JG - Underrated players ready for a breakout season

Bottom line is improvement.
He played in 3 more games in 2018 than 2017 yet..

only had 1 more interception

8 more TD's

4 fewer sacks despite over 100 more passing attempts. (Huge imo)

No denying that he still has work to do but definitely headed in the right direction.

View attachment 212018
If Chaney does for JG, what he did for Crompton, there's actually a good chance the OP article is correct.

Reactions: savannahfan
The haters have retreated for now...realizing Maurer and Shrout aren't prepping to start for game 1 as so many of them touted they would be back in January.
Did you actually see a poster say "I hate JG"? Can you give a link? Or are you just like free typing here......throwing words out.....being creative......

The haters have retreated for now...realizing Maurer and Shrout aren't prepping to start for game 1 as so many of them touted they would be back in January.

I haven't retreated. He isn't that good. Sadly, he's still the best option on the current roster. It's why this team will have to fight to get to 6 wins. O-line wasn't good last year either.

The flaw with JG is what this writer touts as a strength. He holds the ball too long. As a result, rather than throw a ball in a tight window and risk a pick, he takes a sack.

Not all bad, and certainly good in some situations. But, he needs to find a better balance.

Yes, some of that goes on the O Line, but some certainly goes on him for failing to make quicker decisions.

So...yes the O Line undoubtedly needs to improve...but JG needs to make a big jump forward, too.

Didn't the article say UT was last in total defense and next to last in scoring offense last year? (If it wasn't that article, there is another one on this subject that does say that). There's a lot of blame to go around there.

Reactions: FïreBall
Figured this would've already been posted but didn't see it. (Hopefully not a miss on my part)

So I randomly went to the ESPN NCF page and lo-and-behold, I saw orange in the header photo. Turns out there is an Insider article with under-radar players ready to break out this season.
(The good news is that because JG is the first player profiled, you can read all of it without needing a subscription).

LINK >>
Under-the-radar players ready for a breakout season in 2019

View attachment 211997

Well, they just put him on the radar!

That is a worthless comparison without considering total yards and total TD's. With the criteria given in this comparison, Guarantano could have thrown 4TD's and 1 INT. A 12TD season is pathetic for a starting QB. The total number of touchdowns matters.

IF JG does this, we're an 8-9 win team. We win 9 games + bowl game and all the sudden Bammers get all lathered up about who they "think" is their next coach.

Yeah Butch won 9 Two years in a row so Bama sucked him up LOL... 9 is the magic number for coach greatness.

Didn't the article say UT was last in total defense and next to last in scoring offense last year? (If it wasn't that article, there is another one on this subject that does say that). There's a lot of blame to go around there.

Leading in 3 and outs on offense makes a bad defense terrible especially in 2nd half.

The flaw with JG is what this writer touts as a strength. He holds the ball too long. As a result, rather than throw a ball in a tight window and risk a pick, he takes a sack.

A lot of the JG criticisms I see are along these lines, but mathematically, it's a flawed criticism.

A sack is typically a lose of 3-6 yards and you live to fight another day. An Interception is typically a swing of 30 - 60 yards, often even resulting in an opposing score. So even if a QB was so conservative that he took 10 more sacks in order to avoid 1 INT as a result, he'd likely come out ahead.

Frankly, there are too many "gunslingers" out there who try to force passes to make a play, rather than just take the sack. The analytics say taking a sack is far better than a risky pass. IMO, this was one of the major reasons why JG was far superior to Chryst last season and Dormady in 2017; both Chryst and Dormady tried to force too many passes as a result of pressure.

But really, we just need the O-line to run-block and pass-protect better, so we're not taking so many sacks and tackles-for-loss to begin with.

A lot of the JG criticisms I see are along these lines, but mathematically, it's a flawed criticism.

A sack is typically a lose of 3-6 yards and you live to fight another day. An Interception is typically a swing of 30 - 60 yards, often even resulting in an opposing score. So even if a QB was so conservative that he took 10 more sacks in order to avoid 1 INT as a result, he'd likely come out ahead.

Frankly, there are too many "gunslingers" out there who try to force passes to make a play, rather than just take the sack. The analytics say taking a sack is far better than a risky pass. IMO, this was one of the major reasons why JG was far superior to Chryst last season and Dormady in 2017; both Chryst and Dormady tried to force too many passes as a result of pressure.

But really, we just need the O-line to run-block and pass-protect better, so we're not taking so many sacks and tackles-for-loss to begin with.

You are assuming that he would throw an interception on every quick read...which wouldn’t be the case.

I’m not advocating that he throw balls up for grabs. I’m advocating that he make quicker reads and have the confidence to throw into tighter windows...when it is there.

Better, yes. Vastly, no. They allowed as many sacks as ours , and Ehlinger was pressured all season just like JG.

Ehlinger was however much better with his legs having almost 500 rushing yards and 16 rushing TDs.

Maybe you can pull up the multiple sports outlets, broadcasters and more who said that our OL was one of the worst of any P5 teams. Because we know our OL has been virtually universally acknowledged as one of the worst. Oh and we cannot forget how much better Texas WRs are than ours.

I'm not going to wade into a debate on whether 12 from a full-time starter is better than 11 from some part time scrubs. Who cares? JG and the majority of the team was atrocious last year.

I'm not a hater or homer, I just want he and the OL to play better. He's no Manning...he's no Dobbs and he never will be.

However, with Chaney and a little time to drop back, I don't see why he can't be a 20/10 2,400 type player. That's good enough to win 7 games and build towards what I think will be 9-10 win type season in 2021.

VN Store

Back