ESPN Updates Preason FPI - TN=15th

theoretically this has Tennessee finishing 3rd in the East behind UGA and UF. Not too bad at all if it plays out that way. If UT beats the other 4 teams in the east and wins all 4 non conference games, that's a solid year and if they can throw on top of that a win against MSU well then it's a hell of a year for Pruitt.
U like a the smoke 💨?

Reactions: RollerVol
A&M has a real shot at beating UGA, and possibly Bama, at Kyle Field. Clemson is just going to roll into the NC game, again.
Ultimately, other than UT handling our own stuff and improving, A&M is probably THE key to disrupting Bama. They've got the recruiting base, facilities, fan support and arguably top notch coach. With the salary Jimbo's making, he needs to start chipping away at Bama. IF they can get good enough to fracture Bama dominance, then that's good for us because we don't play them every year, and the aura of Bama being the Holy Grail of CFB gets a little tainted, and they get pulled back down to the pack, to some degree.

Ultimately, other than UT handling our own stuff and improving, A&M is probably THE key to disrupting Bama. They've got the recruiting base, facilities, fan support and arguably top notch coach. With the salary Jimbo's making, he needs to start chipping away at Bama. IF they can get good enough to fracture Bama dominance, then that's good for us because we don't play them every year, and the aura of Bama being the Holy Grail of CFB gets a little tainted, and they get pulled back down to the pack, to some degree.
Historically the teams that have knocked Alabama down a level are LSU, Auburn and Tennessee, adding A&M to the list could mean that Alabama's days at the top are numbered as all 4 teams are trending up in my opinion and I predict that the tide lose to one of those 4 THIS year!

Historically the teams that have knocked Alabama down a level are LSU, Auburn and Tennessee, adding A&M to the list could mean that Alabama's days at the top are numbered as all 4 teams are trending up in my opinion and I predict that the tide lose to one of those 4 THIS year!

Lol. And? Didn't they lose to Auburn just 2 years ago, thier only loss, and win a National Championship 3 games later?

You guys kill me. You want the enthusiasm of a program on the rise but no accountability if it doesn't pan out. Nothing works that way. Nothing.
It is the off season and this is a fan forum...so, if you can’t show enthusiasm in offseason, what’s the point? Eternal pessimism isn’t as much fun. We all know the ship will turn...just don’t know when.

It is the off season and this is a fan forum...so, if you can’t show enthusiasm in offseason, what’s the point? Eternal pessimism isn’t as much fun. We all know the ship will turn...just don’t know when.

Fine, be enthusiastic, but if it doesn't pan out I'm personally going to hold you personally accountable!!!

th

ESPN has updated their preseason FPI for the upcoming season and has our beloved Vols at 15th

ESPN updates preseason Football Power Index for 2019

No way will we even sniff the top 25 in any of the other polls.

Does this mean ESPN loves us again?

SIAP

This is certainly an outlier poll but the basis of it is returning starters, and returning offensive production. In that regard, TN is certainly in a great position to improve their stock relative to other teams.

Schedule relative to typical Tennessee seasons is much more favorable too.

Looks about right, I guess. Although I’m not sure why we would be picked to finish ahead of Vandy.
FPI is pretty heavily slanted on returning starts (especially at QB) and recruiting rankings over the past few seasons, from my understanding. We are easily better on paper than Vandy.

But they've won 3 straight against us, so who knows. Games aren't played on paper.

What I took from the article (which was a pretty fair breakdown of all teams I thought), is that 4 thru 7 in the division is basically a push. It's Georgia, Florida, Mizzou, then the rest of us. It also has our win prediction at 6.5 on the low side and 7.6 on the high. That seems to line up pretty well with what most on the board are predicting.

With the starters Kentucky and Vandy will have to replace, it really shouldn't be that difficult to finish ahead of them. Should be rebuilding years for both. And South Carolina's schedule is absolutely brutal, so it isn't that far-fetched to think we could finish ahead of them as well.

But again, who knows. We blew the Carolina game last year, curb-stomped the best Kentucky team in decades, then got boat-raced by Mizzou and Vandy.

This is a weird team. I can't really disagree with someone that says 4 wins total, and I can see why some predict 8 wins.

Did they mistakenly juxtapose the numbers? This team will be much closer to 51st in the country than 15th.

UT will most likely win 7 or 8 games this year. What the FPI is saying is that the teams with a lower FPI score wouldn’t do any better with our schedule. Bama, UGA, and UF are guaranteed losses for all but a handful of college football teams. FPI shows how unbalanced CFB is and why teams like UCF have no business anywhere close to the playoffs

Amazing that national publications dont have editors or journalists that can police grammar errors. Read about Clemson and note the author using the homonym "their" instead of " they're " to describe Clemson. That is elementary school stuff, and even if the author missed the error, an editor should certainly catch mistakes like that before the article is released. Wow. I certainly make grammatical and punctuation errors here, while typing with 2 thumbs at maybe 60wpm... I expect better from college educated "journalists" that are paid to sit in offices and write professionally. Oh well.

VN Store

Back