2019 Season -- Bold Predictions

JG wasn't much of a dual threat in HS. He's a passer. If he puts the mental part together with the physical part... he can be very good.

That depends. He had 11 passing TDs and 6 rushing his last year of high school. That's a decent amount of rushing when compared to his passing.

That depends. He had 11 passing TDs and 6 rushing his last year of high school. That's a decent amount of rushing when compared to his passing.
I was going off yardage. IIRC, his highest total for any year in HS was in the 300-400 range. He isn't slow. But nothing he has done at UT suggests he is a DT QB.

That's OK with me. I have always loved the way he throws the ball. If he can put good reads and decision making with that... UT has a QB.

There's a huge difference in 40 times and game speed. In fact game speed would be the go to attribute if they could find a way to measure it imo. The best example of this I can think of is Jerry Rice. I can't remember his 40 time out of college but I do remember it being closer to qb speed from his "A Football Life". But his game speed was another animal and only Bill Walsh seen it.
Maurer is in that group imo. At some point he obviusly ran a 4.79 at a major event. But there's a play on his highlights (I think just a few plays into the video) where he finds a crease from about 70 yds away. Now I've seen quite a few 40s ran in my time by many different athletes and that was NOT 4.79.
Rice did it with things other than speed. And when you really look at it. A .2 difference over 40 yds is about 5'. There are lots of things a player can know or do to make up for that difference.

Speed is speed. I know what you're saying with game speed. Worse yet, guys can "learn" how to run a 40 with techniques that do not translate to running in a game. BUT... guys like Schwarz from Auburn or Cordarelle Patterson and guys like them... are just faster than other people. All other things being equal... give me that guy with innate speed.

It is more difficult because far fewer players run hurdles in HS track... but that seems to translate better to how a guy's "game speed" will be. I think Justin Hunter was a big time 110 M hurdles guy. Good measure of speed, anticipation, coordination, and sudden bursts.

We fired an 8-3 Johnny Majors. Other than at Auburn, seen a NC winning coach canned at a P5 school in recent memory other than Fulmer? Just sayin'
There was a long decline between the NC and Fulmer's firing. There was an even longer period between Majors' NC at Pitt and his firing at UT... which didn't seem to be altogether about W/L's.

Les Miles comes to mind. IIRC, there was pressure on Stallings due to the NCAA issues. Larry Coker was fired after winning a NC and with an .800 win %. Bobby Bowden quit under pressure. Mack Brown was under pressure when he left Texas.

Reactions: Rooster1
Continuing the drill I see, positioning yourself for when the season starts and plays out. No worries, prudent thing to do.
So.... forever I have said that JG has the physical talent to be a very good QB. I have said his lack of production was NOT just because of the OL but because his reads, decisionmaking, et al.

And now you want to claim I'm "positioning"? Someone is... but it isn't me. I've said the same thing the whole time while you and others accused me of "hating" JG. Glad you're finally acknowledging that was untrue. I want him to be a great QB. Unlike you and others... I just won't pretend he has been.

So.... forever I have said that JG has the physical talent to be a very good QB. I have said his lack of production was NOT just because of the OL but because his reads, decisionmaking, et al.

And now you want to claim I'm "positioning"? Someone is... but it isn't me. I've said the same thing the whole time while you and others accused me of "hating" JG. Glad you're finally acknowledging that was untrue. I want him to be a great QB. Unlike you and others... I just won't pretend he has been.
No reason to get all defensive like this, just made a simple, obvious observation. No big deal. Look forward to seeing your posts on JG once the season starts....if he plays well you’re ready, if you think he doesn’t, you’re set. Well played. You should take it as a compliment.

Reactions: k-town_king
No reason to get all defensive like this, just made a simple, obvious observation. No big deal. Look forward to seeing your posts on JG once the season starts....if he plays well you’re ready, if you think he doesn’t, you’re set. Well played. You should take it as a compliment.
Oh, I know... it isn't like you and several others haven't been on the attack for the last few months toward anyone who dared question the infallibility of JG.... In my particular case, it required you to be dishonest about my motives and "feelings" toward JG. I've said the same thing for months. You just realized it... but don't want to admit that you've never had reason to suggest I "hated" JG or wanted him to fail or any of that other non-sense.

No big deal. You're set. You've covered your tracks on what you said to and about me. And you still have built in responses... If he plays well you can say he was great all along. If he plays poorly you can still blame everyone but him.

I was going off yardage. IIRC, his highest total for any year in HS was in the 300-400 range. He isn't slow. But nothing he has done at UT suggests he is a DT QB.

That's OK with me. I have always loved the way he throws the ball. If he can put good reads and decision making with that... UT has a QB.

The issue is he hardly moves at all. If he moves more than the backups did in the spring game, he can avoid some of those sacks and hopefully throw to someone that is open.

Oh, I know... it isn't like you and several others haven't been on the attack for the last few months toward anyone who dared question the infallibility of JG.... In my particular case, it required you to be dishonest about my motives and "feelings" toward JG. I've said the same thing for months. You just realized it... but don't want to admit that you've never had reason to suggest I "hated" JG or wanted him to fail or any of that other non-sense.

No big deal. You're set. You've covered your tracks on what you said to and about me. And you still have built in responses... If he plays well you can say he was great all along. If he plays poorly you can still blame everyone but him.
Dude, like I said, no reason to get all twisted and defensive, we get it. Relax.

Dude, like I said, no reason to get all twisted and defensive, we get it. Relax.
LOL... Coming from you? You've spazzed out for months now when someone was critical of JG... and pretty much whined that everything and everyone else sucked.

You "get it"? That's good. Glad you admit you've been wrong... in your own "special" way.

LOL... Coming from you? You've spazzed out for months now when someone was critical of JG... and pretty much whined that everything and everyone else sucked.

You "get it"? That's good. Glad you admit you've been wrong... in your own "special" way.
Whew. Got under your skin with such a simple observation....somebody feeling busted? Lol. Have a good weekend.

Whew. Got under your skin with such a simple observation....somebody feeling busted? Lol. Have a good weekend.
I was thinking just the opposite. You've been whining for a long time about objective criticism of JG... then realized it was "hate" but fairness, That gave you a case of panic.

I was thinking just the opposite. You've been whining for a long time about objective criticism of JG... then realized it was "hate" but fairness, That gave you a case of panic.
Feelings got hurt, doing your best (feebly) to turn the tables, it ain’t working.

Ftr, now it’s time to go back to bashing him, you have enough (2-3) posts you can point to in the future to prove you were “balanced”. Lol. Have a good one 18.

Feelings got hurt, doing your best (feebly) to turn the tables, it ain’t working.
LOL. You WAY overestimate your schtick. I can guarantee you haven't approached hurting my feelings.

Ftr, now it’s time to go back to bashing him, you have enough (2-3) posts you can point to in the future to prove you were “balanced”. Lol. Have a good one 18.
I would have thought you were above k-town style lying.

There's a huge difference in 40 times and game speed. In fact game speed would be the go to attribute if they could find a way to measure it imo. The best example of this I can think of is Jerry Rice. I can't remember his 40 time out of college but I do remember it being closer to qb speed from his "A Football Life". But his game speed was another animal and only Bill Walsh seen it.
Maurer is in that group imo. At some point he obviusly ran a 4.79 at a major event. But there's a play on his highlights (I think just a few plays into the video) where he finds a crease from about 70 yds away. Now I've seen quite a few 40s ran in my time by many different athletes and that was NOT 4.79.

Speed is important, but overvalued. I’ll be happy to take a guy runs a 4.6 or 4.7 who is also quick . People seem to get the two confused. Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin, for us Meachem wasn’t a burner, but he was quick as hell turning a hitch into a 80 yard pass play.

Speed is important, but overvalued. I’ll be happy to take a guy runs a 4.6 or 4.7 who is also quick . People seem to get the two confused. Larry Fitzgerald, Boldin, for us Meachem wasn’t a burner, but he was quick as hell turning a hitch into a 80 yard pass play.
I agree 100%. I tell receivers every yr that speed is a good thing but getting open isn't about how fast you can run. It's about how fast you can stop.

There was a long decline between the NC and Fulmer's firing. There was an even longer period between Majors' NC at Pitt and his firing at UT... which didn't seem to be altogether about W/L's.

Les Miles comes to mind. IIRC, there was pressure on Stallings due to the NCAA issues. Larry Coker was fired after winning a NC and with an .800 win %. Bobby Bowden quit under pressure. Mack Brown was under pressure when he left Texas.
Les Miles was a great example, Larry Coker was special but. it's fair. Every NCAA football coach is "under pressure" but Gene Stallings, really? Really? Really is where you lost credibility with me ... again.

Les Miles was a great example, Larry Coker was special but. it's fair. Every NCAA football coach is "under pressure" but Gene Stallings, really? Really? Really is where you lost credibility with me ... again.
How so? If I'm wrong then I'll admit it if you show me.

Well I officially made my guess on our wins this year so that means we are doomed for the exact opposite of what I said just like every year. Screenshot_20190602-123744.png

After last year most Vol fans are at a wait and see mind set and you can't blame them after getting embarrassed by Vandy and Missou to end the season, while watching all hopes of a bowl go down toilet with a girgle

VN Store

Back