Tankers Attacked In Gulf: Price of Oil Up

And by the way... something that has kind of been glossed over in here or ignored, but that drone was nearly a quarter billion dollar piece of equipment that was shot down out of the sky by the Iranians. What kind of vaporware are our tax dollars paying for in our weapons and reconnaissance systems?

And by the way... something that has kind of been glossed over in here or ignored, but that drone was nearly a quarter billion dollar piece of equipment that was shot down out of the sky by the Iranians. What kind of vaporware are our tax dollars paying for in our weapons and reconnaissance systems?

Yeah, that seems a bit way too exorbitant for a drone. Must have had some nice toys on it, or, like the government does, spend 4 billion on a website that doesn't work when you could have done it for less than 20 million.

2018 budget on drones: $6.97 billion for drone related procurement, R&D, and system specific construction.

Unit cost of a drone in 2010 was just over 4million.

"A Global Hawk has a unit cost of roughly $123 million, while an F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter costs only $89 million." "Reaper drone, a roughly $15 million drone "

Iran just shot down one of the US military's most advanced drones — it costs more than an F-35 stealth fighter

That's some expensive toys.

Yeah, that seems a bit way too exorbitant for a drone. Must have had some nice toys on it, or, like the government does, spend 4 billion on a website that doesn't work when you could have done it for less than 20 million.

2018 budget on drones: $6.97 billion for drone related procurement, R&D, and system specific construction.

"A Global Hawk has a unit cost of roughly $123 million, while an F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter costs only $89 million." "Reaper drone, a roughly $15 million drone "

Iran just shot down one of the US military's most advanced drones — it costs more than an F-35 stealth fighter

The global hawk is basically a U-2 but way better that can stay on target for up to 32 hours.

Reactions: tennvols77
You two are from the military, how many cool and unbelievable toys do we not even know about? Can't begin to imagine what we have done in the last 10 years let alone what's coming down the pipeline.

You two are from the military, how many cool and unbelievable toys do we not even know about? Can't begin to imagine what we have done in the last 10 years let alone what's coming down the pipeline.

Every time the enemy or rival country adopts, create a new weapon system or changes tactics, we must do the same. I’ve seen some cool stuff over the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennvols77
I am waiting to see a city scale EMP weapon used, lasers on aircraft instead of huge ships, and rail guns deployed in a meaningful large scale way. I hope we never stopped working on EMP weapons. Pretty much everything our enemies use is worthless after one " pulses". I watched video of 1 mounted on a humvee or something that could fry a vehicle at a pretty good distance...those could take out aircraft, missiles, ICBMs, tanks ships power grids radio and cell towers you name it...

I am waiting to see a city scale EMP weapon used, lasers on aircraft instead of huge ships, and rail guns deployed in a meaningful large scale way. I hope we never stopped working on EMP weapons. Pretty much everything our enemies use is worthless after one " pulses". I watched video of 1 mounted on a humvee or something that could fry a vehicle at a pretty good distance...those could take out aircraft, missiles, ICBMs, tanks ships power grids radio and cell towers you name it...

I hope a weapon like that is never used in my lifetime.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I'm pretty sure they have been in the area (Saudi Arabia, UAE) for a while maybe they have just been deployed to Qatar for the first time.
Our forces don’t operate out of Saudi Arabia anymore. But the 22s were in Qatar and we’re replaced awhile by by F-35s.

190627-F-OE121-0183.jpg

Air Force F-22 Raptors arrive at Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, on June 27 to defend American forces and interests in U.S. Central Command. (Tech. Sgt. Nichelle Anderson/Air Force)

5498543.jpg

The Global Hawk is a huge aircraft. It’s just unmanned.

Not your typical “drone”...

The Global Hawk isn't your standard drone its bigger than Cessna.

110526-F-YQ806-362.png
MMJEMQ3YLRC27EKITAFCM22B6Q.jpg

The Global Hawk is a huge aircraft. It’s just unmanned.

Not your typical “drone”...
No matter, I think the point is that a quarter billion dollar piece of equipment was knocked out of the sky by modest (modest in contemporary terms) weaponry in the hands of the Iranians.

VN Store

Back