5star recruiting

So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.
I bet you also think a Shetland pony can not outrun a race horse. Damn, some people are so smart. I bet a Polor bear can also defeat a Panda bear in a fight.

Reactions: feathersax
So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.
I don't know....we had a team of 5* "Heart" players and look where that go usšŸ˜­

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
I agree with the OP. Pruitt has said part of his recruiting strategy is systematically avoiding 5 star players and I don't agree with it.
tenor.gif

chrismc1000 (AKA: Captain Obvious said:

Notorious B.E.N. (AKA: Pancho) replied:
Maybe you should email Pruitt and let him know, that's probably news to him.

Cisco Kid: AAAAHHHHH, Pancho! --- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Pancho: AAAAAHHHHH, Cisco! --- HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

You mean we need more 5 stars? who'd a thunk it?

Iā€™d rather have 3 and 4 star players with heart and grit. I think CJP is on the right track. The difference between a 4 and 5 Star could literally be the coaching they received in high school. Maybe we have just as good of players but theyā€™ll get the difference making coaching in college instead.

Reactions: savannahfan
For a team that has won 9 games in two years it's pretty astounding Pruitt has got 2 5 starsso far. The staff is still in its infancy at UT. I think the 5 stars will come in but I wouldn't expect more than one a year until he can prove he's a solid 10 win a season coach...which he might be. Can never tell the future. Just expecting 5 stars and getting disappointed it isn't happening is just out there at this point.
"solid 10 wins a year" -----Not many of them around. except Ala. and Clem (right now) not many around now or for that matter ever.

Iā€™d rather have 3 and 4 star players with heart and grit. I think CJP is on the right track. The difference between a 4 and 5 Star could literally be the coaching they received in high school. Maybe we have just as good of players but theyā€™ll get the difference making coaching in college instead.
Also, some really good prospects never go to a camp or visit around where they get "noticed" by the star raters. ( like state playoffs). These guys need help from their high school coaches and folks who "know someone" on a college staff.

Just some numbers to work with OP.
Last year, only 34 five stars between 17 teams.

Alabama appeared in the last 4 Championship games and landed 3 five stars.
Tn is 1-3 against Vandy and landed 2.
You can only ask so much.

Right...
About stars.....
Some shine really bright because they are really close to the "light".
Other stars are just too far from the "light" to be seen.

Although this thread holds weight I feel the need to point out that recruiting services don't work the way most think it does. There are 5 star talents all over the country playing for schools that are not national powerhouses. For that alone said 5 star talent is now a 4* because his TEAM isn't popular with the services or isn't that good as a whole. The same can be said the other way around as well. A 4* that does play for a nationally recognized hs gets his 5th star because his team around him makes him look better.

Above is the reason that most 5* players go to college programs that are already winning. It's more safe to them to go that route than a program that is rebuilding out od fear of becoming a hs bust. Makes you wonder how much they believe in themselves as individuals doesn't it?

The difference I've noticed is the 3 star spent his hs career getting hit in the mouth. He knows how to react. The 5 star didn't so he doesn't. If you want to know what it looks like when a star studded team gets hit hit in the mouth and doesn't know what to do, look no farther than the NC game last yr. Alabama quit.

I feel like we need more 3* hidden gems rather than overrated.

Although this thread holds weight I feel the need to point out that recruiting services don't work the way most think it does. There are 5 star talents all over the country playing for schools that are not national powerhouses. For that alone said 5 star talent is now a 4* because his TEAM isn't popular with the services or isn't that good as a whole. The same can be said the other way around as well. A 4* that does play for a nationally recognized hs gets his 5th star because his team around him makes him look better.

Above is the reason that most 5* players go to college programs that are already winning. It's more safe to them to go that route than a program that is rebuilding out od fear of becoming a hs bust. Makes you wonder how much they believe in themselves as individuals doesn't it?

The difference I've noticed is the 3 star spent his hs career getting hit in the mouth. He knows how to react. The 5 star didn't so he doesn't. If you want to know what it looks like when a star studded team gets hit hit in the mouth and doesn't know what to do, look no farther than the NC game last yr. Alabama quit.

I feel like we need more 3* hidden gems rather than overrated.

There is much merit to this post IMO. Lots of kids are 5 stars because of their team or school and not individual talent or performance. If you're a 3 or 4 star kid but play for DeLaSalle, Mater Dei, The Oaks, or Bishop Gorman on the west coast, it's not hard to see how they automatically get elevated to 4 or 5 star status because of the school. The same thing happens on the East coast, if you're out of IMG Academy but really a 2 or 3 star player, getting bumped up to 4 or 5 star can take place. If you're a 2 or 3 star kid out of Unicoi County and work your summers rather than going to camps, a 2 or 3 star player you'll be if that until you graduate.

UT must worry about beating South Carolina, UK, Vandy and Missouri before Clemson Bama and Georgia.

UT must worry about beating South Carolina, UK, Vandy and Missouri before Clemson Bama and Georgia.

Pretty much this.

I'll worry about Pruitt landing 5*s once he's shown that he and his staff can develop 3* and 4* recruits. Remember those star ratings are just potential coming out of high school, without effective college level development, even 5* players won't see their full potential.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly

VN Store

Back