2019 Season -- Bold Predictions

5-7. Gura
Okay, here goes. Remember: these are out on the edge of realistic. Some are further out than others.

1. Tennessee will not be the most improved team in the SEC. Judging purely by improvement in #wins, that distinction will go to Arkansas, which will get a +4 regular season result from its 2-10 finish in 2018. The Vols will go +3 (to 8-4 regular season record), one shy of the Hogs.

2. Pruitt will not be SEC Coach of the Year, in spite of a 9-4 finish (including a nice win over Michigan State in the Citrus Bowl). Folks will say a lot of nice things about CJP, but the CoY honors will go to Nick Saban--as they should every year that he continues to dominate the college football landscape. We can hate the red pachyderms all we like, still need to acknowledge that dude is a once-a-generation coach. (okay, this is not a bold prediction until you consider how the media love crowning the "plucky challenger" rather than the boringly-repetitive best guy...what's bold here is that they'll actually recognize Saban as they should've been doing every year for the past decade).

3. Guarantano will not be the highest-rated QB in the SEC. He will be second best. But he will go first among SEC QBs in the draft a few months later, so there's some vindication. In case this point wasn't clear enough: yes, I'm saying JG comes on blue blazes in 2019. Which also implies...

4. Impressive improvement in Tennessee's offensive line play. Somehow things just seem to have 'clicked' for the starting 5+2, and they perform from the very first week like a well-oiled machine. This, more than anything else, brings the Big Orange fan base back from the cliff we've been toeing for the better part of a decade.

5. Florida will challenge Georgia for the East two-thirds of the way through the season, then melt down in dramatic fashion with a 1-3 record in November. The McElwain-like grumbles will start, both among the Gator fan base and the media. The "he never really fit in here" whispers will start. It will be eerie how similar things feel to two years ago.

6. IknoxvolsI will finally admit he's a Florida troll pretending to be a Vol fan, something we've all known for years. Freak will force him to change his name to IwishIcouldbeavolI. He'll stop posting on these boards in protest.

7. Butchna and SJT will hug, KB will become the most optimistic VolNation.com member, Charger will admit he's a smokin-hot 30-year old ex Victoria Secret model pretending to be a dude, and Behr will propose marriage, sight-unseen.

That's probably enough. They're getting weirder as I go along.

Go Vols![/QUOT

You base this on what? Wishful thinking? We'll be lucky to win 5. Dan Mullen is already the premier FB coach in the East. They know how to hire coaches in Gainesville. Sorry. Truth hurts.

You base this on what? Wishful thinking? We'll be lucky to win 5. Dan Mullen is already the premier FB coach in the East. They know how to hire coaches in Gainesville. Sorry. Truth hurts.
I hate UF. But am more impressed with their willingness to fire than any greatness in hiring. Zook had a "decent" record and was building talent. They fired him at a point when UT gave Jones two more years. They fired Muschamp. They fired McElwain.

Mullen may be great... but if he wants to stay employed he better be. Again, I despise UF... but I wish UT took their approach to holding HC's to a high standard.

PS- UT has an opportunity to win 8 games if Pruitt is the "guy". BYU is a good program that P-5 programs should beat. UT has 3 other gimmes. UT should beat Vandy.

UGA and Bama are a bridge too far. Win one of those... rename a street.

UF is the next level down but Mullen had a head start. Your frustration is that he'll probably lose to Smart again.

The rest are winnable. Five games should be wins. Three are likely losses. Four are Pruitt's test.

I think it is silly to claim a guy who hasn't yet played his senior season in HS a Fr starter... HS success sometimes doesn't translate at all. It usually takes a year or two to translate.
People only make that statement that HB starts as a freshman due to ranking. Which is evident by how they never point out a particular reason why. They ASSUME that every qb is compared against one another and that's how they come up with "this one is better than that one". Not even close to true. There are too many hs qbs to break down every yr so the higher your hs is ranked itself the more attention the players get. It doesn't mean that qb A 5*(playing for the 10th ranked hs in the nation) is better than qb B 3*(playing for the 2958th ranked hs). It just means they seen more of qb A.

You're obviusly solid on Bailey. A lot of people are. One thing you're not talking into account is the fact that he's a pure pocket passer. He may move some but he can't run. In fact upon his arrival he's the least athletic of all 4 qbs. Ive read somewhere that this o line needs work....... if that's the case why would you start the least mobile qb on your roster behind that o line? Makes no sense especially after the preview we got last yr of the beating he'll take
I see your point. I guess I am counting on his football IQ and work ethic to be such that he reads defenses, pre-snap, and gets that ball away, or audibles into more productive plays, at the line of scrimmage. He's mobile enough, and large enough, to avoid some rushers, and just fast enough to get positive yards. JG is fast enough, as well. But, hesitates, due to indecision, and eats the ball. I am truly hoping JG improves tremendously in these aspects of his game. But I am not holding my breath. Afterall, JG was a dual-threat QB in HS. He's not a pure pocket passer. So this baffles me, that he is less than effective running the ball, or just scrambling, and buying himself time.

Lol. Peyton was NOT the starter from day 1. He didn’t play until both Colquitt and Helton we’re injure and even then he split time with another true freshman Brannon Stewart. Being groomed to start “one day” and starting “from day 1” are 2 entirely different things.

I love Bailey and the talent and potential he brings and I hope he is special and every bit the player we hope he is. But he ain’t starting from day or day 50 next year, unless injuries force him into the starting lineup....the same way they did Peyton back in ‘94.
Jerry Colquitt would've had a great season, and the Vols would've been contenders, had he not fallen. But, I think Peyton would've emerged as the back up, anyway. He just needed to be seasoned. Think about it. UT would've woodshedded nearly everyone they played. Manning was going to get alot of playing time, in the 2nd half of alot of games. Helton was a gamer, but he was headed to MLB. I think Cut would've opted to play Manning, over Helton and Stewart, eventually. Cut knew what he had in Manning. He's a pretty good judge of talent. Stewart was no slouch. His name is still recognized at A&M. He broke a few passing records, while he was there. But Manning was the class of the group, by far. That QB challenge, among those four guys, made him the Hall of Famer he is today.

And you are right. I had completely forgotten about Jerry Colquitt getting injured. We lost Jerry Colquitt and Billy Williams, in that first series, at UCLA.
Fulmer learned a valuable lesson that day. He had put all of his eggs in the Colquitt basket. The entire season turned in an instant! Although, I loved watching Todd Helton give his all. He was one tough mother! I am just glad he was able to escape without serious injury, and follow his dream, into MLB.

I see your point. I guess I am counting on his football IQ and work ethic to be such that he reads defenses, pre-snap, and gets that ball away, or audibles into more productive plays, at the line of scrimmage. He's mobile enough, and large enough, to avoid some rushers, and just fast enough to get positive yards. JG is fast enough, as well. But, hesitates, due to indecision, and eats the ball. I am truly hoping JG improves tremendously in these aspects of his game. But I am not holding my breath. Afterall, JG was a dual-threat QB in HS. He's not a pure pocket passer. So this baffles me, that he is less than effective running the ball, or just scrambling, and buying himself time.
Well for anyone that wants to know details outside of highlights, I've watched one active qb on UTs roster play several full games. Ive also watched Bailey as well. He's got his work cut out for him and I really hope he didn't underestimate the competition like most of VN has. I just feel like anyone that expects him to come in and take the job right away is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Reactions: KBVol
JG wasn't much of a dual threat in HS. He's a passer. If he puts the mental part together with the physical part... he can be very good.

Well for anyone that wants to know details outside of highlights, I've watched one active qb on UTs roster play several full games. Ive also watched Bailey as well. He's got his work cut out for him and I really hope he didn't underestimate the competition like most of VN has. I just feel like anyone that expects him to come in and take the job right away is setting themselves up for disappointment.
Don't know which one you're talking about but Maurer did a couple of subtle things that were impressive. One was the way he made subtle moves in the pocket. It is kind of like trying to balance a board with one hand with four ball bearings on top without dropping one. There's some instinct to doing it well. On one particular play, the edge rusher from the left seemed to be gaining an angle on the LT. Maurer took just a hop step up in the pocket putting the LT between himself and the rusher again. That is a skill QB's work on. But like throwing the ball accurately... some have more innate talent than others at doing it.

Maurer seemed to get the ball out quickly most of the time. The quality of his decisions isn't there yet. But he is decisive.

Shrout did some really nice things too. Neither has caught JG but the battle between the two and whoever else joins it is going to be a good one.

JG wasn't much of a dual threat in HS. He's a passer. If he puts the mental part together with the physical part... he can be very good.
So.....what’s up with all the positive comments all of a sudden?

Never mind, don’t answer, I see what you’re doing. Carry on.

Reactions: k-town_king
Well, I'd say that is a good idea, on his part, because Harrison Bailey is coming in 2020, and he already looks like a Pro QB. He will be the starter from day 1, of his arrival. JG or No JG.
I hope you don't really believe that .. the guy UT is after out of Texas is far and away better than Bailey (King) ... Bailey is good, not great and Cheney was not a fan of him when he was at UGA so don't be shocked if Bailey isn't at UT by the time NSD hits .. but again, if you land King, you're better off anyway.

Reactions: kbear01
Carnac.jpg

Muschamp's streak against the Vols will come to an end.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Don't know which one you're talking about but Maurer did a couple of subtle things that were impressive. One was the way he made subtle moves in the pocket. It is kind of like trying to balance a board with one hand with four ball bearings on top without dropping one. There's some instinct to doing it well. On one particular play, the edge rusher from the left seemed to be gaining an angle on the LT. Maurer took just a hop step up in the pocket putting the LT between himself and the rusher again. That is a skill QB's work on. But like throwing the ball accurately... some have more innate talent than others at doing it.

Maurer seemed to get the ball out quickly most of the time. The quality of his decisions isn't there yet. But he is decisive.

Shrout did some really nice things too. Neither has caught JG but the battle between the two and whoever else joins it is going to be a good one.
I agree Maurer needs time to develop in the decision making category(as does Bailey) which was evident on the 1st int. The second one should've never happened. Idc what anyone says, That one was on Keyton for giving up on the 50/50 ball. But both will come with time and experience. And yes. I have watched him quite a few times as well as Bailey. They are both really good. Excellent even. Both work the pocket equally as well. Both have exceptional ball placement skills. Bailey may have a slightly stronger arm but Maurer is much faster. Don't be fooled by that 4.79 they have posted. He ran a 4.6 at LSU right off the bus over a yr ago and in the 4.5s at a UF camp just before he committed to UT. Most don't know that what they seen in the spring game was no fluke. He only played (I think) 16 plays and threw for over 100 yrds and nearly 70% completion rate. No one will know what he could've done with a full game. Bailey may actually have a problem on his hands. That kid is no 3*.

Long term problem is I doubt UT will be able to keep both. They are both too good to sit on a bench.

I agree Maurer needs time to develop in the decision making category(as does Bailey) which was evident on the 1st int. The second one should've never happened. Idc what anyone says, That one was on Keyton for giving up on the 50/50 ball. But both will come with time and experience. And yes. I have watched him quite a few times as well as Bailey. They are both really good. Excellent even. Both work the pocket equally as well. Both have exceptional ball placement skills. Bailey may have a slightly stronger arm but Maurer is much faster. Don't be fooled by that 4.79 they have posted. He ran a 4.6 at LSU right off the bus over a yr ago and in the 4.5s at a UF camp just before he committed to UT. Most don't know that what they seen in the spring game was no fluke. He only played (I think) 16 plays and threw for over 100 yrds and nearly 70% completion rate. No one will know what he could've done with a full game. Bailey may actually have a problem on his hands. That kid is no 3*.

Long term problem is I doubt UT will be able to keep both. They are both too good to sit on a bench.
IIRC, Dobbs' reported 40 in HS was a 4.7 something.

It is always unpredictable. But when you have that many guys that "look good"... it improves your odds of the unpredictable being something good rather than bad.

So.....what’s up with all the positive comments all of a sudden?

Never mind, don’t answer, I see what you’re doing. Carry on.
No. If you didn't "see what I was doing" before... then you don't now. I have been critical of JG. I have also talked about his strengths at various times. I have ALWAYS said that I hoped he would improve. What I said was exactly what I've been saying for months.

Nothing has changed except maybe the course of a few conversations and you taking your blinders off just a little bit.

JG STILL has a long ways to go to be a good QB. I hope he can do it. But if he enters the season about the same as he left the last one... UT is in trouble unless they find someone to replace him. Even an improved OL can't give him 4 seconds on every play.

Last edited:
I hope you don't really believe that .. the guy UT is after out of Texas is far and away better than Bailey (King) ... Bailey is good, not great and Cheney was not a fan of him when he was at UGA so don't be shocked if Bailey isn't at UT by the time NSD hits .. but again, if you land King, you're better off anyway.
I watched King. King is that good, and Cheney doesn't like Bailey, why is Bailey even bothering? Is he stupid? He needs to go elsewhere, if we land King. Even if we don't, JG is going to be the starter, until he cannot stand up to the continuous beatings. Even then, Mauer or Shrout will play in front of him, if all you guys are saying is true. So....Bailey is trash. I get it. Not mobile enough. Too slow. A waste of time, I guess. I hope we get King.

I watched King. King is that good, and Cheney doesn't like Bailey, why is Bailey even bothering? Is he stupid? He needs to go elsewhere, if we land King. Even if we don't, JG is going to be the starter, until he cannot stand up to the continuous beatings. Even then, Mauer or Shrout will play in front of him, if all you guys are saying is true. So....Bailey is trash. I get it. Not mobile enough. Too slow. A waste of time, I guess. I hope we get King.
I never said he was trash .. in fact, I think my words were something along the lines of "good but not great" and that's the truth. King is just a better prospect AT THIS MOMENT. Bailey has the physical tools to get better but so far, it isn't translating .. he can certainly get better this year as a senior.

Reactions: kbear01
Bailey is not trash by any means. In fact I'm not sure I've ever read such a thing

No. If you didn't "see what I was doing" before... then you don't now. I have been critical of JG. I have also talked about his strengths at various times. I have ALWAYS said that I hoped he would improve. What I said was exactly what I've been saying for months.

Nothing has changed except maybe the course of a few conversations and you taking your blinders off just a little bit.

JG STILL has a long ways to go to be a good QB. I hope he can do it. But if he enters the season about the same as he left the last one... UT is in trouble unless they find someone to replace him. Even an improved OL can't give him 4 seconds on every play.
Continuing the drill I see, positioning yourself for when the season starts and plays out. No worries, prudent thing to do.

I hate UF. But am more impressed with their willingness to fire than any greatness in hiring. Zook had a "decent" record and was building talent. They fired him at a point when UT gave Jones two more years. They fired Muschamp. They fired McElwain.

Mullen may be great... but if he wants to stay employed he better be. Again, I despise UF... but I wish UT took their approach to holding HC's to a high standard.

PS- UT has an opportunity to win 8 games if Pruitt is the "guy". BYU is a good program that P-5 programs should beat. UT has 3 other gimmes. UT should beat Vandy.

UGA and Bama are a bridge too far. Win one of those... rename a street.

UF is the next level down but Mullen had a head start. Your frustration is that he'll probably lose to Smart again.

The rest are winnable. Five games should be wins. Three are likely losses. Four are Pruitt's test.

We fired an 8-3 Johnny Majors. Other than at Auburn, seen a NC winning coach canned at a P5 school in recent memory other than Fulmer? Just sayin'

Indeed.

IIRC, Dobbs' reported 40 in HS was a 4.7 something.

It is always unpredictable. But when you have that many guys that "look good"... it improves your odds of the unpredictable being something good rather than bad.
There's a huge difference in 40 times and game speed. In fact game speed would be the go to attribute if they could find a way to measure it imo. The best example of this I can think of is Jerry Rice. I can't remember his 40 time out of college but I do remember it being closer to qb speed from his "A Football Life". But his game speed was another animal and only Bill Walsh seen it.
Maurer is in that group imo. At some point he obviusly ran a 4.79 at a major event. But there's a play on his highlights (I think just a few plays into the video) where he finds a crease from about 70 yds away. Now I've seen quite a few 40s ran in my time by many different athletes and that was NOT 4.79.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back