'20 FL CB Lovie Jenkins (Louisville transfer)

He is one of the fastest, and that is who we play. I asked myself and did not have an answer, so I asked you'uns. How fast does a corner need to run a 100m in order to be a winning CB in the SEC? As for being unfair, what kind of speed does a corner need to compete? Is it fair to the player who is a full second slower than the WR he is expected to beat? Again, I am asking, not about myself. The issue is not me. It's the speed needed to win in the SEC, if anybody has an opinion.

Good thing they have safeties.

I think 247 is the best out there, rankings wise... but this is corny:

Kid commits at 7pm last night and was ranked (.8577), 807 nationally, 61st ranked cornerback, and 107th best player in the state of Florida.

Like two hours later he's (.8656), 678 nationally, 53rd ranked cornerback, and 93rd best player in Florida.

Guess that Pruitt bump is real.

That's how we roll, we're the best amongst the average schools.

I think everyone wants to win the recruiting rankings, especially most fans. But here’s the thing, in this particular case, Jenkins has a higher rating that both Deandre Baker and Johnathan Abram, both considered average at best by the recruiting experts from Disney, CBS, and Verizon. A few weeks ago in Nashville, after concluding stellar college careers, both names were called in the first round for the 2019 NFL draft. One of the best safeties in the league this year is J.R. Reid at Georgia. He was all-SEC in their 2017 run to the college football championship game. His composite rating out of high school was 0.7979, with a national ranking of #1856 while being ranked as the #157 best CB.

If we let Disney, CBS, and Verizon have the final say in telling us who we should recruit, guys like those mentioned above will never get a shot. By most accounts both Baker and Abram were first discovered by our coaching staff, namely Pruitt. If that doesn’t carry any weight with you then I’ve got to figure you’re just being ornery. Even if Pruitt and Ansley only hit on 1 out of 4 of these types of guys we’re likely to end up with one of the best secondaries in all of college football. I’d hardly call that average. jmo.

pRKdWiK.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I believe chatt was posting quotes from a Notre dame message board. I don't think that was his take.

That's worse. Who cares what those ND a-holes are saying? I did only because I thought they were Tennessee. I'm sorry I said anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: memtownvol
ChattaTNVol "My biggest concern isn’t his rating, but that he’s from a Florida public high school. That state does a very poor job educating its youth"

Dude, Florida high schools are ranked number six in the country. Tennessee? That would be thirty-nine.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare

That wasn't me saying that. I just pulled the chatter on the guy from the Notre Dame message board. Evidently they're pretty academically snobbish up there in South Bend. Anyway, I thought their thread was pretty funny, especially their reaction there at the end when Pruitt sneaks in and snatches the guy away from them.

You'd think he would have an offer from UF if that were the case 🤷🏻‍♂️

gotta trust Pruitt with DBs though
Not gonna lie, taking for sure blue chips almost always feels better but we just aren't in the position to do that, we just aren't. So if we have to take several lower ranked kids, I do feel better about who's judging them than I've felt in a long time.

He is one of the fastest, and that is who we play. I asked myself and did not have an answer, so I asked you'uns. How fast does a corner need to run a 100m in order to be a winning CB in the SEC? As for being unfair, what kind of speed does a corner need to compete? Is it fair to the player who is a full second slower than the WR he is expected to beat? Again, I am asking, not about myself. The issue is not me. It's the speed needed to win in the SEC, if anybody has an opinion.
Straight line 100m speed not nearly important as being quick, fluid in the hips, ability to play great technique and be smart/show great instincts. Rather have a guy who has all those things and runs 4.6 than a guy who doesn’t and runs 4.3/4.4.

Straight line 100m speed not nearly important as being quick, fluid in the hips, ability to play great technique and be smart/show great instincts. Rather have a guy who has all those things and runs 4.6 than a guy who doesn’t and runs 4.3/4.4.

It's interesting that you mention that because a few days ago I was reading an article by Richard Sherman (4.59 40-time at his pro day) and he said pretty much the same thing.

I often get asked the same questions by fans and media. Here are three that you might guess would come up pretty regularly:
  1. What’s the most difficult part of your job?
  2. Who’s the best corner in the game, besides yourself?
  3. Who’s the toughest wide receiver to cover?
I understand why I get asked these questions, but I never have good answers for them because they’re too complicated to explain in sound bites. There are a lot of aspects of my job that are difficult. And there should be — otherwise, anybody could do it. But while you can compare players, you also have to respect the unique abilities and the individual traits that separate them. Those are the things that make them great.

You wouldn’t put LeBron James in a three-point contest against Steph Curry and say that Steph is the better player if he wins, just like you wouldn’t say that Allen Iverson was better than Shaq because AI had a crossover and Shaq didn’t. It’s a more nuanced discussion — even when you’re comparing football players, and especially when you’re comparing guys who play the same position, like cornerbacks.

So if you’ve ever asked me, or wanted to ask me, about the most difficult part of playing corner, or about the best corners and toughest receivers in the game, read up. The answers — at least from my perspective — are mostly here.

What You Don't Know About: Playing Cornerback | By Richard Sherman

Seemed more like you were trashing Chatt for posting it.

Thought he should have I.D.'d it up front, but the "who really cares" is just an expression, not strictly legit, not meant to trash Chatt. But if that is how it looks and his feelings is hurt, then I expologize for that.

Last edited:
That wasn't me saying that. I just pulled the chatter on the guy from the Notre Dame message board. Evidently they're pretty academically snobbish up there in South Bend. Anyway, I thought their thread was pretty funny, especially their reaction there at the end when Pruitt sneaks in and snatches the guy away from them.

Sleeg already gave me the business but I'll say it to you, that I was not trying to get bad with you about your post, just yammering along with a poke at ND and some real curiosity about the skill sets of SEC level DBs. Some of the replies respond to that very well. Your post was not a bad post. It was a good post, just a little confusing, and I think I'll move on now, with everyone's permission -- or not. If I in any way, including ways unbeknownst, besmirched the great name of ChattTNVol, I already expologized for that.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back