Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

That’s my point, people are saying this but it’s not true...he isn’t only going for lower ranked guys, the most recent classes are a trend upwards in recruiting. He’s not taking 5 guys unranked and us all hoping they turn out to be the next Schofield or Williams, he’s taking a 4 star in ORN and we’re hoping he’s that. He’s taking a 5* in Josiah James and we are hoping he’s as good as Bone. He’s taking a 5* in Corey Walker and we are hoping he produces like Admiral. He’s taking Top 150 Uros Plavsic and hoping he’s like Alexander. He’s taking Top 100 Victor Bailey and we are hoping he’s similar to Bowden.

You seem to be suggesting that recruiting is the same as it was 3-4 years ago which led to the team we saw of Bone/Turner/Schofield/Williams/Alexander etc. but that’s not the case at all, recent classes have included much higher profile guys.
I believe I said earlier that we are trending in the right direction recruiting wise and seem to be fishing in a bigger pond now. Not sure how I'm suggesting recruiting is the same as it was 3-4 years ago. If the expectation though is for the program to take another step, we are going to have to consistently land some top 50 kids year in and year out. Being in their top 3 and getting them to sign and enroll are two different things.

I have an issue with calling Bailey top 100. He was top 100 in 2017, but if they redid the rankings now would he be top 100? I don't know. Throwing him out there is misleading if you ask me.

Josiah has been his biggest get so far, and if Barnes is landing a top 30 guy every season, then he can develop the rest of the roster and build around 1 stud a year. If Corey Walker is our stud this season, continue to find the right guys and keep building. This 2020 class will be a better barometer of where recruiting is heading. We are in it for a lot of high profile kids and probably need to land at least one more high profile kid.

I believe I said earlier that we are trending in the right direction recruiting wise and seem to be fishing in a bigger pond now. Not sure how I'm suggesting recruiting is the same as it was 3-4 years ago. If the expectation though is for the program to take another step, we are going to have to consistently land some top 50 kids year in and year out. Being in their top 3 and getting them to sign and enroll are two different things.

I have an issue with calling Bailey top 100. He was top 100 in 2017, but if they redid the rankings now would he be top 100? I don't know. Throwing him out there is misleading if you ask me.

Josiah has been his biggest get so far, and if Barnes is landing a top 30 guy every season, then he can develop the rest of the roster and build around 1 stud a year. If Corey Walker is our stud this season, continue to find the right guys and keep building. This 2020 class will be a better barometer of where recruiting is heading. We are in it for a lot of high profile kids and probably need to land at least one more high profile kid.

So then do we credit Barnes for landing Top 20 Grant Williams? How about Top 50’s Jordan Bone & Admiral Schofield? Top 100’s Kyle Alexander, Jordan Bowden and Lamonte Turner?

That’s the issue with the bolded, you wanna say rerank because Bailey is misleading, but still want to then act like the early classes weren’t good enough? Can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
Could Pember still blue shirt or go to a prep school/reclassify? I know that was an option that was discussed with him before, but I assume it's too late.

I don't think UT gets Blackshear anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. But it's still curious.

Could Pember still blue shirt or go to a prep school/reclassify? I know that was an option that was discussed with him before, but I assume it's too late.

I don't think UT gets Blackshear anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. But it's still curious.

Hard to know. The answer should be no because he’s already participating but we had a football player do that a few years back so I’m assuming he could

Yea “go to tennessee where you might have to pay 25k if your in state and 40k out”
Has a ring to it that makes one laugh I guess.
I doubt anyone (Pember, most likely) is being forced to do this. It is most likely voluntary, and if so, no way he is paying $25k with Hope scholarship money and any additional academic scholarships/Grant's he can apply for.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
I doubt anyone (Pember, most likely) is being forced to do this. It is most likely voluntary, and if so, no way he is paying $25k with Hope scholarship money and any additional academic scholarships/Grant's he can apply for.

Can’t get academic money. Lottery only thing you can get. Nobody is going to volunteer to take 30k out of their pockets.

I forgot, you’re right, North Carolina really struggled in recruiting when Luke Maye walked on lmao.
Good grief dude.

We ain’t unc and recruiting a walk is one thing. They know they are going to have to pay but recruiting a scholarship player it’s a bad precedent to be able to say that kid might end up having to pay.

Apples to oranges. Just a terrible response by you. Sad really

VN Store

Back