begins on the recruiting trail.
Do those best players out there really believe that the coaches can lead them to Championships?

The Coaches MUST continue to cultivate and multiply that confidence into trust, respect, and loyalty.
Most people are willing to endure all kinds of hardship if they BELIEVE that the reward is a REALITY.

Winning is the REALITY in sports.

Coaches ultimately have to translate their recruiting promises into WINS on the field.

I'd say that right now 'ol Dabo has Clemson at the top of the food chain in CONFIDENCE.
And it wasn't earned overnight....Dabo had plenty of naysayers in his past.

Ok, we got a lot of different thoughts going on here.

Agree... the expectation to win has gone by the wayside as long as the admin is getting their $$$. We are an irrationally supportive fanbase...as we have continued to spend millions on our Vols despite the continued middle finger from the athletic department. I fear that until we, the fanbase demand better, it will not improve. $$$ is the only thing that matters these days.
We are the Chicago Cubs, pre 2015

Our practice D was better than most of the D's we played on Fridays.
Our first championship we actually lost one game.....7-6. We generally only gave up maybe 10 points. I played a lot junior year because of the margins. It was a blast and I was blessed with Larry McCoy as a head coach that year.

Reactions: sjt18
Expectations. From the fans to the boosters to the staff to the AD to the janitor... to the players.

I played in a really good HS football program many years back. I was on the first state championship team in school history. The school had hired a brash young coach. I don't think it was intentional on their part but he expected to win. I think they were just filling a position and he applied... he may not have had a lot of competition.

He expected the school and administration to support winning. He didn't take no for an answer. He expected his players to toe the line on discipline... and to win. In three years, we won that first state title. In his next 18 years, he won 7 or 8 more. For much of that time the school was playing in a class above its enrollment. We routinely thumped teams with twice our enrollment.

Cool story... I know. But the point is before all the mechanical, physical things you do to win... you cultivate a mindset. That mindset has to become an all pervading culture. It is hard to describe but you never forget it if you've ever experienced it. It isn't delusional pride... but you have a feeling of near invincibility and unshakable confidence not in yourself but your team. You have a level of commitment where you feel responsible for things without being directed.

Bama has that right now as does Clemson. It requires a great coach but goes way beyond one person.

You had to have gone to Brentwood Academy if you went to high school in Tennessee. It's the only one I know that voluntarily played above it's classification for years and won multiple state titles doing it.

You had to have gone to Brentwood Academy if you went to high school in Tennessee. It's the only one I know that voluntarily played above it's classification for years and won multiple state titles doing it.
Grew up in NC.

I remember when Hamilton included incentive bonuses in Fulmers contract if he won 8 games. Talk about setting expectations low. (The rest of Hamilton’s bizarre decisions are in many other threads). Saying that we should strive for 6 wins and a bowl this year is also setting our expectations low. Are we a winning program with high standards or aren’t we? We have set the bar very low the past 10 years and our administration and fans seem to be ok with that. The teams that always win (bama, Yankees, patriots, warriors - btw, I hate them all) - ALWAYS set there standards at the highest level and will NOT accept mediocrity. Why can’t UT do the same? What are we afraid of? Fear of failure? It’s not likely that we will fail any more than we already have. I think anything less than 8 wins in 2019 is unacceptable.

Finger pointing this time of year is at its peak, so here is my two cents worth.
The apathy is not just with the sports programs/coaches/ athletic dept. The school as a whole has changed sense the course and effort of change to a more academic institution happened a few years back. I have never thought our student attendance was very good at any sports event that I have seen or been in attendance to. (those there at usually rabid) The student body just doesn't measure up to Ala.,T A&M, LSU, Fla., etc. Having been on campus a few times (orientation of a grand kid) in the last few years, the place and those in attendance seem a little liberal/passive as I remember our UT folks in the past. I think this is a "take" on the whole problem. As many state, no one seems to have as much "sports passion" on the hill as in the past. We the UT sports fans seem to be in the minority.

We need some luck on injuries for our players and our opponents and luck with our players development to e ceed expectations

VN Store

Back