Vols lead the nation in recruiting

Before everyone flaps their lips the wisdom of offering or accepting an 8th graders commit - watch his tape. That is one slippery kid, who can also lay down a serious block.

Last month, he was timed at 4.88 seconds in the 40-yard dash and 4.56 seconds in the agility shuttle at The Opening Regional in Murfreesboro, Tenn., where he also posted a 30.8-inch vertical jump.

Thats crazy at that age. Sure we may lose him later (and then again, we may not) but give Pruitt credit for immediately recognizing what was there and making the gesture (which will be long remembered and appreciated). That is how recruiting is done tho - get in there early and build relationship. Thats why so many on this staff were #1 Recruiter of the Year winners.

Alabama DB/athlete gives Tennessee early commitment

Last edited:
Watching that tape.. Yep, he runs fast, but dang.. Look at some of those kids in the white jerseys. 90 lb. 6th and 7th graders - some of them. Little bitty football players. Reminded me of my son's very first play in football. This isn't a joke either, it's real.. Dang coach put him in against a school were the birth certificates were in doubt. I had my camera on the sidelines. Saw this coming. The story unfolds left to right.

wills_first_play.jpg

I know this is a different sport but here's a cautionary tale.

Andre Allen was a 5 9 8th grade point guard from Memphis and was #1 8th grade recruit nationally.

He did not grow anymore and to play college ball, he had to walk on at Memphis

Reactions: RollerVol
Watching that tape.. Yep, he runs fast, but dang.. Look at some of those kids in the white jerseys. 90 lb. 6th and 7th graders - some of them. Little bitty football players. Reminded me of my son's very first play in football. This isn't a joke either, it's real.. Dang coach put him in against a school were the birth certificates were in doubt. I had my camera on the sidelines. Saw this coming. The story unfolds left to right.

View attachment 208288
giphy.gif

VN Store

Back