How much can Jim Chaney improve the Tennessee offense in year one?

Chaney's history typically shows little improvement in Y1, big improvement Y2. But the bar for this offense should be higher. 1)we've been terrible, lots of room to be better, 2) veteran offense. These guys know each other. They don't need a genius playcaller, just any semblance of a run game, starting and ending with the OL in all areas. This is a Friend/OL issue, not as much on Chaney's shoulders right away. His big role will be in elevating us in 2020/2021.
I remember that QB and RB void in 2010.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Dooley got fired. Butch didn’t want to retain him or Pittman (should have been a pretty clear early warning sign the man had no clue, considering their replacements). He had to get off a sinking ship at Arky and then Kirby is just awful to work for. I don’t think any of that means he’s some kind of guy that will bounce around necessarily. He spent 8-9 years at Purdue.

I don't blame him for not retaining them. Butch had his system (obv didn't work) and those guys didn't fit it.

I don’t expect a huge jump in offensive production. I expect to see Chaney design plays to get the ball out of JGs hands on rhythm. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised to see JGs YPA go down, completion percentage go up and td to int ratio stay around the same. I figure we’ll possibly see us finish around 6th-8th in the SEC until we get some speed on the outside that defenses have to respect. Once that happens there will be a completely different look on offense. Defenses won’t be able to stack the box like they do now opening up running lanes. They won’t be able to bank on the short passing game taking a safety(or 2)out of the box opening up throwing lanes to all 3 levels. The o line suddenly doesn’t have to account for more than expected and looks like a strength rather than a weakness and we can effectively “mix it up” shooting our average PPG from around 20 to about 31. Wishful thinking? Maybe['ll

Another way to keep Lb's from pinning their ears back is to utilize the Tight end and RB's
More. Cheney is good at this!

Unlike Helton (who had no P5 coordinating experience), I would expect Chaney will know how to gameplan around a leaky OL and actually create plays to give the ball to playmakers in space...
We gonna see a lot of slants and quick in's!

Reactions: volsrock09
It’s going to come down to the oline. If they improve to maybe 50% of last year production they we will light the scoreboard up. If we play like we did against ETSU last season then we can’t expect much more from last year.

I went back and watched the ETSU game this weekend. Three man rush they were stopping the back in the backfield and knocking JG down.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
This is true and one thing I didn’t think about while making that post. There’s a definite possibility to see all offensive categories go up slightly with this new found thought. Lol
What impressed me the most about Chaney was seeing him in action in the spring game. He called 3 different offenses in an effort to play to which ever qbs strengths. It was like watching Nicolas Cage in “Face Off”. Believe it or not that’s a skill most don’t have imo and it showed his versatility.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Yep. And they still were not nearly as bad as our OL has been the past few years.

All 11 have to be on the same page. A WR running the wrong route, the RB not picking up his check, calling the wrong blocking scheme, etc. can also make the OL look bad. No doubt we need a lot of improvement on the OL. but not every negative play or sack was on the OL. I believe this is where we show improvement. Playing fast and not having to think about what you suppose to do on every play will make us a lot better. One bad apple can definitely spoil the barrel.

Reactions: 1vol8
All 11 have to be on the same page. A WR running the wrong route, the RB not picking up his check, calling the wrong blocking scheme, etc. can also make the OL look bad. No doubt we need a lot of improvement on the OL. but not every negative play or sack was on the OL. I believe this is where we show improvement. Playing fast and not having to think about what you suppose to do on every play will make us a lot better. One bad apple can definitely spoil the barrel.

I agree but our oline was and has been terrible for a long time. When a player is getting his butt kicked on one on one and then stands there and watch the guy knock the quarterback down or tackle the tailback for a loss that is on him.

Reactions: chrismc1000
I agree but our oline was and has been terrible for a long time. When a player is getting his butt kicked on one on one and then stands there and watch the guy knock the quarterback down or tackle the tailback for a loss that is on him.
Do any of ya’ll know how well Chaney and Friend jive together ?? Are they on the same par ? I have faith in coach Chaney but Will Friend failed the test last year IMHO. I know he didn’t have much to work with, but I swear my old HS coach could have done better.

Like someone said previously we’re gonna get a heavy dose of screens, slants, crosses, and underneath routes to help the online

Had CLK let him call that play in the Bama game after that long pass instead of laying up for a 50 yard FG with a lame legged kicker, we would have won that game!

Depending on the talent that’s been developed, he should have us better that we’ve been since and before Dobbs.
Maybe. But Lane did a hell of a job to get us within a field goal of beating the eventual national champion

Dooley got fired. Butch didn’t want to retain him or Pittman (should have been a pretty clear early warning sign the man had no clue, considering their replacements). He had to get off a sinking ship at Arky and then Kirby is just awful to work for. I don’t think any of that means he’s some kind of guy that will bounce around necessarily. He spent 8-9 years at Purdue.

....and there were plenty of us on here saying just that. This board was begging the trumpet player to keep Pittman. But, he was bringing the "best coaching staff in America" (Cinn's) to Knoxville

Chaney should be able to reach 7 wins with this bunch. He a least has some veteran weapons to work with on offense.

Reactions: HalfullVol

VN Store

Back