Lady Vols on WNBA opening day rosters

Amb3096

Chicago Sky - Diamond Deshields
Connecticut Sun - Shekinna Stricklen
Dallas Wings - Isabelle Harrison, Glory Johnson
Los Angeles Sparks - Candace Parker
Seattle Storm - Mercedes Russell

Jaime Nared cut from the Aces at the 11th hour. Once Las Vegas drafted Jackie Young, the writing was on the wall. She had the most WNBA potential of all Holly's players, but was done in by lack of coaching and player development while in college.

Great opportunity for both Isabelle and Mercedes to get some minutes this year and cement their spots in the league. Izzy really hasn't had the chance to shine yet, and Stewart's injury opens the door for Russell.

Last edited:
Connecticut Sun - Shekinna Stricklen
Dallas Wings - Isabelle Harrison, Glory Johnson
Los Angeles Sparks - Candace Parker
Seattle Storm - Mercedes Russell

Jaime Nared cut from the Aces at the 11th hour. Once Las Vegas drafted Jackie Young, the writing was on the wall. She had the most WNBA potential of all Holly's players, but was done in by lack of coaching and player development while in college.

Great opportunity for both Isabelle and Mercedes to get some minutes this year and cement their spots in the league. Izzy really hasn't had the chance to shine yet, and Stewart's injury opens the door for Russell.

Diamond excluded from this list for obvious reasons.

I saw Diamond on the list.

Diamond is a graduate of the University of Tennessee. Are you not including her because she didn’t use her extra year of eligibility? Candace chose to leave a year of eligibility on the table, too. I don’t understand why people are so hard on DeShields. :(

Mercedes improved. I watched few of her games.
Mercedes has a shot at stardom. With Breanna Steward out for the season. Looking forward to seeing if or not Cedes rise to the occasion. I'm hoping that she does!
Also Izzy & Glory are reunited. It'll be interesting.
Shekinna is so quiet with her game that I'm not sure on what to expect from her.
Wishing all WNBA Vols the best and a speedy recovery to Candace Parker.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Diamond should be on this list! She’s a LVFL regardless of how many try to strip her of that title! She is still a graduate of UT and if you follow her on social media she is always representing for the Lady Vols and UT as a whole!

I also think Jaime will land somewhere once injuries start to occur around the league as will MeMe because they would be inexpensive hires

Diamond should be on this list! She’s a LVFL regardless of how many try to strip her of that title! She is still a graduate of UT and if you follow her on social media she is always representing for the Lady Vols and UT as a whole!

I also think Jaime will land somewhere once injuries start to occur around the league as will MeMe because they would be inexpensive hires

I don't get this hatred of a Lady Vol. Damond left early; she had graduated (remind you of any other LV?); to the best of my knowledge she has never done or said anything negative about UT. Tree transferred and was still loved by Pat and all. Peggy Evans, I think, was basically shown the door; it was bye and no trashing of her, Michelle somebody transferred back to Ohio, and the girl who was MVP of the SECT her freshman year (had some kind of weird injury to her foot with a candle) transferred. No one went berserk. Lauren transferred; the girl with the boyfriend who held her captive transferred. No one went berserk. Now when the starting point guard of our #1 ranked team left in midseason to go to your favorite “snake”, stuff was said. I know I did and still do. That was the anomaly. I can even understand some of the stuff on Evina, not that she left, but the totally classless way she and her family acted after she left was very disappointing. She’s gone, probably for the best of all concerned, and a big so what. But this constant bashing of Lady Vols, recent and current, what is this? Is it Pat gone (it sure didn’t occur when Pat was at the helm!); is it a “lack of institutional control” under Holly...like Holly controls these “fans”, or is it just the ability to be a “tough” guy and/or troll in a nameless, faceless, safe environment?

Whatever anyone wants to say, Diamond played as a Lady Vol, graduated as a Lady Vol (despite bama dave’s best efforts to the contrary), and positively represents the Lady Vols.

And who is/isn’t a Lady Vol? Every girl currently on the roster is a Lady Vol and we should be encouraging and supporting her. Every player who has graduated is a Lady Vol. I’m not sure any player who has transferred can claim that title; IMO they can’t unless the transfer was due to injury (Amber Grey?).

Whatever, @mlindsay, I agree Diamond should be on the list!

Rant over🍊🏀🧡.

I love Diamond, and I love that Diamond-Gabby combo on the Sky. Not thrilled about Dolson, I feel like MTSU grad Cheyenne Parker has more productive minutes, but I digress.

Reactions: mlindsay and T.J.
I love Diamond, and I love that Diamond-Gabby combo on the Sky. Not thrilled about Dolson, I feel like MTSU grad Cheyenne Parker has more productive minutes, but I digress.

I like their combo also. I believe Parker should be starting over Gabby and that Gabby will be more productive backing up at the 3/4 spot.

Gabby off the bench playing with Katie Lou as the backup 2 and 3 for Chicago would be huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVsinceJV
I don't get this hatred of a Lady Vol. Damond left early; she had graduated (remind you of any other LV?); to the best of my knowledge she has never done or said anything negative about UT. Tree transferred and was still loved by Pat and all. Peggy Evans, I think, was basically shown the door; it was bye and no trashing of her, Michelle somebody transferred back to Ohio, and the girl who was MVP of the SECT her freshman year (had some kind of weird injury to her foot with a candle) transferred. No one went berserk. Lauren transferred; the girl with the boyfriend who held her captive transferred. No one went berserk. Now when the starting point guard of our #1 ranked team left in midseason to go to your favorite “snake”, stuff was said. I know I did and still do. That was the anomaly. I can even understand some of the stuff on Evina, not that she left, but the totally classless way she and her family acted after she left was very disappointing. She’s gone, probably for the best of all concerned, and a big so what. But this constant bashing of Lady Vols, recent and current, what is this? Is it Pat gone (it sure didn’t occur when Pat was at the helm!); is it a “lack of institutional control” under Holly...like Holly controls these “fans”, or is it just the ability to be a “tough” guy and/or troll in a nameless, faceless, safe environment?

Whatever anyone wants to say, Diamond played as a Lady Vol, graduated as a Lady Vol (despite bama dave’s best efforts to the contrary), and positively represents the Lady Vols.

And who is/isn’t a Lady Vol? Every girl currently on the roster is a Lady Vol and we should be encouraging and supporting her. Every player who has graduated is a Lady Vol. I’m not sure any player who has transferred can claim that title; IMO they can’t unless the transfer was due to injury (Amber Grey?).

Whatever, @mlindsay, I agree Diamond should be on the list!

Rant over🍊🏀🧡.

Well said! Thank you.

Diamond is a graduate of the University of Tennessee. Are you not including her because she didn’t use her extra year of eligibility? Candace chose to leave a year of eligibility on the table, too. I don’t understand why people are so hard on DeShields. :(
I like Diamond plenty. That should be clear from how much I defended her while she was at Tennessee (much like Evina). I left her off because it seems she's not considered a LVFL by most on this board and I didn't want to get into a pissing contest. Since it's gone the other way, I'll add her and ignore anyone B*tching about her not being a LVFL.

The Diamond-Gabby combo has it's benefits, but should be at the 2-3, not the 3-4. From what I saw last year, Gabby was getting abused at the 4. She can't defend any of them and can't score around or over them unless she's on the run.

I think the best lineup is:
PG - Sloot
SG - Allie
SF - Diamond
PF - Lavender
C - Dolson
Dolson and Lavender are slow, but they both have great mid-range games and out. Never impressed by Jantel's back to the basket game, but she's got a consistently good jumpshot. Dolson is a good enough defender and rebounder to anchor the middle.

Faulkner/Chloe subs in for Sloot, Diamond can sub in for Allie when they go big, Copper/Williams/Samuelson can sub at the wing, Ndour/Parker subs at the 4-5. They have a weird lineup because they have so many wings. Personally, I'd shop Williams around for a mobile, long and athletic 4 and slide Diamond over to SG and Samuelson to the wing once Allie hangs it up.
I like their combo also. I believe Parker should be starting over Gabby and that Gabby will be more productive starting at the 4 spot.

Gabby off the bench playing with Katie Lou as the backup 2 and 3 for Chicago would be huge.

Gabby needs to improve her shooting. Otherwise, her time in the league will be short. I'm shocked that she was #4 in her draft. Anriel Howard has most of her strengths but with a better jumpshot out to the arc, and she was a 2nd round pick.

Geno made Gabby look a lot better then she actually is, IMO. Same with Dolson. Will that be the case with Samuelson too?

Gabby needs to improve her shooting. Otherwise, her time in the league will be short. I'm shocked that she was #4 in her draft. Anriel Howard has most of her strengths but with a better jumpshot out to the arc, and she was a 2nd round pick.

Gabby has seemed to improve offensively, just looking at these first couple of preseason games (though the Sky couldn't close out against their equally-bad nemesis, the Fever). I could see her being a great replacement for a pure defensive player like Alana Beard once she retires.

Anriel, on the other hand, has been getting minutes but seems to be having lots of foul trouble and is missing all her shots. So I dunno!

I will say despite it becoming another UConn team (and despite the fact they keep losing), the Sky are a joy to watch and possibly my favorite team atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amb3096
Gabby has seemed to improve offensively, just looking at these first couple of preseason games (though the Sky couldn't close out against their equally-bad nemesis, the Fever). I could see her being a great replacement for a pure offensive player like Alana Beard once she retires.

Anriel, on the other hand, has been getting minutes but seems to be having lots of foul trouble and is missing all her shots. So I dunno!

I will say despite it becoming another UConn team (and despite the fact they keep losing), the Sky are a joy to watch and possibly my favorite team atm.

IIRC, Gabby had a ridiculously high FG% in college...like over 60%. She had a horrible preseason showing, and her FG% hovered right around 40% for most of her first year. She went 5-18 from the floor in 2 preseason games this season, so I don't think she's gotten over that hurdle. Anriel went 3-12, and she's a fresh rookie.

I do agree with you that the Sky are fun to watch, particularly the lineup of Sloot, Allie, Diamond, Gabby, and Stefanie. All 5 are great passers and really run the floor. But Gabby hurts them on offense and defense, which is strange to say considering she was a defensive genius in college and the offensive flow fell apart when she wasn't on the floor. If like to see her get better, but she's only getting older and once her ability to out jump everyone goes away, she won't have much left. Anriel has a similar problem, but I think she will make a better WNBA 2-3 before Gabby will. She is way better at creating her own shot.

IIRC, Gabby had a ridiculously high FG% in college...like over 60%. She had a horrible preseason showing, and her FG% hovered right around 40% for most of her first year. She went 5-18 from the floor in 2 preseason games this season, so I don't think she's gotten over that hurdle. Anriel went 3-12, and she's a fresh rookie.

I do agree with you that the Sky are fun to watch, particularly the lineup of Sloot, Allie, Diamond, Gabby, and Stefanie. All 5 are great passers and really run the floor. But Gabby hurts them on offense and defense, which is strange to say considering she was a defensive genius in college and the offensive flow fell apart when she wasn't on the floor. If like to see her get better, but she's only getting older and once her ability to out jump everyone goes away, she won't have much left. Anriel has a similar problem, but I think she will make a better WNBA 2-3 before Gabby will. She is way better at creating her own shot.

I'm seeing (at least in that first game, not so much the second one) Gabby taking more shots, trying and hitting threes. It seems she did work on that overseas, although with her it's always can she finish? So many feats of athleticism with her transition layups, and yet so few of them sink. She's still a fave of mine, but you're right about the weird mismatch issues that arise around her. She has such great floor vision and passing ability that it's a shame it's just not clicking. She lucked out being in that UConn "win all the time" era in which there wasn't competition until the inevitable final four loss.

I'm rooting for Anriel and all the MSST kids to succeed. McCowan has been underwhelming so far, but then again, she's not on the best team at the moment.

Predictions for bottom four teams (aka top draft picks next year)? Keeping in mind all the big name stars seem to be injured this year.

Reactions: Amb3096
I'm seeing (at least in that first game, not so much the second one) Gabby taking more shots, trying and hitting threes. It seems she did work on that overseas, although with her it's always can she finish? So many feats of athleticism with her transition layups, and yet so few of them sink. She's still a fave of mine, but you're right about the weird mismatch issues that arise around her. She has such great floor vision and passing ability that it's a shame it's just not clicking. She lucked out being in that UConn "win all the time" era in which there wasn't competition until the inevitable final four loss.

I'm rooting for Anriel and all the MSST kids to succeed. McCowan has been underwhelming so far, but then again, she's not on the best team at the moment.

Predictions for bottom four teams (aka top draft picks next year)? Keeping in mind all the big name stars seem to be injured this year.

The problem with Gabby is even if she develops an outside shot, she will never be as good of a wing as Diamond or even Katie Samuelson, and I don't see how she can make a living as a 4. And as good a passer as she is, so is Sloot, Diamond and in some ways, Stefanie. There isn't a single thing she does that someone else on the team doesn't do better, and she has a lot of holes in her game. I think her future in the league, if she stays, is as a backup wing. Not being able create off the dribble is handcuffing her.

Bottom four teams (starting with the worst):

New York
Dallas
Seattle
Minnesota or Indiana

Picking Washington to win, with Las Vegas a close second and Los Angeles a distant third.

Spoke too soon! McCowan with the buzzer beater, to give the Fever an 81-80 win over New York this afternoon. Congrats, rook!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back