LVFL Holly Warlick honored at Legacy event

lvocd

Holly ruined a lot of players college careers. Warlicks apologists, followers, sycophants called them what you like laid blame for the many losses, development & lack of playing time on players like Diamond Deshields, Mercedes Russell, Nia Moore, Kortney Dunbar et al.
And to make matters worse Holly refused to leave voluntarily creating a divide amongst the Lady Vol nation.

Get the record straight and do not ever forget that Holly Warlick nearly single handedly destroyed the Lady Vol program. And that's not hyperbole. Check y'all's memory banks.

And last but not least. Holly fans have the nerve to throw her a celebration at the Holiday Inn in dwtwn Knoxville. Smh
Holly never publicly said thanks nor goodbye to the Tennessee fan base.

Furh Holly!
💯

I guess I just don’t see a benefit in continuing to beat her when she’s down. Trust me, I was among those who was skeptical from Day 1 of someone with Holly’s personality type (and obvious comfort with just being an assistant) becoming a first-time head coach of the most storied program in the sport. I was sad to have been right. And, yes, even angry for a good while that she wasn’t stepping down when it was painfully obvious that it was well past time to do so.

But Jeez, now that a fresh start has begun, why can’t we just admit that mistakes were made but that noone ever made them any of them intentionally trying to hurt anyone? If careers were ruined, it’s between those players and their coaches to decide what to do about it.

It’s for the good of the program for fans to stop harping on the events of the recent past.

I guess I just don’t see a benefit in continuing to beat her when she’s down. Trust me, I was among those who was skeptical from Day 1 of someone with Holly’s personality type (and obvious comfort with just being an assistant) becoming a first-time head coach of the most storied program in the sport. I was sad to have been right. And, yes, even angry for a good while that she wasn’t stepping down when it was painfully obvious that it was well past time to do so.

But Jeez, now that a fresh start has begun, why can’t we just admit that mistakes were made but that noone ever made them any of them intentionally trying to hurt anyone? If careers were ruined, it’s between those players and their coaches to decide what to do about it.

It’s for the good of the program for fans to stop harping on the events of the recent past.

What is good for Lady Vol program that SHE IS NOT THE COACH now , LET HER GO AWAY...………..GO LADY VOLS and CKH

Holly is well deserving of these players honoring her this way.She has been a Lady Vol for 38+ years.It is over for her as a coach at UT,and I think she is fighting feelings inside.Lets all let her go in peace and encourage her to keep on being a Lady Vol from wherever she is in the future!!

The issue I take with your statement is the “why can’t we just admit” portion. You’re missing the point. Some fans would like HOLLY to admit that mistakes were made. You honestly do come off like an apologist, but you’re the wrong one giving the apology.

The only thing I hold against Warlick now is her refusal to step down when it became clear that she wasn't getting it done.
She also deserved most of the criticism that came her way during her tenure.
However, if LVs want to celebrate her as a LVFL, she's def earned that.

Yes, after hearing some of the goings on after she was finally removed I still have a bad taste in my mouth about her. Above all else those kids are there to get an education and that was quite clearly taking a backseat under Holly. Letting academics slide and still not winning screams “no discipline, nowhere.” I don’t wish her ill will, but I could care less if I ever hear her name mentioned in conjunction with Lady Vol Basketball ever again.

Holly ruined a lot of players college careers. Warlicks apologists, followers, sycophants called them what you like laid blame for the many losses, development & lack of playing time on players like Diamond Deshields, Mercedes Russell, Nia Moore, Kortney Dunbar et al.
And to make matters worse Holly refused to leave voluntarily creating a divide amongst the Lady Vol nation.

Get the record straight and do not ever forget that Holly Warlick nearly single handedly destroyed the Lady Vol program. And that's not hyperbole. Check y'all's memory banks.

And last but not least. Holly fans have the nerve to throw her a celebration at the Holiday Inn in dwtwn Knoxville. Smh
Holly never publicly said thanks nor goodbye to the Tennessee fan base.

Furh Holly!
💯
Get over it alreay

TJ and Undercovervol... good posts...

To encapsulate in similar manner.... HW took our program from Pat 2011 - 12 that last year Pat officially HC.... didn't have the tools to be a HC.... didn't garner any respect from the players..... didn't institute much that was new and current.... kept with the EFFORT DEFENSE REBOUNDING... which had become not so much non-important but certainly passé..... and worst of all.... blamed the players and said publicly that if she knew what was wrong she would fix it.... and of course refused to acknowledge that it was HER.... she stayed as long as UT would pay her salary

Over those 9 years.... you can use your own analogy.... Tennessee was a race car with a low tire.... being passed these years like it was standing still by the Mississippi States, South Carolinas.... Oregons, Oregon States.... we were the injured animal getting eaten by the other animals.... heck even Alabama several times in a row.

I wish Holly well, but don't have a lot of stomach for the apologists.... "It is impossible to follow a legend" "lot of injuries" .... "young team"..."I can't coach effort"

happy a new era is here

To encapsulate in similar manner.... HW took our program from Pat 2011 - 12 that last year Pat officially HC.... didn't have the tools to be a HC.... didn't garner any respect from the players..... didn't institute much that was new and current.... kept with the EFFORT DEFENSE REBOUNDING... which had become not so much non-important but certainly passé..... and worst of all.... blamed the players and said publicly that if she knew what was wrong she would fix it.... and of course refused to acknowledge that it was HER.... she stayed as long as UT would pay her salary

Over those 9 years.... you can use your own analogy.... Tennessee was a race car with a low tire.... being passed these years like it was standing still by the Mississippi States, South Carolinas.... Oregons, Oregon States.... we were the injured animal getting eaten by the other animals.... heck even Alabama several times in a row.

I wish Holly well, but don't have a lot of stomach for the apologists.... "It is impossible to follow a legend" "lot of injuries" .... "young team"..."I can't coach effort"

happy a new era is here

Agree with everything but the last statement...How do you think new legends are created?
Go Coach Harper!..this is your platform

happy a new era is here
Thanks LVB hate to beat a dead horse but Alabama beat us I think 6 times in a row and not several.

Reactions: LasVegasBill23
I’m so glad Holly is receiving the love and support of so many people who want to give back to her what she had always so happily given to them when they needed it. Looks like it was a fantastic event.

Dan Fleser: Holly Warlick Has Her Highs And Lows

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2019/06/08/holly-warlick-tennessee-lady-vols-kellie-harper/1331044001/

The only thing she should ever receive is a banishment from ever stepping foot in the state of Tennessee again. She single handedly took the premier women's program and ran it deeper into the ground than Dooley and Jones did to the football program. I for one will never celebrate anything related to that sorry ass "coach", she's garbage and should be treated as such. And before any of you Warlick apologists start with how much more of a Vol she is than me blah, blah, blah you can save your breath.

The only thing she should ever receive is a banishment from ever stepping foot in the state of Tennessee again. She single handedly took the premier women's program and ran it deeper into the ground than Dooley and Jones did to the football program. I for one will never celebrate anything related to that sorry ass "coach", she's garbage and should be treated as such. And before any of you Warlick apologists start with how much more of a Vol she is than me blah, blah, blah you can save your breath.

This kind of talk is absolutely ridiculous.... some of you need to learn what it means to be a Lady Vol..... It means being a Lady Vol in the good times and the bad..... Should she have been let go sooner.... yes, but that is the administrations decision. As for the Holly Lovers that set up this celebration for Holly... it was set up by former players and coaches.... you know the ones that actually coached with and played for Holly.

This kind of talk is absolutely ridiculous.... some of you need to learn what it means to be a Lady Vol..... It means being a Lady Vol in the good times and the bad..... Should she have been let go sooner.... yes, but that is the administrations decision. As for the Holly Lovers that set up this celebration for Holly... it was set up by former players and coaches.... you know the ones that actually coached with and played for Holly.

Did you read the last part of my post? If not do so and if you did re-read it and apply it

Reactions: T.J.
No I didn’t miss that you view yourself as an internet tough guy.... congrats?

Is that what you got out of that? Well then your ignorance is even more prevalent than I thought. Over 12,000 posts and 3,000 likes tells me that the majority of your posts are useless drivel. Now once again go back to the original post, read the end and apply it to your sorry self.

Reactions: T.J.
Is that what you got out of that? Well then your ignorance is even more prevalent than I thought. Over 12,000 posts and 3,000 likes tells me that the majority of your posts are useless drivel. Now once again go back to the original post, read the end and apply it to your sorry self.

Thanks for the laugh.... counting likes lol.....have a good day.... Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I apologize for some of the things I said, I'm more old school so I forget about the times we live in now. I realize that some of you Holly lovers are extremely sensitive and probably have to pet your emotional support animals often just to make it thru the day. And BTW if I were you I'd change the beast in my name to another B word, just some free advice ;) Now, you have a nice day

What are you talking about? I wanted her let go as much as anyone.... I can still respect what she means to the UT family though..... you obviously don’t know me bc im as intense as anyone when it comes to sports.... There is just a time and place for it.... I’m usually use to being the over the top basketball dad.... not use to being called sawft..... I’m the dad that made his daughter do push ups in the gym right after a 4th grade rec league game bc she missed a lay up.... just bc Holly failed miserably as our coach does not change the fact that she was our first Olympian, has her jersey hanging in the rafters and had a part in all our championships....that’s not counting what she meant to all past Lady Vols off the court.

What are you talking about? I wanted her let go as much as anyone.... I can still respect what she means to the UT family though..... you obviously don’t know me bc im as intense as anyone when it comes to sports.... There is just a time and place for it.... I’m usually use to being the over the top basketball dad.... not use to being called sawft..... I’m the dad that made his daughter do push ups in the gym right after a 4th grade rec league game bc she missed a lay up.... just bc Holly failed miserably as our coach does not change the fact that she was our first Olympian, has her jersey hanging in the rafters and had a part in all our championships....that’s not counting what she meant to all past Lady Vols off the court.

I will sincerely apologize to you, my passion gets the best of me at times. That being said I just don't feel that someone who takes zero responsibility in what she did to this program should be celebrated. Once again I will apologize as we're all Vol fans and want what's best for all of our teams

Reactions: Smallvol#1
The vitriol is just not becoming. Some posters are acting as though Holly intentionally sought to damage the LVs program.

Her mistake was staying on too long.

But her first three years as HC did not ruin careers nor destroy the LV program.

Just to review

2012-13 (Holly's first official season as HC): 27-8; SEC regular season champ and an elite 8 finish.

2013-14; 29-6; Sec tournament champ and the sweet 16

2015-15; 30-6; SEC regular season co-champ and the elite 8

Those are respectable outcomes and on par with the accomplishments of the LVs prior class (Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen under CPS who were the first to not make a final four).

Things started to visibly slide after those first three seasons, though the LVs still made an unexpected run to the elite 8 in the 2015-16 season.

Holly stayed too long because she was deeply committed to the program and I have no doubt believed she could turn things around.

No doubt she was mistaken but devoting 38 years of one's to an institution is an admirable outcome, particularly in a day and age where loyalty is anachronism.

People don't have to respect her dedication (or her accomplishments as a player, assistant coach and even as head coach taking over a program under very difficult circumstances -- CPS did not just retire; she was deteriorating before everyone's very eyes).

But, perhaps people can have enough decency to not take potshots or insults at HW on the occassion of a tribute, where many former LVs returned to pay their respects.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back