Uros Plavsic commits to Tennessee

Well you claimed what Plavsic didn’t do in picking a school, I was asking if you were sure about those facts, and you admitted you weren’t.

I feel pretty confident if the assistant was picked up by Tennessee it would have been announced by now. Barnes hasn’t mentioned it so I’m under the assumption that hasn’t happened.

From what I've read HC coaching changes no longer require a waiver. Am I reading it wrong?

Incoming freshman college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.
That’s only for players that have head coaches that leave before they ever play

Reactions: AlcoVOLic
I feel pretty confident if the assistant was picked up by Tennessee it would have been announced by now. Barnes hasn’t mentioned it so I’m under the assumption that hasn’t happened.

Bto seems to know we have hired him

If so that makes a waiver being granted stronger imo

Him being picked up as an assistant is far from the only way Tennessee could use it in their favor

Bto seems to know we have hired him

If so that makes a waiver being granted stronger imo
I’m not sure that they have, but I’ve heard they’ll do what’s needed to...if that means finding a BS job for him somewhere on campus (not necessarily the hoops staff) then they will likely do that. I think him simply being back in the Knoxville area along with Plavsic’s host family and pretty much all of his known American support group being around Knoxville will be enough.

Reactions: esands88
Let's throw the waiver/eligibility discussion to the side for a bit.

Do we actually know much about Plavsic as a player? The 1 or 2 videos on YT from his time in Chattanooga aren't exactly glowing in my opinion. He looked stiff and awkwardly tall. Has he filled out more? Become more flexible and mobile? Can he even shoot outside of 5 feet or play any kind of physical defense?

I'm just curious what we actually know. So many assume he's starting if he gets eligible but I'm not even positive he's a starting level player.

Let's throw the waiver/eligibility discussion to the side for a bit.

Do we actually know much about Plavsic as a player? The 1 or 2 videos on YT from his time in Chattanooga aren't exactly glowing in my opinion. He looked stiff and awkwardly tall. Has he filled out more? Become more flexible and mobile? Can he even shoot outside of 5 feet or play any kind of physical defense?

I'm just curious what we actually know. So many assume he's starting if he gets eligible but I'm not even positive he's a starting level player.
Did you watch his FIBA video? Looked quite active on the offensive boards in the little I watched while at Chatt. Not your typical freshmen. College ready body and 20 years old. Barnes will do wonders. If he gets cleared.

Hmmm, I definitely don’t see stiff when you consider he’s 7’1”...no he doesn’t move like a 6’2” guard, but he’s one of the more fluid guys over 7’ that I’ve seen. Reports out of Arizona State and Tennessee were that he has a very good shot and is not someone that can just be left alone at the 3 point line, he will absolutely pull up and knock down a high percentage.

He definitely has filled out physically, supposedly putting on in the neighborhood of 25 pounds during his redshirt year, I would venture to guess he puts a few more on before the season starts working with the Tennessee staff.

You have to always be a little cautious with the reports from media but the scuttlebutt out of Pratt Pavilion seemed to be that Plavsic was by far the best big when he stepped on campus, and that he would’ve pushed Kyle Alexander fro minutes last year, offensively he’s already more skilled reportedly.

You can bet RB knows that Plavsic is going to get the wavier to play. Burns waiting until now is no magic day. JMHO as always

Did you watch his FIBA video? Looked quite active on the offensive boards in the little I watched while at Chatt. Not your typical freshmen. College ready body and 20 years old. Barnes will do wonders. If he gets cleared.

Can you link me to his FIBA videos? For some reason I can't find it in Google or on the thread but I could be totally missing it.

Edit: Found it. I am definitely more encouraged by that video than any of the Hamilton Heights vids. Still unsure overall but I saw a different player and style there that suited his game better.

Hmmm, I definitely don’t see stiff when you consider he’s 7’1”...no he doesn’t move like a 6’2” guard, but he’s one of the more fluid guys over 7’ that I’ve seen. Reports out of Arizona State and Tennessee were that he has a very good shot and is not someone that can just be left alone at the 3 point line, he will absolutely pull up and knock down a high percentage.

He definitely has filled out physically, supposedly putting on in the neighborhood of 25 pounds during his redshirt year, I would venture to guess he puts a few more on before the season starts working with the Tennessee staff.

You have to always be a little cautious with the reports from media but the scuttlebutt out of Pratt Pavilion seemed to be that Plavsic was by far the best big when he stepped on campus, and that he would’ve pushed Kyle Alexander fro minutes last year, offensively he’s already more skilled reportedly.

I'd love to be happily surprised. I didn't play D1 but I've played competitively my entire life and some small college ball. Played against a lot of 7'+ guys. In comparison, he doesn't look the stiffest, but he also didn't strike me as anything special. The lack of fluidity and rigidity between his lower back and neck (they almost always looked aligned, no deviation or motion between them, basically looked like his spine from his lower back to the top of his head was a steel pole) is what caused me to say he looked stiff and immobile. I do hope I'm wrong and everyone else who loves him is right. I still believe he can help for sure, just maybe not a 12/8 kinda guy yet.

Last edited:
Can you link me to his FIBA videos? For some reason I can't find it in Google or on the thread but I could be totally missing it.

I'd love to be happily surprised. I didn't play D1 but I've played competitively my entire life and some small college ball. Played against a lot of 7'+ guys. In comparison, he doesn't look the stiffest, but he also didn't strike me as anything special. The lack of fluidity and rigidity between his lower back and neck (they almost always looked aligned, no deviation or motion between them, basically looked like his spine from his lower back to the top of his head was a steel pole) is what caused me to say he looked stiff and immobile. I do hope I'm wrong and everyone else who loves him is right. I still believe he can help for sure, just maybe not a 12/8 kinda guy yet.

Well Kyle Alexander wasn’t a 12/8 guy either, even as a senior, but I think most would gladly take him another year.

Well Kyle Alexander wasn’t a 12/8 guy either, even as a senior, but I think most would gladly take him another year.

No, but with Grant/Admiral and the gang he wasn't required to be. He still didn't live up to expectations and his potential every night given the situation he was in, which I thought was ideal.

I was just trying to get a feel for people's expectations of Uros. The way I've read the board was everyone had high expectations for him and I threw out those stats given that there's no true go-to player currently on the team.

Reactions: VOLED
You can bet RB knows that Plavsic is going to get the wavier to play. Burns waiting until now is no magic day. JMHO as always
There is no way Barnes knows this. They were recruiting Blackshear and Bilau for a reason.
I’ll bet they were wishing they’d tried to either sign Bilau or another guard now. I think they really believed they had Blackshear. Barnes was unable to capitalize on last year’s results.
They are in in a lot of big names for 2020 but I’ll believe it when I see it. One commit so far and it’s not like thy have trouble selling guard recruits on playing time.

Edit: Found it. I am definitely more encouraged by that video than any of the Hamilton Heights vids. Still unsure overall but I saw a different player and style there that suited his game better.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
No, but with Grant/Admiral and the gang he wasn't required to be. He still didn't live up to expectations and his potential every night given the situation he was in, which I thought was ideal.

I was just trying to get a feel for people's expectations of Uros. The way I've read the board was everyone had high expectations for him and I threw out those stats given that there's no true go-to player currently on the team.
KA didn’t live up to expectations? He arrived here as a 300 and something ranked recruit with very few HM offers, only had been playing basketball a couple years, would’ve redshirted anywhere else...I would say he greatly exceeded expectations.

There is no way Barnes knows this. They were recruiting Blackshear and Bilau for a reason.
I’ll bet they were wishing they’d tried to either sign Bilau or another guard now. I think they really believed they had Blackshear. Barnes was unable to capitalize on last year’s results.
They are in in a lot of big names for 2020 but I’ll believe it when I see it. One commit so far and it’s not like thy have trouble selling guard recruits on playing time.
They didn’t want Bilau, I’m not sure why you continue to struggle with this concept.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Another plus on Plavsic is his extensive experience playing in fiba which thrives on team play rather than the star system which you see more often in USA HS ball. You can see his ability and willingness to pass it to the open man. Should fit right in with the adjustments Barnes will need to make with this roster. Could also be one of the best we've seen on the offensive glass in a while.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
KA didn’t live up to expectations? He arrived here as a 300 and something ranked recruit with very few HM offers, only had been playing basketball a couple years, would’ve redshirted anywhere else...I would say he greatly exceeded expectations.

Sorry, but I change my expectations for my players every year for my high school team. I don't have the same expectations for a player when he was a freshman than as a senior. I would assume Rick Barnes raises expectations every year too. So I think it's safe to say as a senior, his most recent year, he did not live up to expectations of growth and ability, consistently thoughout his senior year.

I'm sorry I didn't specify I was only referring to the latest season, should've [Edit: Should NOT] have assumed we were on the same page.

Sorry, but I change my expectations for my players every year for my high school team. I don't have the same expectations for a player when he was a freshman than as a senior. I would assume Rick Barnes raises expectations every year too. So I think it's safe to say as a senior, his most recent year, he did not live up to expectations of growth and ability, consistently thoughout his senior year.

I'm sorry I didn't specify I was only referring to the latest season, should've [Edit: Should NOT] have assumed we were on the same page.

His production climbed every year, including his senior season...maybe it wasn’t what you wanted but I think it was about what was expected...at least imo.

His production climbed every year, including his senior season...maybe it wasn’t what you wanted but I think it was about what was expected...at least imo.

I disagree with it was what was expected. I'd venture to say that RB had higher expectations than that given the amount of attention the rest of the team was going to take from other teams. I'm not hating on him, I just think he could've been better his senior year. I don't think that's far-fetched to say.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I disagree with it was what was expected. I'd venture to say that RB had higher expectations than that given the amount of attention the rest of the team was going to take from other teams. I'm not hating on him, I just think he could've been better his senior year. I don't think that's far-fetched to say.
You would be in agreement with some of the statements Barnes made after some of his best games. Barnes thought he should be a double double guy.

He could have been better, but I think you’ll also find Barnes probably had higher expectations for every single player...if you ask Barnes he thinks Williams underachieved, so I’m not sure how fair of a barometer that really is.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back