'20 TN DL Marcus Henderson

Saturday wasn't Marcus Henderson's first time to Knoxville, but it brought the same type excitement that he has felt each time he's been on Rocky Top. The Memphis native took in Tennessee's January junior day yesterday and enjoyed the trip. "It was a good visit," Henderson said. "We met the coaches, toured the facilities and went to the basketball game. Those were the highlights. It wasn't my first trip. I've been up there three or four times now." The visit gave him a good chance to get reacquainted with things. "I like Knoxville as a whole," Henderson said. "I like the coaching staff. There is just a lot about it." The Tennessee roster has added more and more talent from West Tennessee in recent years. The group of Memphis-made Vols has made recruiting the area much easier for the current staff. That group, led by Jerome Carvin, Jeremy Banks and Eric Gray, have been very persistent when West Tennessee prospects hit campus and Henderson heard their pitch loud and clear Saturday.
"They were on me a whole lot," Henderson said. "Eric, Jerome and Jeremy definitely were on me. That's all I get from them. They just say there is no better place to be. No reason to go anywhere else and just be here to help build." The Tennessee staff has made Henderson a priority early on the 2020 class. He's grown to really like offensive line coach Will Friend. "I like the whole staff," Henderson said. "Coach (David) Johnson, coach (Jeremy) Pruitt and coach Friend. Definitely coach Friend. He's a laid back guy, but you know he will get vocal when he is actually coaching. He likes what I can do and bring to the program. He likes that I'm versatile and can play guard and tackle." And it's that versatility plus physicality that Henderson feels like makes him the coveted lineman that he is. "I think my run blocking sets me a part," Henderson said. "I like to bulldoze you and put you in the dirt." Besides Tennessee, Henderson's other top schools are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State and Florida. Rivals.com ranks Henderson as a 4-star offensive tackle in the class of 2020.
-VQ

Last edited:
For what it is worth on Henderson I believe a lot of his “ranking stock” dropping had to do with him having put on some bad weight and being a tweener as far as position goes. Marcus has always been honest with me about when Tennessee is recruiting him hard and when they aren’t. They seem to be much more involved than a few months ago.

REALITY is they were fired. QUESTION was why didnt they recruit a 2020 kid really really hard.

My impression was Butch slacked off recruiting during his last year. It looked like he knew he'd lost the team and fan support. Then he lost all those games. I think he knew mid season that his time at Tennessee was near the end.

And one of the first things I was impressed with, post-hire Butch was how many years ahead he was recruiting...especially in comparison to Dooley. Cade committed in 2015, so they knew the whole song and dance. I believe Butch was too embattled with the hot seat talk, who his new AD would be and the resulting staff hires and lost focus on 3 classes ahead. His OL recruiting was inconsistent to downright shoddy, so hard to say he would have done proper justice whilst fully focused but my point was and remains that this salvo of bisching is as much a reach as some posters obsession with Butch Tweeting congrats or even appearing publicly. Its his first public failure at a job, people! Let him be and lets focus on the guy attempting to fix the mess.

Well said, Fred

My impression was Butch slacked off recruiting during his last year. It looked like he knew he'd lost the team and fan support. Then he lost all those games. I think he knew mid season that his time at Tennessee was near the end.
Some nice players committed and some questionable. Most likely a top 10 class...ranking wise.

I dont know that he slacked off as much as everyone realized he had no clue how to coach. You can only sell hype for so long.

Some nice players committed and some questionable. Most likely a top 10 class...ranking wise.

I do not recall it looking like a top ten. I do think Pru's 2020 class still has that potential. And like you said, we are where we are now, with Pruitt. I hope games this year differ dramatically from the last.

I do not recall it looking like a top ten. I do think Pru's 2020 class still has that potential. And like you said, we are where we are now, with Pruitt. I hope games this year differ dramatically from the last.
It was a top 5 before the season at 16 commits. That would’ve evened out but not too steep a drop. Pruitt know his coachable, football smart players and he dropped a lot upon taking the job.

Back on this kid after a couple of misses on OL. Sounds like he knows it's just business, and the staff never completely cut off communication. I think he's as good as a couple of the guy we're in on.

Still in play here.
A new offensive line target to watch is Marcus Henderson. Like French, the Vols have been very impressed with Henderson’s senior tape. The MUS lineman is similar to Morris in that he projects as a guard or right tackle, but the 6-5, 280-pound Memphis native has transformed his body this year and is playing with much more physicality. The Vols are working to get Henderson back on campus. Auburn, Mississippi State and Ole Miss are the schools recruiting Henderson the hardest right now, with Alabama and others keeping tabs.
-VQ

VN Store

Back