New Traditions that we would like to see at Tennessee

Why first downs? For us or them? If we make a first down you need to sit down and shut up and let the boys play.

Because we need to build on the momentum and let the team know we are with them...

PA: 1st and 10...

Crowd: UT (with a hand clap after)

We went to Michigan St vs Wisconsin a couple years back and they say:

PA: Well...

Crowd: 1st down bit.. (fired everyone up)

But I don’t want vulgar but it was so loud it was intimidating.

Reactions: GBOVFL88
The Walking Horse should definitely NOT be returned, and PETA had zero to do with Walking Horses not being at Neyland.
The horses are great but the forced-trained exaggerated gait is unnatural and looks ridiculous. The riders' standard apparel -- silly hats and knee-length jackets -- is what passes for chic among the New Jersey mafioso set.
Very glad we don't encourage that crap any more.

Last edited:
The Walking Horse should definitely NOT be returned, and PETA had zero to do with Walking Horses not being at Neyland.
The horses are great but the forced-trained exaggerated gait is unnatural and looks ridiculous. The riders' standard apparel -- silly hats and knee-length jackets -- is what passes for chic among the New Jersey mafioso set.
Very glad we don't encourage that crap any more.
I love walking horses and enjoy watching them

I agree, the Tennessee Walking Horse is a beautiful sight to behold and brings back great memories of days of Football Past!
The Pride of Tennessee!

I’ve attended (in the past) a couple of Walking Horse Celebrations in Shelbyville Tn and have fond memories of the show and the pretty girls of Tennessee:)

Reactions: Remy and 82_VOL_83
Lot of snarky responses on here. I never understood why people act like that, if you don't like the thread then don't click into it. Simple.

Unfortunately, that's part of this board's culture. As soon as I read the OP, I KNEW that there would be a string of silly "Just Win" replies and much snark. Never seen a place where Vols needlessly troll fellow Vols like this board. Didn't used to be that way. If you find a less puerile board, let me know.

Unfortunately, that's part of this board's culture. As soon as I read the OP, I KNEW that there would be a string of silly "Just Win" replies and much snark. Never seen a place where Vols needlessly troll fellow Vols like this board. Didn't used to be that way. If you find a less puerile board, let me know.
I've been a member for 7 years and it used to be worse.

I'd like to see some kind of rivalry (complete with a Mountain Matchup trophy, or something to that effect) brew with Mizzou, though not quite as much as I'd enjoy seeing Mizzou leave the SEC and join the Big Ten.

If there’s a school that’d be happy to make nicknames game or a trophy game, it’s probably them.

See:

The Indian War Drum and Lamar Hunt Trophy(Kansas - “The Border War”)

1560481284265.jpeg

1560481798683.jpeg

The Victory Bell (Nebraska)

1560480618859.jpeg

1560480786176.jpeg

The Tiger-Sooner Peace Pipe* (Oklahoma)

*(Oklahoma lost the peace pipe trophy - which was actually a tomahawk that had belonged to Chief White Eagle of the Pawnee tribe - sometime in the late 70s or 80s)

The Telephone Trophy (Iowa State)

1560480455595.jpeg

The Mayor’s Cup (South Carolina - might be “Battle of the Columbias”)

1560480381316.jpeg

The Battle Line Trophy (Arkansas, The Battle Line Rivalry)

1560482014531.jpeg

1560482049115.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
How about, whenever we get a 1st down one half of the stadium yells "ROCKY" then the other half of the stadium responds with "TOP". I can picture it now.

You forgot the Clap, Clap, Clap!

"Butch Jones coached the fans on the new first down chant, ROCKY – TOP (in a call an answer style), clap, clap, clap. I’m not sure how well it will go over but the fans picked up on it pretty quickly. "

Reactions: oUTlaw
I’m not so sure about tradition, but the whole stadium yelling muff at opposing team’s kick returners right as they are about to field a kick seems like it could be fun. Certainly if they muff the kick and we get the ball back.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
It's nothing about tradition but I'd like to see the padding on the wall in the end zone changed to orange instead of that maroon color it is. Jmo, it drives my OCD nuts!!! spg_1504046184.jpg

I’m not so sure about tradition, but the whole stadium yelling muff at opposing team’s kick returners right as they are about to field a kick seems like it could be fun. Certainly if they muff the kick and we get the ball back.

If she didn't say it she was thinking it.

I've been advocating for 2 years the turnover robe ala Ric Flair. It would be orange and white and if player forces a turnover, he would put it on and strut up and down the sideline yelling Wooooo.....

The robe would be for the ball hawkin, route jumpin, fumble causing, ball stealing son of a guns...
But Flair is a Georgia fan. Maybe Hacksaw Jim?

VN Store

Back