Memphis Football has us SKEERED?

OrangeSoddyDaisy

Sounds like Memphis is ready to get it on. Why are we hesitating? Everyone understands they have been better than us for the past decade almost and probably will be for the next 2 years, but we've got to start establishing ourselves at some point. Not playing an obvious in-state rival looks like we don't have confidence.

Phillip Fulmer open to Tennessee playing in Memphis. Against Memphis? Maybe not.

Sounds like Memphis is ready to get it on. Why are we hesitating? Everyone understands they have been better than us for the past decade almost and probably will be for the next 2 years, but we've got to start establishing ourselves at some point. Not playing an obvious in-state rival looks like we don't have confidence.

Phillip Fulmer open to Tennessee playing in Memphis. Against Memphis? Maybe not.

Better than us how?..........their schedule? NO next 2 years?.........really UT does not lack confidence, schedules are more complicated than that, just keep your panties on, and Memphis, like Vandy, and KY will be regular season Ws.

Better than us how?..........their schedule? NO next 2 years?.........really UT does not lack confidence, schedules are more complicated than that, just keep your panties on, and Memphis, like Vandy, and KY will be regular season Ws.

I hear what you are saying but it's hard to ignore where we have been the last 12-15 years and how they've progressed. Bowl games every year and expected to be undefeated this year.

Reactions: 08Vol
Nothing to gain Phil. Slow play this. Out of this horrible decade, we need to all be thankful for the fact that Memphis got pi$$y @ hoops and cancelled the Football series. It's about the only + thing I can think has happened since 2007. This has been a huge missed opportunity for Tiger High in FB.

Reactions: 08Vol and tennrich1
Why the hell would we play them? We win then yay who cares we beat Memphis, but if we lose then we're a laughing stock. I don't know why Ole Miss is opening at Memphis this year they're just asking for an ugly loss to start the season. If we're gonna schedule a tough OOC opponent it might as well be another P5 team not a G5 team.

Nothing to gain Phil. Slow play this. Out of this horrible decade, we need to all be thankful for the fact that Memphis got pi$$y @ hoops and cancelled the Football series. It's about the only + thing I can think has happened since 2007.

Well said.

Sign up for a home and home series with Memphis before we get our footing and we may never recover. Ever. Except for the time they beat us with Peyton Manning at QB, we've owned them. I'm afraid the tables have turned.

Reactions: 08Vol
Why the hell would we play them? We win then yay who cares we beat Memphis, but if we lose then we're a laughing stock. I don't know why Ole Miss is opening at Memphis this year they're just asking for an ugly loss to start the season. If we're gonna schedule a tough OOC opponent it might as well be another P5 team not a G5 team.

Good point ... ignoring we scheduled Georgia State, Indiana State, ETSU, Chatt, UAB, and Charlotte since 2017.

Memphis would have beat us the last few years, this is the year I think starts a trend that they couldn’t beat us, their QB doesn’t have the arm to stretch the defense like their offense thrives on and I don’t see them being able to replace Darrell Henderson and Tony Pollard

I don't know dude. They scared UCF to death the last 2 years. I'm kinda like Fulmer on this one ... best to leave them be.

Until they are comfortable with team depth, maybe. But it takes three or four years in most cases to schedule an opponent and then play them. So, if it is best to leave them alone, that is showing a lack of faith in your program to advance, and your coaching staff to get us ready down the road. Never thought I would hear Tennessee, even in rebuilding mode, fearful to schedule Memphis in 4 years. Gutless when I think about it.

I remember going to the the game the last time we played them, in Knoxville. Can't remember their RB but I do remember he was on the field during warm ups then told their coach he didn't feel like playing. So, I didn't get to see him play.

Lets not get too carried away with Memphis. They were 8-6 with a terrible schedule. Their only good win was against Houston who was 8-5. Every other team they beat had a losing record.

I agree. Let's get them on the schedule. If not, we're scared of an 8-6 with a terrible schedule.

I remember going to the the game the last time we played them, in Knoxville. Can't remember their RB but I do remember he was on the field during warm ups then told their coach he didn't feel like playing. So, I didn't get to see him play.

DeAngelo Williams

I was there too. He had death threats that day and got pulled. We would have gotten tooled had he played. Barely won anyway.

Reactions: VOLSONLY and 08Vol

Nothing to be gained for us, all it does is elevate Tiger High’s program if they beat the SEC state school. No thanks.

I agree. Let's get them on the schedule. If not, we're scared of an 8-6 with a terrible schedule.
Nothing to do with being “scared”, this ain’t the grade school playground. There’s just no benefit for Tennessee to play them, none. They can go pound sand, we don’t owe that crap school the respect or courtesy.

If we played in Memphis it would be just like playing in Neyland just with 80k less seats.

The implication we are scared to play Memphis on their field is hilarious. Phil just doesn't want our fans to go down their and generate 50% of their season revenue for them.

Until they are comfortable with team depth, maybe. But it takes three or four years in most cases to schedule an opponent and then play them. So, if it is best to leave them alone, that is showing a lack of faith in your program to advance, and your coaching staff to get us ready down the road. Never thought I would hear Tennessee, even in rebuilding mode, fearful to schedule Memphis in 4 years. Gutless when I think about it.

This tells me that the confidence in Knoxville of rebuilding in the next 4 years is questionable at best.

If I were Alabama, the Mississippi schools, Memphis, or Missouri I would plaster this all over my recruiting boards to let the kids in West Tennessee know that UT is no longer a significant program.

Reactions: knoxvol16

VN Store

Back