'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

I think I'm with you on this.

It reminds me of Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M with two 5-star quarterbacks, one a future Heisman trophy winner and the #1 overall pick in the draft, and loses both guys to transfers, ends up without a quarterback, and loses his job.

It may not be a popular position on a fan board but in a situation like this I’m going to side with the recruit. The kids need to do what is in their best interest. Jalen Hurts will likely start for OU this year, Fields for Ohio State, and Bryant for Missouri. There’s also a good likelihood that Stevens starts for Mississippi State. Jacob Eason is expected to start for Washington and according to one NFL scout could be a top 2 pick in the 2020 draft.

A situation like this can be perilous for the coach and school that pursues it. Not only did Georgia lose Fields last year but they lost their 3rd string guy too. He transferred to TCU. Smart ended up getting a very raw borderline 4-star 2019 recruit to flip from Ohio State in exchange for Fields and they signed a low 3-star from JUCO. The thinking among some at Dawgnation is that if Fromm goes down this year their season is toast.

So Georgia was able to hold onto Eason after Richt was pushed out and Smart’s team came on board. They were able to sign Fromm the following year and Fields the year after that. For all I know Fromm is the better QB for Georgia’s offense but their QB room was left in shambles. The kids have to do what is in their best interest because coaches don’t really care about them on a personal level. I mean hey if things don’t work out the coaches get a golden parachute so where’s the risk? jmo.

This competition that people talk about for a position that typically doesn’t have a rotation means somebody has to lose. I don’t think Bailey or King either need to put themselves in that predicament. There are enough opportunities at P5 schools that either could probably be starting early wherever they choose to go. jmo.
Yes, to all that.... And if Fromm has to go down, may it be before they play us not after.

Sumlin had the #1QB in the country in successive classes and wasn't honest with the kids or their families. I don't see this as remotely similar. If we're going to get back on top, we have to recruit at that level. Competition breeds champions.

I want whomever is #1 on Pruitt and Chaney’s board.

Only thing better would be if we can sign both 1a. and 1b.
He has been working his ass off for us and they clearly wanted Bailey. I'm not an expert but if their skill level is even close to the same, you keep the highly rated one that committed to you first and has been recruiting like hell for you. Jmo.

I’m with ya, Baileys awesome and been doing work on the trail. Glad he’s a Vol. But I still want King.

If JG has a good year, he’s leaving early. One of Shrout or Maurer will likely transfer. We need two bigtime QBs this class.
If JG has a good year it will be his first. What's he leaving for a real job?

I would hope we would stick with this guy and not make him wanna leave. I get the whole afraid of competition argument but he is like in Georgia and I wouldn’t think we would want to piss off Georgia recruiting grounds for a guy from tejas

Imo two QBs tells me this staff expects Jg will go pro if he has great yr. he has already graduated. They expect him to have a good yr. they also probably feel like a good chance Shrout doesn’t stick around long run. So you could potentially be down to Maurer and this why 2 QBs is critical

If JG has a good year it will be his first. What's he leaving for a real job?

It only takes one yr for a QBs to sky rocket to first rd pick. Nfl teams will stretch at that position. Who the heck thought the yr before they were drafted that bortles, Daniel jones, and trubisky would be too 10 picks

This was some of the takes from the rivals guys on their 5-star challenge competition in Atlanta that just concluded:

Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Programs that should be pleased
Sam Spiegelman and Woody Wommack
Rivals.com
The Vols had a great day on Tuesday, with quarterback commit Harrison Bailey winning MVP honors after a very strong showing. Bailey has been a vocal recruiter for the program and having him perform well in front of his peers will only help his recruiting pitch going forward. One of the best guys at the event was also tight end Arik Gilbert, a prime Tennessee target and one of Bailey’s high school teammates. Recent Vols commit Antonio Johnson was also very good, playing both ways and impressing as both a wide receiver and a tight end.
Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: The Farrell Awards
Mike Farrell • Rivals.com
SPIN IT
This award goes to the quarterback who threw the best ball throughout the event – or “spun it” the best. To me it was Tennessee commit Harrison Bailey, who looked like a different quarterback from a year ago. He’s lost weight, sped up his delivery and threw a nice, catchable ball all day long. He was the best quarterback at the event when you combine one-on-ones and the 7-on-7.
Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge: Breaking down the MVPs
Adam Gorney • Rivals.com
QUARTERBACK MVP
Bailey had a fantastic day dropping perfect passes throughout the camp, putting it right on receivers with pace when needed and taking something off when that was the right call as well. No quarterback had the consistency that the Tennessee commit showed throughout the day although it should be noted that all the quarterbacks were impressive. Bailey is noticeably lighter than he was around this time last season but his arm strength is still there and his ability to put the ball right where it needs to be nearly every time really stood out.

HB doesn't lack confidence in his abilities. Surely you don't think that confidence is all it takes to win a job if the coaches already have decided who they prefer. Fields had plenty of confidence. So it's got to be in the back of HB's mind what Fields said happened to him at GA with Kirby and Chaney. I wouldn't waste my college years on coaches that didn't have confidence in me especially if I had plenty of confidence in myself.
I honestly don't believe anyone has already chosen a QB. I think King was Chaney's 1st call because he was his 1st choice as a second QB.
If you remember, all that 'not into Bailey' stuff was started by a Ga fan on here.
I don't buy it.

I would hope we would stick with this guy and not make him wanna leave. I get the whole afraid of competition argument but he is like in Georgia and I wouldn’t think we would want to piss off Georgia recruiting grounds for a guy from tejas
Long past the point we can walk the King offer back.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLuptuousBOOMS
HB doesn't lack confidence in his abilities. Surely you don't think that confidence is all it takes to win a job if the coaches already have decided who they prefer. Fields had plenty of confidence. So it's got to be in the back of HB's mind what Fields said happened to him at GA with Kirby and Chaney. I wouldn't waste my college years on coaches that didn't have confidence in me especially if I had plenty of confidence in myself.

lol, I don't believe I said confidence is ALL a good quarterback needs, just that it's good to see in Bailey, even before he gets here. I remember going to several games, Butch's first year. Justin Worley never looked confident.

And we lose him once King commits. HB and the rest of his teammates will go to GA and kick our arse the next 4 years... Oh, the luck of a Vol

plz-stop-post.jpg

Risky business. I'm sure Pruitt has been honest, but I'm also sure Bailey didn't expect another top tier QB to be included in the class. Likely expecting more of a developmental guy.
Don’t disagree but football.

VN Store

Back