WNBA Action -5/31

Mercedes is having a great year she is not averaging 15.2 points she is actually averaging about half of that at 7.4 points and she is rebounding the ball well at 6.3 rebounds. If she keeps this up or improves she could be the most improved player for the WNBA which would be awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: sisaq
Candace is back for tonight's game against the Mystics. Happy for her, but dang, why she gotta come back the day they play my home team?!

Edited out the weird phone additions

Last edited:
Candace is back for tonight's game against the Mystics. Happy for her, but dang, why she gotta come back the day they play my home team?!

Edited out the weird phone additions

Glad to hear she will be back out there. Hoping she can stay healthy. Their game is actually tomorrow, June 18th, though.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Random observation before I head back to work: the WNBA has a league-wide lack of skill at the point guard position, and it's causing problems for alot of teams, especially as injuries continue to rack up. I think this is something that needs more focus and development at the NCAA level from the elite teams in the next few years. Tons of bigs and post players now (and "positionlessness") but we're forgetting about the play makers.

Reactions: dapeak
Random observation before I head back to work: the WNBA has a league-wide lack of skill at the point guard position, and it's causing problems for alot of teams, especially as injuries continue to rack up. I think this is something that needs more focus and development at the NCAA level from the elite teams in the next few years. Tons of bigs and post players now (and "positionlessness") but we're forgetting about the play makers.

Sparks aren't lacking for a PG< Chelsea Grey is the best of the best, I love watching her play. She is physical, competitive and even mannered on the floor. Sims is coming along for Minnesota, I think she will be one of the top point guards in the league the next few seasons if she stays there. So many of the other top PGs are out with injury (Bird, Jefferson, Canada etc.) or playing overseas.

Liberty have got to figure out their guard play, they have two of the best big girls in the league in Charles and Zhaui-B. Kia Nurse is good on paper, but she doesn't have the in game goods IMO. She has no consistency on her shot. She'll hit 5/6 from three one game then go 0/8 the next. They would be better off going with Tanisha Wright at PG.

I kind of love it right now though, the league belongs to the big girls currently. If you can't match-up in the post teams like LA, Las Vegas Minnesota and Phoenix will dominate you.

I think the play this year has been terrible. Team shooting percentages have been awful almost across the board. I don't think a single team is at 45%. They are all tired, and it shows in their play.

They may be the best women's players in the world but I don't think new viewers will be impressed by the play this far. They need to pick it up.

Candace is back for tomorrow’s game against the Mystic!
Can’t wait!

Great job to all our Lady Vols Pros!!!!! Get better and get well Candice, hope to see you back when it's the right time for you and the Sparks. GO LADY VOLS FOR LIFE!!!!!!

I think the play this year has been terrible. Team shooting percentages have been awful almost across the board. I don't think a single team is at 45%. They are all tired, and it shows in their play.

They may be the best women's players in the world but I don't think new viewers will be impressed by the play this far. They need to pick it up.
Missing stars also contribute to that. I agree, a lot of teams look tired, particularly teams like Phoenix. No way should BG be struggling to score like she is...She looks slower and less aggressive. Atlanta also looks slow and tired.
Aces look like the best team in stretches.

In the 81-52 drubbing the Sparks took from the Mystics, Candace (in her first game back, I think) appeared to be far, Far, FAR from ready for primetime. I actually cringed many times while watching. I know she needs to get back into condition and that the best way to do that is by playing, but DANG... the Sparks are better right now with her on the bench. Sure wish there was another way for her to get back into shape and confidence, because she WILL get back to normal. But in that Mystics game she looked she might be feeling embarrassed. I hated that for her. :(

Missing stars also contribute to that. I agree, a lot of teams look tired, particularly teams like Phoenix. No way should BG be struggling to score like she is...She looks slower and less aggressive. Atlanta also looks slow and tired.
Aces look like the best team in stretches.

Generally speaking, I'm not impressed by the talent in the league. You have a few standouts, but too many players who can't shoot and can't make layups. The NBA has that problem too, but they have the athleticism to create one-on-one and can play above the rim. The WNBA players do not have that advantage, and it's showing in the shoddy quality of play thus far.

The fact that some of the best players are taking time off to go play for their overseas teams just lends credence to the fact that this is a 2nd tier sports league.

Generally speaking, I'm not impressed by the talent in the league. You have a few standouts, but too many players who can't shoot and can't make layups. The NBA has that problem too, but they have the athleticism to create one-on-one and can play above the rim. The WNBA players do not have that advantage, and it's showing in the shoddy quality of play thus far.

The fact that some of the best players are taking time off to go play for their overseas teams just lends credence to the fact that this is a 2nd tier sports league.

It is a second tier sports league but they don’t go overseas for more competition it’s the almighty dollar.

My Mystics are doing fairly well and I love watching them and am looking forward to following them throughout the rest of the season. 😃😃😃

It is a second tier sports league but they don’t go overseas for more competition it’s the almighty dollar.

My Mystics are doing fairly well and I love watching them and am looking forward to following them throughout the rest of the season. 😃😃😃
RE: Overseas play, I'm not talking about off-season. I mean the tournaments that are occurring in the middle of the WNBA season (Eurobasket?) that has players like Glory, Meeseman, etc... leaving their teams to go play.

I'm probably salty because of how bad the Sparks have been this year, which brings me to my second rant...the piss-poor quality of coaches. The reality is that the best coaches in the game are at the college level, and for the most part, the pro coaches are 2nd rate and either failed NBA players or couldn't hack it in the elite college ranks.

Whereas the NBA is a higher quality product than the college ranks, I feel like the reverse is true for the WNBA.

We have more rook
I'm probably salty because of how bad the Sparks have been this year, which brings me to my second rant...the piss-poor quality of coaches. The reality is that the best coaches in the game are at the college level, and for the most part, the pro coaches are 2nd rate and either failed NBA players or couldn't hack it in the elite college ranks.

Whereas the NBA is a higher quality product than the college ranks, I feel like the reverse is true for the WNBA.

We have more room on the Mystics fan team 😃

Reactions: LVsinceJV
The reality is that the best coaches in the game are at the college level, and for the most part, the pro coaches are 2nd rate and either failed NBA players or couldn't hack it in the elite college ranks.

I believe Mike Thibeault is a cut above the rest.

I believe Mike Thibeault is a cut above the rest.
There are a few that have proven themselves to be good, like Thibeault, Dan Hughes and Brian Agler. But some are just goddawful. Derek Fisher? He was an absolute failure as the HC of the Knicks a few years ago, and they're gonna bring him to the WNBA? Just shows how low the bar is to be a HC in the WNBA. I think Stephanie White won a WNBA championship before taking the Vandy job, and it's clear she's in over her head.

Pro ranks should be a step up for coaches, not a step down.

Before I do that, I may hitch onto the Chicago train. Unlike LA, at least they are fun to watch.

Meh we’ve hammered them 7-0 since the EDD trade (I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me as we play them tomorrow 😂)

Pro ranks should be a step up for coaches, not a step down.

Until the pay is better for WNBA coaches than it is for the top women's college coaches, that will never be the case. But you're right: It SHOULD BE a step up.

Reactions: Amb3096
Meh we’ve hammered them 7-0 since the EDD trade (I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me as we play them tomorrow 😂)

Chicago has looked good this year. I think that they can give Washington a fight, especially since Emma isn't playing.

Until the pay is better for WNBA coaches than it is for the top women's college coaches, that will never be the case. But you're right: It SHOULD BE a step up.
Another reason why I think that the WNBA will be forever trapped in a "chicken or the egg" losing proposition that will hinder their growth and ultimately, their self-sustainability

RE: Overseas play, I'm not talking about off-season. I mean the tournaments that are occurring in the middle of the WNBA season (Eurobasket?) that has players like Glory, Meeseman, etc... leaving their teams to go play.

The WNBA is still the best women’s basketball league in the world though, by a significant margin. You also have to consider the level of defense being played on most teams. They are extremely competitive every game because most players have to fight to keep their spot or get cut mid season. There is also parity in the WNBA with the exception of Seattle last season. It’s second tier because of pay and clout, but the competition and star power is there.

VN Store

Back