East Tennessee Weather II

Thursday into Friday will be a more severe event and its looking like a wixe spread outbreak.

Update for Thursday:

As of now, based on the timing of the system, I’m not very concerned about the upcoming system. The main line will be in East Tennessee Late Thursday night to Early Friday morning. The instability looks weak, but there does appear to to be yet again good wind shear. Any storm that can reach severe levels will have damaging winds in excess of 60 mph as the main threat.

IF the timing changes and the system moves faster and hits us in the afternoon/early evening hours, then things could be bad. Hopefully, the current timing ends up being correct.

Reactions: WallyBalls
Looks like lenoir city south will be the main threat at this time. Looking at some models VK that low really develops over N.C. has a tropical storm look.

Reactions: WallyBalls
Until 1:45am EDT, Fri Apr 19

Action Recommended: Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued by: Knoxville/Tri-Cities - TN, US, National Weather Service,

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SOUTHEASTERN KNOX...BLOUNT AND SEVIER COUNTIES UNTIL 145 AM EDT... AT 105 AM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING A STRONG THUNDERSTORM 8 MILES SOUTH OF MARYVILLE, MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH. WINDS IN EXCESS OF 40 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM. LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... MARYVILLE, SEVIERVILLE, ALCOA, GATLINBURG, PIGEON FORGE, ROCKFORD, EAGLETON VILLAGE, PITTMAN CENTER, TOWNSEND, WALLAND, FAIRGARDEN, KIMBERLIN HEIGHTS, HAPPY VALLEY, WILDWOOD, MCMAHAN, WEARS VALLEY, CLOVER HILL, HARRISBURG, ROUNDTOP MOUNTAIN STATE PARK AND SEYMOUR. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TORRENTIAL RAINFALL IS ALSO OCCURRING WITH THIS STORM, AND MAY LEAD TO LOCALIZED FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS. &&

Anyone notice that TWC is phasing out our local weather entirely ? Now heavy trucks stuck in snow or wrecked are a staple.

On The Weather Channel HD channel, there is no local on the 8s. It just shows regional weather.
I'm on cable from Comcast. I have to assume it's their decision. They used to have a low-def channel (101) that broadcast our local weather 24/7, that disappeared. Comcast answered that they were phasing out all their low-def. Comcast HD had local weather for 2 minutes every 8 minutes, but it got more brief as time went on. Recently, it was only on at 18 and 48 minutes past the hour. That disappeared last week, but I hoped it was only because of all the severe weather, not because they thought we wouldn't notice, again. There used to be our local radar at the lower r/h corner all the time, it's gone. On the phone I get no acceptable answers from Comcast. Guess I should be happy I'm retired since my job required me to be outside 80% of the time. It's akin to the KNS now that is basically USAToday.

With the prevalence of smartphones weather apps and radar apps that update ever 5 minutes with Allisonhouse or other streams I would think there's not much of a need for the radar and weather reports continuously on the tv. I mean there's probably a small niche, but not enough to justify it financially. Dunno.

With the prevalence of smartphones weather apps and radar apps that update ever 5 minutes with Allisonhouse or other streams I would think there's not much of a need for the radar and weather reports continuously on the tv. I mean there's probably a small niche, but not enough to justify it financially. Dunno.
For some reason, "Local on the Eights" has reappeared at 18 and 48 past the hour. Maybe someone read my email. :)

Reactions: kayakonthefly
Alert!!!!

The National Weather Service in Morristown has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Northwestern Blount County in east Tennessee...

* Until 630 PM EDT.

* At 551 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Maryville,
moving northeast at 5 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage
to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Maryville, Alcoa, Louisville, Rockford, Eagleton Village and Clover
Hill.

Alert!

SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SOUTH CENTRAL KNOX AND NORTH
CENTRAL BLOUNT COUNTIES UNTIL 700 PM EDT...

At 613 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over
Alcoa, moving north at 15 mph.

Nickel size hail and winds in excess of 40 mph will be possible with
this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Knoxville, Alcoa, Louisville, Rockford, Lake Forest and Bearden.

Alert!!!

The National Weather Service in Morristown has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Southeastern Knox County in east Tennessee...
Northwestern Sevier County in east Tennessee...

* Until 715 PM EDT.

* At 633 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located 9 miles east of
Rockford, or 10 miles west of Sevierville, moving north at 5 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage
to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Knoxville, Sevierville, Strawberry Plains, McMahan, Lake Forest,
Mascot, Seymour, Kodak and Kimberlin Heights.

VN Store

Back