Extreme Weather Games

'96 Florida game sucked to high Heaven... and it was a constant rain from start to finish. I was at the '94 game at Vandy and Ronnie Milsap (yes, you read that correctly; millenials can Google him) was right behind me. Brutal cold, wind, and had rained earlier so the seats were frozen with ice. Ronnie Milsap looks at me (pun intended) and says, "My ass is frozen to the seat." True story. We balled that day though, so boom!

There was a Florida game (2002 or 2006 I think) I went to in Knoxville that had a freaking monsoon. I think we kicked 5 fields goals and had a ton of fumbles. Ruined a pair of shoes on that trip because of the water standing everywhere.

Reactions: VOLCENTS1985
Temperature-related: Vandy circa 1980. TN wins 42-7, in frostbite weather (even with sun out.) Miss St. game in 1989 or 1990 ('91?) . Heat can't wilt a fantastically lysergic experience, capped off by a very close win in Knoxville. Some ancient Miss St. fans bemoaned the misfortunes of their QB named Sleepy.

yeah it was 2002 - like 7 fumbled snaps in the 1st half

Yea I was at that game too, Clausen if I remember correctly fumbled 3 straight snaps on their 20 yard line and we kicked a FG. God that was a miserable game.

Reactions: oz615
First meeting with Oregon. Had to hang out in the corridor with tens of thousands of wet rats. Big eye-opener in terms of the allure of staying home.

That was the lighting game right? Where the Vols came out really hot and then they stopped the game for what seemed like forever and then Oregon came out and took us to the woodshed?

Been to two crazy rain games - 2010 Oregon and 2017 LSU. I'm sure there have been hotter games, but the 2016 Florida game was the hottest I've ever personally attended. Also the most fun. I wasn't there, but several people I know said the heat was absolutely unbearable at the 2015 Bowling Green game in Nashville. Think it was close to 100 degrees that day - heat index was almost surely over 100.

If memory serves, there was also a 2006 Marshall game that had a weather delay due to rain.

Anybody know if there has ever been a game played at Neyland with visible, measurable snow on the ground that actually impacted the playing surface (not just flurries during the game or something like that)? Surely it has occurred at some point, but I don't know.

Reactions: mrmax86
Was it 1991 against UCLA when it was sooooo stinking hot? So hot, poor Smokey ended up on the injured list after the game due to heat exhaustion? Anyway, wife fainted from the heat and had to removed from the stands via stretcher.
Yes, I was at that game sitting behind the band and those guys were dropping like flies.

First game my friends ever left early when it was still in doubt.

Miserable weather day.

1982 Dudley Field in Nashville. Mid 30's drizzled rain whole game and Vols lost to Vandy.

Was it 1991 against UCLA when it was sooooo stinking hot? So hot, poor Smokey ended up on the injured list after the game due to heat exhaustion? Anyway, wife fainted from the heat and had to removed from the stands via stretcher.

That was freaking hot. We were on row one in DD or EE. Sports center updated Smokey’s condition nightly.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I don't exactly remember the year, but it had to be late '70s or early '80s. I went to the Vandy game at Neyland, and while the weather was sunny, the temperature was ~12 degrees and windy. It is by far the coldest football game I have ever attended. Of course, it didn't help my seats were just below the V O L S sign that used to adorn the top of the stadium.

Don't remember the year but one of the home Vandy games I thought I was gonna Die!!!
It was colder than a bankers heart!!!
:eek:

Don’t think it rained during the actual game but ‘06 Marshall game got pushed back a couple of hours due to storms. I remember they cancelled the Vol Walk prior to the game.

Don’t think it rained during the actual game but ‘06 Marshall game got pushed back a couple of hours due to storms. I remember they cancelled the Vol Walk prior to the game.
It absolutely rained that entire game. That is one my dad and I still talk about. Couldn't see the other side of the stadium for the dang rain.

Been to two crazy rain games - 2010 Oregon and 2017 LSU. I'm sure there have been hotter games, but the 2016 Florida game was the hottest I've ever personally attended. Also the most fun. I wasn't there, but several people I know said the heat was absolutely unbearable at the 2015 Bowling Green game in Nashville. Think it was close to 100 degrees that day - heat index was almost surely over 100.

If memory serves, there was also a 2006 Marshall game that had a weather delay due to rain.

Anybody know if there has ever been a game played at Neyland with visible, measurable snow on the ground that actually impacted the playing surface (not just flurries during the game or something like that)? Surely it has occurred at some point, but I don't know.

Yeah, My son and I were at the 2015 game vs Bowling Green. The first half took over 2 hours and there was a weather delay. My son was 12 yrs old at the time and we left after the 3rd quarter as it was so hot and humid.

My first Vol game ever was in 1992 vs in the monsoon vs Florida. I was a transfer student from Roanoke, VA and was hooked on UT football immediately upon entering Neyland that afternoon.
What a day!

VN Store

Back