What is the ONE thing Pruitt cannot do next year

I personally wouldn't be opposed to him dedicating this season to building experience and possibly finish a game behind schedule.
Think about it. JG could be moving on as early as next yr if he (1)has a breakout yr or (2) takes another beating like he did last yr. We have no one behind him with any real experience. Im pretty sure JT will be #2 so he'll get some snaps. Why not pick 4 games for Maurer to start or play significant time?

The o line is a question mark so if they struggle why not interchange and evaluate in real game action? You'll know who can and can't by midseason.

Same on d line as above.

The results in 2020 will be 2 possible 3 returning qbs with SEC experience. A young experianced o line and d line and the KNOWLEDGE of what positions are in the most need for recruiting and all we gave up was possibly 8-5 for 6-6. We still make a bowl game. Thoughts?
The QB controversy has been going on for 2 years now. Now the Offense seems to be JG this year. The job should be his until he gets hurt or someone wins the starting job in practice. I know the fan base. If the back up starts against an easy win and we win, there will be the JG haters saying see I told you he should not be the starting QB. They never stop and think how would the game have gone if he was the starter. I totally understand about getting the back up reps. I just think that should be when we are way ahead or have been blown out of a game.

Reactions: Smoked Cheddar
Can't lose to Vandy again. He's gotta prove he can be a better coach than Butch Jones. Butch won a couple bowl games....beat Florida and Georgia one year. But Butch DID blow the Oklahoma game and others...like Florida the next year. But Butch also had good recruiting classes. What happened our last 2 games cancelled out the big wins over Auburn and Kentucky. Those last 2 games left a horrible taste for...everything regarding the program including Pruitt imo. Lets be honest...he's gotta show he's better than ButchJones. Butch DID have some success here. Its a low bar....but Pruitts bad stuff....like those last 2 games has outweighed the feel good stuff he accomplished. I don't hate him....but those last 2 games really shook me in regard to him.

Last edited:
Can't lose to Vandy again. He's gotta prove he can be a better coach than Butch Jones. Burch won a couple bowl games....beat Florida and Georgia one year. But Butch DID blow the Oklahoma game and others...like Florida the next year. But Butch also had good recruiting classes. What happened our last 2 games cancelled out the big wins over Auburn and Kentucky. Those last 2 games left a horrible taste for...everything regarding the program including Pruitt imo. Lets be honest...he's gotta show he's better than Burch Jones. Butch DID have some success here. Its a low bar....but Pruitts bad stuff....like those last 2 games has outweighed the feel good stuff he accomplished. I don't hate him....but those last 2 games really shook me in regard to him.

I agree with this.

Not losing to Vandy, not losing more games than he wins etc are good but nobody knows exactly how good the teams we play this year will be so that's kind of a faulty measuring stick.

CJP cannot lose ANY games due to HIS incompetence. That's the one thing he cannot do, barring common sense things like the hooker and the motorcycle and University phone type things. Butch had alot of good things going for him but what kept the Vols from being true contenders was his incompetence of the game of football so he did alot of stupid stuff to get around that fact and it came back to bite him. It was too easy for the recruits/players/coaches/fans to see he was in over his head.

CJP cannot let the same happen. He needs to show he can coach. Even if it's in a loss, keep us close vs teams that are clearly better. Beat the teams we should. Don't lose because of dumb decisions, uninterested players, unpreppared players. Don't be the weak cog.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Like Johnny use to say...they remember November. Rule November.

I remember that. Pretty easy to say when the Nov. slate was a bad OOC game (with a few exceptions like ND), Ole Miss, UK, and Vandy to close the season.

Reactions: 08Vol
The QB controversy has been going on for 2 years now. Now the Offense seems to be JG this year. The job should be his until he gets hurt or someone wins the starting job in practice. I know the fan base. If the back up starts against an easy win and we win, there will be the JG haters saying see I told you he should not be the starting QB. They never stop and think how would the game have gone if he was the starter. I totally understand about getting the back up reps. I just think that should be when we are way ahead or have been blown out of a game.
I respect that opinion. It's a popular one. Im just thinking why start next season with the exact same problems we have right now when we are not expected to do much better than bowl eligible anyway? Plus I'm not only talking qbs. I mean all problem areas across the board. The worst that can happen is a loss to a team we shouldn't lose to. I think we've all seen that movie before with the current #1s anyway haven't we?

I like what you say, but there will be no tolerance for the "experimenting" and the likely losing that will result. I, like you would love to see more "experience building", but when your no. 1's are barely able to hang on part of the time, well......
But the point of the Pruitt hire was to build and compete in the future correct? Im not taking anything from the current #1s. Im just simply saying sometimes in situations like this the right combination of players that compliment one another is all you need to exceed expectations and he can't evaluate the future if the future is sitting on the sideline.

Reactions: savannahfan
Quit and go back to Bama..... Other than that let's see what we have on the field then decide what the ONE thing is.....

VN Store

Back