LVFL Holly Warlick honored at Legacy event

I will sincerely apologize to you, my passion gets the best of me at times. That being said I just don't feel that someone who takes zero responsibility in what she did to this program should be celebrated. Once again I will apologize as we're all Vol fans and want what's best for all of our teams

No problems at all....we are all vol/Lady Vol fans but what you are wanting from her is something she is incapable of and why she struggled so poorly as a head coach.... she was awful in interviews and seemed to be a poor communicator..... To be a great coach, you have to be a good communicator..... not so much in interviews bc most coaches cannot stand the media part of being a basketball coach..... she does, however, have to make her team understand what she expects them to do at all times. This is where I feel holly failed the most..... she had an idea of how she wanted her to run but was unable to get the team working together to accomplish those goals.Kellie seems like a much better communicator so hopefully it will lead to a team that all of the Lady Vol family can be proud of.

I will sincerely apologize to you, my passion gets the best of me at times. That being said I just don't feel that someone who takes zero responsibility in what she did to this program should be celebrated. Once again I will apologize as we're all Vol fans and want what's best for all of our teams

I feel you both...but the thing I can't get past is what 76 said...zero responsibility.
In her pressers it was always you, them, her, we, she,,,never I or me

I know, as a coach, my players can fail...I know, as a person, so do I

The vitriol is just not becoming. Some posters are acting as though Holly intentionally sought to damage the LVs program.

Her mistake was staying on too long.

But her first three years as HC did not ruin careers nor destroy the LV program.

Just to review

2012-13 (Holly's first official season as HC): 27-8; SEC regular season champ and an elite 8 finish.

2013-14; 29-6; Sec tournament champ and the sweet 16

2015-15; 30-6; SEC regular season co-champ and the elite 8

Those are respectable outcomes and on par with the accomplishments of the LVs prior class (Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen under CPS who were the first to not make a final four).

Things started to visibly slide after those first three seasons, though the LVs still made an unexpected run to the elite 8 in the 2015-16 season.

Holly stayed too long because she was deeply committed to the program and I have no doubt believed she could turn things around.

No doubt she was mistaken but devoting 38 years of one's to an institution is an admirable outcome, particularly in a day and age where loyalty is anachronism.

People don't have to respect her dedication (or her accomplishments as a player, assistant coach and even as head coach taking over a program under very difficult circumstances -- CPS did not just retire; she was deteriorating before everyone's very eyes..

But, perhaps people can have enough decency to not take potshots or insults at HW on the occassion of a tribute, where many former LVs returned to pay their respects.

her first three years were with Pat's players

Reactions: T.J. and MAD
What are you talking about? I wanted her let go as much as anyone.... I can still respect what she means to the UT family though..... you obviously don’t know me bc im as intense as anyone when it comes to sports.... There is just a time and place for it.... I’m usually use to being the over the top basketball dad.... not use to being called sawft..... I’m the dad that made his daughter do push ups in the gym right after a 4th grade rec league game bc she missed a lay up.... just bc Holly failed miserably as our coach does not change the fact that she was our first Olympian, has her jersey hanging in the rafters and had a part in all our championships....that’s not counting what she meant to all past Lady Vols off the court.

Actually, Pat Summitt, Cindy Brogdon, and Patricia Roberts all played on the first Olympic women's team in 1976. Holly was named to the 1980 team that did not play due to the boycott of the Olympics in Moscow.

Reactions: gule
Actually, Pat Summitt, Cindy Brogdon, and Patricia Roberts all played on the first Olympic women's team in 1976. Holly was named to the 1980 team that did not play due to the boycott of the Olympics in Moscow.

Thanks for the info.....love Lady Vol history

The only thing she should ever receive is a banishment from ever stepping foot in the state of Tennessee again. She single handedly took the premier women's program and ran it deeper into the ground than Dooley and Jones did to the football program. I for one will never celebrate anything related to that sorry ass "coach", she's garbage and should be treated as such. And before any of you Warlick apologists start with how much more of a Vol she is than me blah, blah, blah you can save your breath.
C717EBF5-954E-4F46-AE95-A6CD3C547974.gif

I wont deny that Holley took over a tough job and did all she could to keep the program going. It became obvious in a few years she didn't have the right stuff. No doubt she is a true LV but my complaint is she didn't admit her shortcomings and she damaged the program so badly. She didn't have enough courage to step down. I would have thought more of her than forcing the firing of her. The dishonor is hers and too bad after years of dedication

no shiggity?
wow

Yes, that was the year Carter decided to teach USSR a lesson....and caused a whole lot of US athletes to lose 4 years work and the chance of a lifetime. And Russia really paid for it...they won a whole bunch of extra gold and silver. Not saying Carter was not a good man, but, imo, in a lot of ways, he was a cross between dumb and unrealistic. I voted for him and was ecstatic to see Reagan win 4 years later. Sheesh! How things change!

Reactions: Orange Maniac
her first three years were with Pat's players

Are you looking for the captain obvious award?.

You statement has been discussed ad nauseam on this board. We HAVE CONSTANTLY discussed that the LV's steady decline really kicked in after the last of Pat's players were gone.

Nonetheless, Holly did not tank with those legacy players (which could have happened) and none of this alters the point that many, including a number of former LVs, believe her 38 years of services and achievements deserve some recognition.

Last edited:
Yes, that was the year Carter decided to teach USSR a lesson....and caused a whole lot of US athletes to lose 4 years work and the chance of a lifetime.

I loved the Carters then, and love them even more now, but that was a heartbreakingly huge mistake. His heart was in the right place thinking that the entire world would see just how serious the situation was if he'd go to that extreme to ostracize the USSR. Yes, it obviously diminished the overall feeling of the games (and their financial bottom line) dramatically, but outside of that, it ended up being a classic "cut your nose off to spite your face" mistake. So many U.S. athletes' Olympic dreams crushed. My heart broke for them. Ugh. :(

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Holly ruined a lot of players college careers. Warlicks apologists, followers, sycophants called them what you like laid blame for the many losses, development & lack of playing time on players like Diamond Deshields, Mercedes Russell, Nia Moore, Kortney Dunbar et al.
And to make matters worse Holly refused to leave voluntarily creating a divide amongst the Lady Vol nation.

Get the record straight and do not ever forget that Holly Warlick nearly single handedly destroyed the Lady Vol program. And that's not hyperbole. Check y'all's memory banks.

And last but not least. Holly fans have the nerve to throw her a celebration at the Holiday Inn in dwtwn Knoxville. Smh
Holly never publicly said thanks nor goodbye to the Tennessee fan base.

Furh Holly!
💯

Bravo. Thanks for saying what Needed to be said. Mind boggling at the number of LV Fans that just Don't "Get It". Something's Missing In Them Heads. I hope to never hear that name again in Reverence.

I loved the Carters then, and love them even more now, but that was a heartbreakingly huge mistake. His heart was in the right place thinking that the entire world would see just how serious the situation was if he'd go to that extreme to ostracize the USSR. Yes, it obviously diminished the overall feeling of the games (and their financial bottom line) dramatically, but outside of that, it ended up being a classic "cut your nose off to spite your face" mistake. So many U.S. athletes' Olympic dreams crushed. My heart broke for them. Ugh. :(

I was 20.
Two Olympiads later the Dream Teams would start and college players would be all but eliminated

Reactions: MAD
holly showed her true colors when she wouldn't even address the team after she was let go. I think there was a lot of off the court
issues with team chemistry and her own relationship with the players. I hope that moving forward with KJH we can get past all of that
and get back to playing lady vols basketball. I wish holly nothing but the best, but for the sake of this program I am ecstatic that
she is finally gone.

Are you looking for the captain obvious award?.

You statement has been discussed ad nauseam on this board. We HAVE CONSTANTLY discussed that the LV's steady decline really kicked in after the last of Pat's players were gone.

Nonetheless, Holly did not tank with those players (which could have happened) and none of this alters the point that many, including a number of former LVs, believe her 38 years of services and achievements deserve some recognition.

Thank you. CJ and the rest of them who apparently would love for Holly to be erased from LV history need to get over it - ain’t gonna happen, nor should it. She has a unique and long history with Tennessee and the LV program.

Kellie Harper has expressed her desire for Holly to feel comfortable visiting the program and has set the stage for that to happen. They are family. She flat out said she “played for Holly” and that “she loves Holly.” Everything Pat built, Holly was right there with her shoulder to shoulder.

If you were not a part of it, you simply can’t understand. Some of you think she should have admitted her failure in your eyes and stepped down. That’s your opinion and not everyone feels that way. Holly is family and you don’t throw family away.

To the poster who said everyone who didn’t feel the same (paraphrasing) could “kiss his ass” (direct quote) well... you know what you can go do. 😊

Last edited:
I guess I just don’t see a benefit in continuing to beat her when she’s down. Trust me, I was among those who was skeptical from Day 1 of someone with Holly’s personality type (and obvious comfort with just being an assistant) becoming a first-time head coach of the most storied program in the sport. I was sad to have been right. And, yes, even angry for a good while that she wasn’t stepping down when it was painfully obvious that it was well past time to do so.

But Jeez, now that a fresh start has begun, why can’t we just admit that mistakes were made but that noone ever made them any of them intentionally trying to hurt anyone? If careers were ruined, it’s between those players and their coaches to decide what to do about it.

It’s for the good of the program for fans to stop harping on the events of the recent past.
I agree we need to stop the hostility towards Holly. She is now a dead issue. She is hurt enough because I believe that if Holly honesty sat down and said how she felt about not being able to restore the program back to days past, is that she feels bad because she disappointed Pat and the Lady Vol Program. Saying more bad things about Holly does absolutely nothing. We need focus on the program we have under KJH.

The only thing she should ever receive is a banishment from ever stepping foot in the state of Tennessee again. She single handedly took the premier women's program and ran it deeper into the ground than Dooley and Jones did to the football program. I for one will never celebrate anything related to that sorry ass "coach", she's garbage and should be treated as such. And before any of you Warlick apologists start with how much more of a Vol she is than me blah, blah, blah you can save your breath.

I agree 100%, I'm not an apologist for HW incompetence as a coach, she did nothing for Lady Vols that I want to celebrate she was here too long I celebrated
when she was replaced...............GO VOLS and CKH!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: T.J.
no shiggity?
wow

No shiggity. Seeing the '76 games in Montreal was my first exposure to Pat Head (Summitt). Lusia Harris was the best player on the team, HS player Nancy Lieberman and Anne Meyers were the media favorites, but Pat brought intensity and grit to the team. Brogdon and Roberts began their college careers elsewhere but transferred to Pat's Tennessee team after the Olympics.

VN Store

Back