Geno: Lady Vols are 'any other school now'

Historically, not just another school. At the moment, however, he is correct and that sure does sting. Hopefully, Harper will change that perception. Time will tell.
Agreed down right now but GA is one of the biggest douchebags out there. He is pompous prick if I have ever seen one. He is like Calipari in men’s basketball. Couple of real dicks

I did twice. I hate to admit I spent so much time on nonsense. So he said any other school, he could have left it alone with not the same as it used to be but he had to get a dig. So he gets what he deserves. If you want to hear about the flowers and such blooming out his @$$ then you will need to go back to the boneyard. He may be a good coach but that doesn't make him any less of a
I'll let everyone fill in what they want

Sad days. Bet Harper wants to beat him in a bad way!
G.A could've hyped the rivalry which would've been great for women's college ball. Maybe even said something good about Coach Harp.
Promotion go a long way to advancing a sport that's not at the forefront and lack a huge audience. It shows the lack of class and true consideration to a profession where he's a elite coach.
The school he's pissing on helped to make him what he is today in many ways.

It's the offseason, move on to what? Our best player leaving and going to our most hated rival? All the high level transfers saying thanks but no thanks to Tennessee?
Who else besides Stephanie Watts do you know we tried to get? I’ve not heard anything except forum suggestions.

G.A could've hyped the rivalry which would've been great for women's college ball. Maybe even said something good about Coach Harp.
Promotion go a long way to advancing a sport that's not at the forefront and lack a huge audience. It shows the lack of class and true consideration to a profession where he's a elite coach.
The school he's pissing on helped to make him what he is today in many ways.

We lost a good bit of credibility in the last few seasons...super talent with not so super results.
So now WAS the time to poke fun at us
I say, was.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that I could have gotten more out of those past few lineups that CHW did.
No doubt.
But Harper is a wildcard...she has gotten a lot out of her players and has finished stronger than she started with same.
I am intrigued to see what she expects out of these level-players....So should Geno be
If he isn't,
he is losing his touch

We lost a good bit of credibility in the last few seasons...super talent with not so super results.
I say, was.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that I could have gotten more out of those past few lineups that CHW did.
No doubt.
But Harper is a wildcard...she has gotten a lot out of her players and has finished stronger than she started with same.
I am intrigued to see what she expects out of these level-players....So should Geno be
If he isn't,
he is losing his touch
I don't understand your comment about Geno. What level players are you talking about?

I say, was.

No doubt.
If he isn't,
he is losing his touch

You may go down in history as the most brilliant basketball mind to never coach one day at the Division 1 level. What a pity!

The lead sentence in this article is highly misleading and is putting words and meaning into Gino's mouth. He never said he didn't see what the big deal was about Tenn. basketball anymore. This is a writer trying to stir up sh!t. What he said was he didn't understand what the big to do was about Uconn playing Tenn again. That is a big difference.

The first statement- which he never really said, implies an insult to the Vol. basketball program. That would imply that Tenn Vol basketball was history - they are not a big deal anymore etc. He was only referring to the Rivalry that used to exist between Uconn and Tenn. Most of that was because of the bad blood between Pat and him. Pat is no longer with us and it appeared that any animosity that existed had run it's course before she passed. If Pat were still alive the rivalry would certainly mean a lot more. The rivalry was as much about Pat and Gino as it was about Uconn and Tenn, their programs only being extensions of themselves.

How I read his statement is that he believes that people are trying to recreate a situation and circumstance that no longer exists. Neither Uconn nor Tenn are the dominant programs they were back when the rivalry existed. It has been three years since Uconn won a Natty and they are not favored next year rather just one of many who have a shot next year. For the last few years, the rivalry was between ND and Uconn and even that one will mean far less because ND and Uconn are both expected to have down years.

Put into the proper context his statement of " with all the teams we play and who we have played the last x number of years, it just doesn't seem the same. It is almost like they are any other school now. That statement has to be put into context. In context, it is not insulting to the Tenn vol program. He never said Tenn Vol basketball was not a big deal anymore. He said the rivalry was not a big deal anymore. Big difference.

This makes sense. There are just too many other good programs that will compete for the top position. Next year, for instance, the conscientious pick will be Oregon, with Baylor and Stanford and a lot of other programs right on their heels. Next year is the first year in memory with Uconn not considered as one of the favorites.

News people are just horrible in today's reality. The make a point of distorting context to create controversy. There was nothing negative or controversial about Gino's statement except via the spin that this writer put on it.

Last edited:
Why didn't he say all these when Holly was there? He was supporting Holly because he wanted us to keep losing.

Now look what he has gotten into,,,He accepted CHW as a foe and got KJH
It's perfect
both teams are at similar stages
Neither is projected to be a juggernaut.
I look forward to this series

Reactions: MAD
Yes, I know that. What I don’t know about s what level of players do you think Geno has where we will see what Geno can do with them.

I said: "I am intrigued to see what she expects out of these level-players. . . "

Not Geno's level of layers
Her own level of players
KJH has a level of athleticism and skill in her new team that she may not have coached yet.

That is the essence of basketball...It is a very easy game play but an impossibly hard one to be great at

As a skills coach I know that I teach every player pretty much the same things
It is my expectations of their performance and their level of proficiency that are the variables.

I teach a beginner athlete to do it until they can do it right
I teach an advanced athlete to do it until they can't do it wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Willtalk and MAD
Yes, I know that. What I don’t know about s what level of players do you think Geno has where we will see what Geno can do with them.

Dangerfield, Walker and Williams are all elite players. I believe Dangerfield is one of the best PGs in D1. Williams and Walker were both #1 ranked players. They played behind two seniors last year and I expect them to step up this year. Soph #5 ranked Nelson-Odada improved last year but still has a way to go. However, I believe that the UConn staff is as good as any when it comes to developing post players. After those 4 it gets a bit fuzzy. If Westbrook gets a waiver she will start and if she starts you will see her play to her potential. The only ranked recruit coming in is Aubrey Griffin currently ranked 21 on ESPN. Supposedly Auriemma is very high on her. He also has Evelyn Adebayo a transfer from Murray State. She averaged 18/11 last year. Polish guard Anna Makurat has also committed. I don't know anything about her but if Auriemma would go all the way to Poland to recruit her she must have something going.
I expect that UConn will be a final 4 team again this year. Possibly a NC contender if Westbrook plays.

Dangerfield, Walker and Williams are all elite players. I believe Dangerfield is one of the best PGs in D1. Williams and Walker were both #1 ranked players. They played behind two seniors last year and I expect them to step up this year. Soph #5 ranked Nelson-Odada improved last year but still has a way to go. However, I believe that the UConn staff is as good as any when it comes to developing post players. After those 4 it gets a bit fuzzy. If Westbrook gets a waiver she will start and if she starts you will see her play to her potential. The only ranked recruit coming in is Aubrey Griffin currently ranked 21 on ESPN. Supposedly Auriemma is very high on her. He also has Evelyn Adebayo a transfer from Murray State. She averaged 18/11 last year. Polish guard Anna Makurat has also committed. I don't know anything about her but if Auriemma would go all the way to Poland to recruit her she must have something going.
I expect that UConn will be a final 4 team again this year. Possibly a NC contender if Westbrook plays.
All you've done is give the names of UConn's players. I mean, we can look them up on the roster ourselves 🤷‍♂️

Your freshmen are freshmen...just like Tennessee's. Walker, Dangerfield, Williams and Yoko are good players, but not considered the best at their respective positions (maybe not even top 3). The Murray St. transfer is undersized and you're screwed if Yoko gets in foul trouble or gets injured.

I'd say UConn has as many, if not more, question marks as Tennessee going into next season, except Tennessee has more big bodies.

Would it have made you feel any better if he had said, "...any other school like Baylor, Stamford, Notre Dame, State, South Carolina..."
Do you want to be included in that list? Why do you assume he meant "The little sisters of mercy" Get a grip and stop with the paranoia. If you want to run with the big dogs act like it and stop the whining. Gheesh

Reactions: Creekdog

VN Store

Back