Caylan Arnold is now in the transfer portal

Some SEC schools give undergrads a conditional release, requiring the player to sit a year intra-conference. UT generally grants an unconditional release in non-revenue sports. It's handled player-by-player.

Conditional releases aren’t allowed anymore, part of the transfer portal legislation. You either get a release or you don’t, and that’s supposed to be known before you’re put in the portal by the compliance officer.

Reactions: Nerf_Herder_Vol
Oklahoma State and Oklahoma go after virtually every transfer hard. They each have 3 or 4 transfers on their roster this year, including both starting pitchers (G Juarez from Arizona State and Samantha Show from Texas A&M). Without those transfers, neither team would've been in OKC, most likely. OU's other pitcher is a transfer from Florida Int'l and was CUSA FOY. Last year, OSU nabbed Sprang, Show and Sydney Springfield (LSU) in the offseason and it raised a lot of eyebrows.

So honestly if Arnold winds up at OSU, it wouldn't surprise me.

Oklahoma doesn’t go after every transfer. And why would they? Gasso recruits to how she wants her program run. And so far, it seems to work. She has recruited players that only last a year and players that go the distance. Gasso does backgrounds on any player wanting to transfer into that program. Many have tried. Many have been turned back. You act as though that program is desperate for transfers when in all actuality, transfers seem desperate to get into that program. When’s the last time the Weeklys have had transfers beating on their door wanting in?? As for Juarez, that was just plain good sense. Gasso recruited a top 3 pitcher in the country in Brook Vestal and a top catcher and is only setting up continued success in her bullpen/battery. I bet Karen and Ralph wishes they had that problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVU05UT09
Most of the programs in the WCWS have transfers at key positions. The two SEC teams that made it to OKC relied on transfers to win. Lindaman is one of UF's top two hitters, and Bama brought in two transfer pitchers to avoid overworking Fouts. UF's already adding transfers for next year, scooping up Charla Echols from MSU to replace clutch hitter Lorenz.

The LVs will be relying on incoming FR to fill the gaps. Our pitching staff next year will be a SO that we'll ride hard and a couple of FR who may or may not be ready to play an SEC schedule. Riding one arm and relying too heavily on FR doesn't always bode well for the postseason-- as we've seen.

Alabama brought in 1 transfer pitcher (Cornell) and she was from Hofstra
Bama did sign 2 JUCO Pitchers to help their Roster (Gettins, Florida Southwestern JC)(Goodman, Chipola JC)

Oklahoma doesn’t go after every transfer. And why would they? Gasso recruits to how she wants her program run. And so far, it seems to work. She has recruited players that only last a year and players that go the distance. Gasso does backgrounds on any player wanting to transfer into that program. Many have tried. Many have been turned back. You act as though that program is desperate for transfers when in all actuality, transfers seem desperate to get into that program. When’s the last time the Weeklys have had transfers beating on their door wanting in?? As for Juarez, that was just plain good sense. Gasso recruited a top 3 pitcher in the country in Brook Vestal and a top catcher and is only setting up continued success in her bullpen/battery. I bet Karen and Ralph wishes they had that problem.

It was tongue in cheek. Obviously they and OSU don't go after "every" transfer, but OU is quite frequently in the mix for elite players that are transferring, and if you don't think Gasso goes after them hard, you're living in a fantasy world. Both Juarez and Saile were likely UGA bound until their visit to OU. You think they went there because Norman is a paradise? And what are you, Gasso's publicist? Between this and you scoffing at the notion that OU benefits from the WCWS being 20 minutes down the road, I'm starting to wonder.

OU definitely wouldn't be in the WCWS and wouldn't have been nearly as good without Juarez. Not even close. So yeah, they needed transfers this year. Their pitching staff would be a hot, heaping pile of garbage without transfers.

Weeklys don't have transfers beating down the door because they're hard asses, especially Karen. This is old news.

Last edited:
Reactions: sccshortstop
That's why God created blue font smart guy.
Is blue font sort of like telling people I'm going to say something sarcastic before I say it? I must admit sarcasm is harder to discern in print, without benefit of tone, inflection or facial expression. It seems to me there's been a decrease in people's ability to recognize when I'm being sarcastic or facetious in conversation.

Reactions: PrattvilleVol
Is blue font sort of like telling people I'm going to say something sarcastic before I say it? I must admit sarcasm is harder to discern in print, without benefit of tone, inflection or facial expression. It seems to me there's been a decrease in people's ability to recognize when I'm being sarcastic or facetious in conversation.

Blue font connotes sarcasm, at least for this site. Sort of like if I wanted to say, everyone on this site is intelligent and polite. Doubt blue font would really be needed, but heck, I’m pretty literal myself.😂 I might even believe me.

w r o n g

New NCAA DI Transfer Rules in Effect

By Michael Kyllo-Kittleson

Posted on October 15, 2018

Moving Forward

Starting today, a student-athlete only needs to provide their university and coach their written “intent” to transfer. After this occurs, the university must enter the student-athlete’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. At this point, the student-athlete may contact and be contacted by whomever. However, inter-conference transferring rules do still apply. So things like sitting out a season of play when transferring within the same conference are still in effect.

Reactions: WizardofOz
She was the best pitcher down the stretch when it mattered. Huge loss for UT. Probably the best situation for her, won’t have to take a back seat to 2 underclassman and will have a better chance at getting to a WCWS with better coaching than she received here.

15 straight seasons as regional hosts and 1 pitch away from the WCWS this season and you think coaching is better elsewhere?? Ralph and Karen are excellent coaches..2 weeks on VN and you're posting that BS?? Get over yourself.....

15 straight seasons as regional hosts and 1 pitch away from the WCWS this season and you think coaching is better elsewhere?? Ralph and Karen are excellent coaches..2 weeks on VN and you're posting that BS?? Get over yourself.....
Yep this cat has come in here and wants to be our gift for all things SOFTBALL!!! If it is so great identify oneself so we can all see thy greatness!!

Sorry to see her go, but wish her the best in her future endeavors.

this year, Florida St. had no pitcher really step up behind King, so maybe Arnold will get to be the ace --- whatever, but I think her chances of getting to the WCWS would have been better at UT ( just my opinion)

VN Store

Back