Good Article on JG at Manning Camp

So, Racioppi, the guy who gets paid by JG to train JG was complimentary of JG?
Glad you only read that part of the article. Why was he there if that was his only source of income? 😏

Hes had bad games sure but if the Oline whiffs on a block or the depth just isn’t there what else can it be? He’s not nearly as bad as some poster swear he is
Not so much bad games as weaknesses. He's had a long standing problem of holding the ball too long and not anticipating throws. A weak OL magnifies that. If he were great at it... we might not be harping on the OL as much.

There were some whiffs. Most OL's have them. This one had more. But they also had a QB who seemed unable to recognize D's pre-snap and then had to "think about it" after the snap. JG is a good athlete. It is a mystery as to why he doesn't manage the pocket better. Stepping into the right spot can make all the difference for an OL.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
His biggest problem has been playing without protection...he just can’t seem to manage the pocket well or make good decisions with multiple defenders on top of him.
That's actually not true. The OL had too many breakdowns. No one is excusing them. But he doesn't see coverage and pressure pre-snap then adjust. There were times when an OL lost leverage and JG needed to reposition to put the OL between himself and the rusher again... and he did the opposite.

It goes deeper but it isn't likely you'll give consideration so I'll just leave it there. It is much easier just to blame everything on the OL... regardless of whether all the blame should go on them or not.

104.5 the zone in Nashville had a guy on last year and this year to talk about who was impressive at the Manning camp. I can't remember his name but he's obviously from Louisiana and loves LSU, anyway, he hasn't had anything good to say about JG last year or this year. Doesn't seem to be impressed with him at all. He seemed real big on Martinez at Nebraska and some guy at Utah State.

I just remembered the name 😄 Mike Dettillie. Publishes an NFL draft report and does radio in LSU country.

That's actually not true. The OL had too many breakdowns. No one is excusing them. But he doesn't see coverage and pressure pre-snap then adjust. There were times when an OL lost leverage and JG needed to reposition to put the OL between himself and the rusher again... and he did the opposite.

It goes deeper but it isn't likely you'll give consideration so I'll just leave it there. It is much easier just to blame everything on the OL... regardless of whether all the blame should go on them or not.

Everyone has their opinions...I haven’t seen him play with an SEC caliber OL and he definitely struggled when playing against an SEC caliber D...I hope the OL is improved this year so that we can move from dead last in the conference in rushing as the running game is a QB’s best friend. But if it’s not then I expect to see teams t-off on the QB with their rush and press cover the short routes as they did most of last year...

Reactions: lexkyvol
When posters defend JG by saying how bad the O-line sucks, are they not doing the same thing?

I’m not really defending JG...just saying the OL play hasn’t been SEC caliber for some time...I attributed much of that to Butch and his offensive scheme and expected better results last year. But we lost two of our better guys early and didn’t really look any different than Butch’s teams (without Dobbs).
If you can’t block well enough to run the ball it’s just not gonna be a good year. I would love to see us be in at least in the top half (if not top quartile) but that may be too much to hope for in terms of a single year improvement.

“One of the biggest arms in college football,” Whitfield said. “I don’t think people really understand and they won’t know what is coming when they see it this fall.
“He is the prototype of what you want going into the SEC. With all that legendary strength and quickness and how all of those defenders shrink the field, you need someone who can equal that out and he is that in spades. You will have to guard the depth and width of the field against the Vols going forward.”

That’s George Whitfield, Jr in 2017. The last offseason QB coach JG had. We went 0-8 in the SEC.

That season wasn’t all on JG but it’s the job of these trainers to chat up their clients.

Reactions: LittleVol
That’s George Whitfield, Jr in 2017. The last offseason QB coach JG had. We went 0-8 in the SEC.

That season wasn’t all on JG but it’s the job of these trainers to chat up their clients.
He work at the Manning Passing Academy too? With anybody?

“One of the biggest arms in college football,” Whitfield said. “I don’t think people really understand and they won’t know what is coming when they see it this fall.
“He is the prototype of what you want going into the SEC. With all that legendary strength and quickness and how all of those defenders shrink the field, you need someone who can equal that out and he is that in spades. You will have to guard the depth and width of the field against the Vols going forward.”

He lost me at legendary quickness. I am looking for something legendary about JG, but I don't see how he produces that with his supporting cast on the roster. If the guys step up, it could come together. But outside of Trey Smith's freshman season, who has stepped up since John Kelly?

Yeah almost every sports analyst was wrong when they said how bad our OL was.

Reactions: lexkyvol

Worst offensive line in the history of volunteer football. Jack nuts we’re offside 4 times a game too.

If the light really comes on for JG and the Oline overperforms, who knows 7-8 wins are quite possible

Reactions: Sarms58

VN Store

Back