'19 JUCO DT Savion Williams (Tennessee signee)

I think Gooden can be dominant, he was playing really well the second half of last season after he got in shape and adjusted. Williams I believe is ahead of him as far as where Gooden was at this point. Middleton is gonna need some work, hopefully he can get into a few games to get some work, at the very least he will a be a big body we can throw in to give others a quick break.

Reactions: LittleVol
He was ok as a space eater as a freshman, but too out of shape to play more than a couple plays in a row without sucking wind.

He probably overcorrected as a sophomore. He should’ve been shooting for a playing weight of around 330-340, but he came in at 315 without really gaining any explosiveness.

this. just didnt care or know enough tondiscuss physique.

The four-star defensive lineman, who signed with the Vols in December and is set to arrive in Knoxville on Tuesday, admitted he’s even more appreciative of everything he will experience playing in the SEC because of the path he has taken to get there. He said he spent the past two years playing in fronts of crowds that typically numbered in dozens rather than hundreds. In just a few months, he’ll be running through the giant “T” formed by the Pride of the Southland Marching Band and hearing the roar of more than 100,000 fans inside Neyland Stadium.

“I was sitting in the crowd watching them play last year, so I can only imagine how the game-day feeling is when you actually run out there,” Williams said, recalling his official visit to Tennessee the weekend of Nov. 17 for the Vols’ home finale last season against Missouri. “It only makes it bittersweet when you’re not used to things like that. We didn’t have the big crowds and all that stuff like that. At juco, you probably had 50 people at your game. Going from 50 to 105,000 — now that’s a big difference. “I’m going to cherish that moment when it happens, and it’s going to be something different for me.”

When he was in high school, he said, “Penn State was really my dream school, probably.” He didn’t necessarily envision playing in the SEC. But his college decision turned out to be relatively easy following his first visit to Tennessee in late July. “If I was in high school, I would never think that I would be at Tennessee right now,” Williams said. “But the coaches, everything about this place, man, it just blew me out of the water. I definitely don’t regret the decision I made.”

Williams never doubted his ability to play major college football. But he said he’s still thrilled that he soon will be playing on one of college football’s biggest stages, against some of the best players in the country — and, if he makes the most of his opportunities at Tennessee, perhaps auditioning for a future in the NFL. “I mean, it’s crazy because, a couple years from now, I didn’t really think I’d be in this position,” he said. “It only makes the journey more bittersweet that I had to work for everything that I got.

"When I went to Tennessee the first time, it just made me appreciate the bigger things more. I wasn’t used to the atmosphere and the college and all that stuff. It was a great experience for me. It definitely makes the journey bittersweet, because I had to work for everything that I got. Now it’s starting to pay off. “But, still, I’ve got to keep working. It’s far from over because I’ve still got a couple seasons ahead of me — and maybe, possibly the NFL if I do the right things. I’m just blessed.”

Probably covered in this thread but I’m too lazy to dig through 27 pages. Anyone know how/why he ended up at JUCO?

Read 247’s scouting report...... if this doesn’t get you amped then you ain’t got no pulse

Scouting Report
Evaluation

Massive defensive tackle with all the physical tools to be an immediate impact player. Big, strong and physical player with an NFL body right now. Moves around the line but projects as an interior space eater who can take on a double team and still get a push up the field. Shows violent hands and can beat an opposing lineman right off the snap with a quick first step or bull rush him right in to the quarterback. Shows good closing speed and has the ability to chase down a quarterback in the pocket. Can play on the edge as well and in a 3-4 scheme. Could see him lining up out wide and is athletic enough to beat a tackle and also contain the edge. Tremendous upside and projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and potential high round NFL draft pick.

VN Store

Back