Lauren Cox Update

Like Cox, our new freshman, Jessie Rennie, has juvenile diabetes, The coaches will need to monitor her carefully, including in game situations. I really admire kids like these who have the strength, confidence, and determination not to let their disease keep them from realizing their dreams.
Amen!

Reactions: NewDog
Lauren will play against her sister Whitney on Oct 30th as defending DII Champion.Lubbock Christian will play an exibition game in Waco vs the defending DI Champion Lady Bears.

Whitney is playing in an All Star Game today at Oklahoma Baptist.

Lauren Cox's sister Whitney diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

"For nearly a decade, Whitney has made a name for herself on the basketball court. Between AAU leagues in the summer and her high school team during the school year, she has lost track of the hours spent on defensive drills, ball handling and perfecting her jump shot. So when Whitney was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in February 2018, it's not a surprise that one of her first thoughts was if it would affect her ability to play in her school's playoff game the next day.

"Whitney's older sister, Lauren, was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004, so we recognized her symptoms almost immediately," says her mom, Brenda. "We were able to read her blood sugar levels using monitors we had at home, saw they were high and brought her to the hospital right away."

Whitney was admitted to Children's Health on a Sunday morning, where she and her family met with Gtave Yannin, M.D., Pediatric Endocrinologist at Children's Health and Associate Professor at UT Southwestern, and a team of nurses, diabetes educators and nutritionists. Though she and her family were already familiar with managing diabetes, given Whitney's unique needs as a student-athlete, they soon realized how important it would be to quickly adapt her dietary and insulin needs depending on what her workout might be on any given day.

"I learned how to count my carbs and how to adjust my insulin ratios on game days versus rest days to make sure my levels stay where they need to be," says Whitney.

"I was impressed with Whitney's maturity and willingness to learn advanced diabetes management skills right away so that she could reach her athletic as well as health goals," says Dr. Tannin. "I am so glad we had new technologies to help her."

By Sunday evening, Whitney was discharged from the hospital. She returned to school the next day and was back on the basketball court by Monday evening.

Using a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) and insulin pump, Whitney's blood sugar is read every five minutes, making it easier to maintain her levels throughout the day, during her games and overnight. Her mom is quick to point out how advancements in technology over the years have changed the way diabetes is managed just in their family alone.

"CGMs weren't really available when our older daughter was first diagnosed," Brenda says. "Now, we can get alerts at night if Whitney's blood sugar is low and download information from her pump to share with the team at Children's Health."

Whitney continues to have appointments with Dr. Tannin every three months to monitor her blood sugar levels and make adjustments as needed. Looking back on her journey with diabetes, Whitney admits it was scary at first, but as she prepares to graduate from high school and continue her basketball career in college, she knows her number one fans her family and doctors will be cheering for her each step of the way."

- Children's Health, 14 June 2019

Lauren Cox's sister Whitney diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

"For nearly a decade, Whitney has made a name for herself on the basketball court. Between AAU leagues in the summer and her high school team during the school year, she has lost track of the hours spent on defensive drills, ball handling and perfecting her jump shot. So when Whitney was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in February 2018, it's not a surprise that one of her first thoughts was if it would affect her ability to play in her school's playoff game the next day.

"Whitney's older sister, Lauren, was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004, so we recognized her symptoms almost immediately," says her mom, Brenda. "We were able to read her blood sugar levels using monitors we had at home, saw they were high and brought her to the hospital right away."

Whitney was admitted to Children's Health on a Sunday morning, where she and her family met with Gtave Yannin, M.D., Pediatric Endocrinologist at Children's Health and Associate Professor at UT Southwestern, and a team of nurses, diabetes educators and nutritionists. Though she and her family were already familiar with managing diabetes, given Whitney's unique needs as a student-athlete, they soon realized how important it would be to quickly adapt her dietary and insulin needs depending on what her workout might be on any given day.

"I learned how to count my carbs and how to adjust my insulin ratios on game days versus rest days to make sure my levels stay where they need to be," says Whitney.

"I was impressed with Whitney's maturity and willingness to learn advanced diabetes management skills right away so that she could reach her athletic as well as health goals," says Dr. Tannin. "I am so glad we had new technologies to help her."

By Sunday evening, Whitney was discharged from the hospital. She returned to school the next day and was back on the basketball court by Monday evening.

Using a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) and insulin pump, Whitney's blood sugar is read every five minutes, making it easier to maintain her levels throughout the day, during her games and overnight. Her mom is quick to point out how advancements in technology over the years have changed the way diabetes is managed just in their family alone.

"CGMs weren't really available when our older daughter was first diagnosed," Brenda says. "Now, we can get alerts at night if Whitney's blood sugar is low and download information from her pump to share with the team at Children's Health."

Whitney continues to have appointments with Dr. Tannin every three months to monitor her blood sugar levels and make adjustments as needed. Looking back on her journey with diabetes, Whitney admits it was scary at first, but as she prepares to graduate from high school and continue her basketball career in college, she knows her number one fans her family and doctors will be cheering for her each step of the way."

- Children's Health, 14 June 2019

Sorry to hear this, Bear. Hope she does well and prayers for all concerned.🍊🐻🧡

@22 hours without a LC update..... the horror!

Down, gule, down. This admittedly should be in the Around the NCAA forum. The thread on the uconn Big East should most definitely be in the NCAA forum, and there is already a thread there relating to that; the threads should be merged and put in the correct forum, but again, there are more responses in the LV forum than the NCAA. Because, you know, it’s not relevant to football, so...

Lauren got hurt in the championship game, national TV, so a lot of people saw it and were/are interested in her. Plus @BUBear is a respected and polite poster; imo he’s welcome to get into the grey area (a little bit!) in reporting a special occurrence like this. I think most of us were very concerned for her, wished her well, and are happy she’s making a good recovery.

So go tweak the trolls on here if you are bored; you are very good at that. In fact, I support a new thread ‘The gule Takes On Trolls’, Lord knows we have enough of them on here for you to have all kinds of fun!👍🧡 (and go ahead and put it in the LV forum; we all need laughs!)

nah, I was just pulling BUBear's chain..... nothing personal....;)
I figured; just you😈 doing you😈. Still enjoy it more though when you play tweak a troll.

How is MIL doing? I still have her get well sign from a couple of years ago. Tell her I said hi and best wishes.

BU, we are preempting your thread. Don’t fuss at us.

Now, as to MY hat, I have witnesses you know.......

Reactions: BUBear
MIL (just had her 90th bd) is progressing slowly from surgery from her fall and broken arm. She has limited function in the hand and we have to be very careful with helping her get up to not put any strain on the arm. this has been a real PITA(arm) summer so far. Her worst thing is forgetting and trying to open her frig with her right hand. big no no!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Madison (Maddie) Cox 2023:

Dcheetah

9:53p, 7/3/19

Just participated in the Bluestar 30 for the top young wbb players in the country along with Sammie Wagner. . Maddie was campwide runner up in the 3pt shooting contest and seemed to be a very good rebounder.

Sammie made it to the semis in the 3v3 tournament but had an uncharacteristically off shooting performance to the team that was the finals winner. Both young ladies sound like they acquitted themselves very well.

‎The Her Hoop Stats Podcast: WNBA & Women’s College Basketball: #23 - Baylor’s Lauren Cox and WNBA ROY Debate on Apple Podcasts

Preview

#23 - Baylor’s Lauren Cox and WNBA ROY Debate
The Her Hoop Stats Podcast: WNBA & Women’s College Basketball
Basketball
Baylor’s Lauren Cox enters her senior season with a championship, and a boatload of personal accomplishments. Lauren tells you what there left to do in Waco.

Plus, John digs into the archives to hear from the head coaches of the two leading Rookie of the Year candidates in the WNBA.

‎The Her Hoop Stats Podcast: WNBA & Women’s College Basketball: #23 - Baylor’s Lauren Cox and WNBA ROY Debate on Apple Podcasts

Preview

#23 - Baylor’s Lauren Cox and WNBA ROY Debate
The Her Hoop Stats Podcast: WNBA & Women’s College Basketball
Basketball
Baylor’s Lauren Cox enters her senior season with a championship, and a boatload of personal accomplishments. Lauren tells you what there left to do in Waco.

Plus, John digs into the archives to hear from the head coaches of the two leading Rookie of the Year candidates in the WNBA.
giphy.gif

Kaylee Cox, Lauren's sister, committed to play volleyball at Missouri. As a sophomore she was All American (MaxPrep), All-State, All-Area (DFW), led team to 6A state championship where she was named MVP. With the #1 volleyball team in the country.

Reactions: T_Vol376

VN Store

Back