Pruitt’s 1st year, and the his future with Tennessee

Yeah I agree. But if he's consistently beating those two then 9-11 wins is a fairly likely result
If he is dominating Florida and Georgia he is winning 10-11 or 12 games in the regular season. Alabama with Saban will be his toughest challenge and maybe one other SEC team may make a game out of it.
Member when we beat both those teams in the same season but still lost the east at Souf culina and Candy?

I member.

Reactions: 08Vol
Yes I do but when the word dominating Georgia and Florida to me that means multiple years of dominating those teams. Not a few plays go our way to win the game or break down ina half for us to get the win

I hope we eventually have to worry about losing Pruitt, but progress can be seen in other areas than the win column. A flat, unmotivated team walked out of the tunnel on 9/1 and lost 40-14. Peaks and valleys later, a flat, unmotivated team walked into the tunnel on 11/24 after losing 38-13. Most former assistants seem to have only paid attention to the part when Saban taught them how to close off practices and be Grade A a$$holes, and didn’t really pick up on “how to win” stuff

Yeah, first we need to at least become bowl eligible.

I think Pruitt is a smart man, he'll have to prove a lot before Bama would consider. However, I think CJP is wanting to build his own legacy, not continue someone else's and UT is a perfect place for a coach line him to say, I didn't need Alabama to prove I was a great coach. the next coach Bama hires will fail...........book it. Nick Satan is very lucky, and he might be the first one to admit, that having a bunch of 5* athletes does make his job easier.

Reactions: njvols
Just a couple of quick points to make about Pruitt as we approach SEC Media Days and the start of Fall practice:

1) Pruitt had a very good first year. Hear me out here:

You pretty much ALWAYS go backwards in Year 1. Pruitt took over the actual worst team in Tennessee history, and in Year 1 went against the toughest schedule Tennessee has had to play in as far back as I can remember (do you all realize that aside from the 3 scrubs and Vandy, every team we played either started or finished the year ranked in the Top 25? 4 of which either started or finished in the Top 10?? That’s unheard of.) Pruitt should have won 3 games last year. Instead, Pruitt:

-Increased our win total from 2017 by 1 game
-Increased our conference win total by 2 games
-Beat two Top 25 teams, one of which was on their field
-Beat an SEC West team for the first time in 8 years
-Improved Tennessee in basically every category
-Was only one of 4 teams in the regular season to score 21 or better on Bama (the next two SEC teams they played were shut out)

And again, did this all in Year 1, taking over the worst team in school history, and going against one of the toughest schedules in school history.

We have great reason for optimism under Pruitt.

Now: Reality check.

Saban will retire at some point in the next few years, and Dabo isn’t going to Bama. So either Pruitt hasn’t accomplished enough here to be courted by Bama, or Bama calls and Pruitt will have his bags backed within 5 minutes.

Pruitt is from Bama, played at Bama, his family is in Alabama, and it will be the most desired coaching job in the history of sports. Truth be told, I would question Pruitt’s judgment if he didn’t take the job.

We have less than 2 months until kickoff and our schedule is much much much easier this year. Let’s be appreciative of what Pruitt has done so far and get ready to enjoy the 2019 season.

I don't have to tell you what this looks like if Vandy and Mizzou break out the cans of whoop azz again this year.

Ask Doug Dickey how it worked for him.

It didn't work out as well as he and the Gators would have liked -- but if he hadn't gone back to his alma mater when offered, he likely would have regretted it the rest of his life. He's lucky that he had the opportunity to come back to Tennessee as AD. Was it ever reported that he said he regretted going back to UF? May have been but I don't recall seeing it.

Bama is not interested in CJP as a head coach. Maybe someday but if something happened to Saban today CJP would not even be interviewed.

Reactions: Remy
Since you’re unaware, Pruitt helped win a natty there as the FSU DC in 2013. Taggart sucks and Seminole fans will be desperate for a nostalgia hire in the next cycle. There were already articles listing him as a potential hire before Taggart, too. Their next Bobby Bowden? They hope so.

List to replace Jimbo

But I thought no one had him on their list.

We are the next Clemson, Pruitt is the next Dabo. He will win a national championship before Saban retires and Fulmer will make him the highest paid college football coach in the country. That's why he he won't go to Alabama. Also, he will have a statue in front of the stadium and a street names after him one day. Someone refresh this in twenty years so i can float. 😁

The Boogie Man’s after you, so don’t believe every thing he tells you, after all, he’s after You!

But I thought no one had him on their list.

According to a CBS writer FSU had him around #6 but the reality of that is debatable. When Taggart is out at the end of 2019 or 2020 Pruitt will get a call now that he has HC experience.

But, whether he goes to Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee, he will take a great recruiting class with him.

According to a CBS writer FSU had him around #6 but the reality of that is debatable. When Taggart is out at the end of 2019 or 2020 Pruitt will get a call now that he has HC experience.
FSU is a dumpster fire and hopefully by that point we will not be. If we hire a capable AD to succeed Fulmer I’d think Pruitt wouldn’t be too interested in the Seminoles.

Wouldn't surprise me.

And I know everyone jokes about it, but it's a very real possibility Pruitt is going to be an excellent/elite coach and it's definitely our luck that he wins championships in a few years, at another school.

Obviously we need to only be concerned with 2019 right now, but the future is on the way whether we like it or not.

Premature, often?
I hope he stays. UT could probably compete, monetarily, with anyone. Especially if he's built the program to that level of respect and relevance. But money is not going to keep CJP. He may opt to stay, and bypass a job in Tallahassee. But, I would seriously doubt his sanity, if he passed on Bama. That is his home.
If Fulmer had coached at Bama, successfully, and UT came calling, Fulmer would've left. No amount of money would keep him from his Alma Mater. I think CJP would take the Bama job, if offered, in the future. But alot of things would have to happen. All positives for The University of Tennessee Football Program.
Conversely, the same may be said about Dabo Swinney. But, Clemson is as successful as Bama, at the moment, and they can afford to throw monstrous cash at him.
It is really more about the timing of Saban's most anticipated exit. Will it be sooner than later? If sooner, we are probably safe, and Dabo will likely go to Tuscaloosa. Which brings another problem. Another topnotch coach, leading a topnotch program, on the schedule, every year. So who's worse? Saban or Dabo?
I think CJP rises to the occasion, no matter who he faces. But, all in time. The process rolls on.

I have a good idea. Let's sit around wasting time discussing a hypothetical scenario that may or may not occur in a few years. Hey we are all experts on the subject and some of us know CJP's intentions even if he doesn't. It's impossible to be happy at a school that's given you everything you've asked for because it's not in the state you were born. I just don't see how he endures such a travesty.

VN Store

Back