Brad Powers Early 2019 Ratings

Woo-hoo! We're 26th, we're 26th!!!!!

giphy.gif

Two years ago, would you have even thought we would be 26th this year? Having us ranked at 26th is massively impressive imo.

Here's my 2019 Preseason Top 25+1

1)Alabama 12-0
2)Clemson 11-1
3)Ohio State 12-0
4)Oklahoma 11-1
5)Georgia 10-2
6)Texas 11-1
7)Notre Dame 11-1
8)Texas A&M 10-2
9)Michigan 10-2
10)Florida 10-2
11)LSU 9-3
12)Oregon 10-2
13)Penn State 9-3
14)Virginia 10-2
15)Washington 9-3
16)UCF 11-1
17)Stanford 9-3
18)Miami 9-3
19)Tennessee 9-3
20)Northwestern 9-3
21)Syracuse 9-3
22)Iowa 9-3
23)Washington State 8-4
24)Utah 8-4
25)USC 8-4
26)Iowa State 8-4
You must have a lot of faith in Justin Fields. I really don't think OSU can go far without stellar QB play and I'm not sure Fields can produce that yet. He looked mediocre against decent competition at UGA and his spring game at OSU wasn't exactly impressive. Not sure how tough OSU's schedule is, but Michigan and PSU won't be pushovers.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Brad Power's preseason rating for the Vols is close to BC's and W. Virginia's 2018 preseason ratings. BC won 7 games and WVa won 8 games in 2018. How reliable are his ratings?
For discussion, his 2019 preseason ratings suggest the following point spreads versus other SEC teams (with some rounding and I am not sure how he would factor in home-field advantage):
UF, 7.5 point favorite
UGA, 14 point favorite
MSU, 4 point favorite
Alabama, 20 point favorite
USCe, 1 point favorite
UK, 4 point underdog
Mizzou, 2 point favorite
Vandy, 8 point underdog

I used his 2018 preseason ratings to compute suggested point spreads for last year's games:
WVa, 9 point favorite
Florida, 10.5 point favorite
UGA, 22.5 point favorite
AUB, 19.5 point favorite
Ala., 26 point favorite
USCe, 10 point favorite
UK, 0.5 to 1 point favorite
Mizzou, 9.5 point favorite
Vandy, 3 point underdog

Perennial "Champions of the Offseason"

Don't get me wrong, we seem to be heading in the right direction (at least from an overall coaching standpoint) and if we overachieve and hit 8+ wins this season I'll be ecstatic, but c'mon...these summertime rankings are just clickbait from sports sites trying to generate the traffic to pay their elevated a/c bills.

Two years ago, would you have even thought we would be 26th this year? Having us ranked at 26th is massively impressive imo.

Being ranked 26th should never be considered impressive. The 2017 record wasn't indicative of the talent on the team. They quit the last few games. Had they won at UF, who knows? USC came down to the last play.. Win those 2 and what is UTs record going into Nov?

I'm not one of those Can't Stand Butch After-the-fact fans, I couldn't stand him from day 1 but I always want UT to win so I hoped he succeeded while he was here.

UF was 4-7 in 2017. Recruiting rankings were pretty similar to UT. They made strides last season. Why does it always take longer at UT?

That's what I was thinking. No one can predict the future, but I was just surprised he had us ranked so high.

I hope it's true. I'm really hoping for an 8 win season, but feel we will probably win 7.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Being ranked 26th should never be considered impressive. The 2017 record wasn't indicative of the talent on the team. They quit the last few games. Had they won at UF, who knows? USC came down to the last play.. Win those 2 and what is UTs record going into Nov?

I'm not one of those Can't Stand Butch After-the-fact fans, I couldn't stand him from day 1 but I always want UT to win so I hoped he succeeded while he was here.

UF was 4-7 in 2017. Recruiting rankings were pretty similar to UT. They made strides last season. Why does it always take longer at UT?

Because UF hasn’t gone through anything close to what we have. What were they in 2015 & 2016? Sorry but using UF to compare to us won’t work. It takes us so much longer because we have had idiotic leadership making their decisions ever since 2008.

You can claim their recruiting rankings were similar to ours but they really weren’t. UF selected much better players.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Because UF hasn’t gone through anything close to what we have. What were they in 2015 & 2016? Sorry but using UF to compare to us won’t work. It takes us so much longer because we have had idiotic leadership making their decisions ever since 2008.

You can claim their recruiting rankings were similar to ours but they really weren’t. UF selected much better players.

UF wasn't very good in 2015 and 2016. UT was every bit their equal, talent wise. Just because they won the SEC East those 2 seasons didn't make them a good team. Someone had to win the division. The SEC East from 2013-16 was absolute garbage.

You won't find 5 UF fans that hold the '15-'16 teams in high regard in respect to the "good/great" teams UF has fielded. UF was so unimpressed they couldn't wait to get rid of McElwain. They knew he wasn't the answer to get UF back to the top of the conference.

Brad Powers' Early 2019 Power Ratings for all 130 CFB Teams - CFB - Forums - Pregame.com

Just posted his early ratings. He has Tennessee at 26 which is optimistic and I hope it's true.

Anyways, he also has Tennessee as the most improved team from last year, but still a 20 point underdogs to Alabama.

You can check out last year's ratings here for comparison:

Final 2018 College Football Power Ratings (No. 1 through No. 130) - CFB - Forums - Pregame.com

I know it's the off-season and every post will be beating a dead horse... Including this one. :)
Literally means absolutely nothing to be ranked 26th in a preseason poll. Could’ve easily been 36th or 46th and nobody should’ve batted an eye. Tennessee needs to play well and earn something, earn a decent post season ranking before being “ranked” means anything.

With all due respect BOT, one can claim, subjectively, that UF selected much better players.....but that fact is, their recruiting rankings, which is what Boca referenced, were virtually identical to ours during that period, with ours actually being a little better. From 2014-17, Tennessee’s average class ranking was 10.5, Florida’s 13.3.

With all due respect BOT, one can claim, subjectively, that UF selected much better players.....but that fact is, their recruiting rankings, which is what Boca referenced, were virtually identical to ours during that period, with ours actually being a little better. From 2014-17, Tennessee’s average class ranking was 10.5, Florida’s 13.3.

Not to mention UT drug them up and down the field in '14, '15, and '16 (after UT decided to show up). UT's problem in '14 was letting them hang around and they caught UT in a mistake. Same as '15. Still UT was able to get it in FG range for a chance to win.

Forward to '17, similar game as '15 where UF let UT hang around. How one can say UF had superior talent is beyond me. I'd say the teams were very evenly matched with maybe a nod to UT in those 4 games.

Reactions: dduncan4163
If our O-Line improves and we stay healthy on the D-Line we can have a really good year imo. Our DB and WR core is loaded with talent and experience and imo JG will have a great season under Chaney.

The key to 2019 is the O-Line plain and simple. It kept us from bowling last year and it will be the difference between a 9-3 or 5-7 season.

The only thing that kept us from bowling last year was a team that quit.

I agree with you.

I think a lot of posters on here two years ago seemed to want us to fail and fail miserably so that Jones would be let go.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back