Opposing coach puts Jeremy Pruitt's Tennessee rebuild into perspective: 'It's going to take five years to get it done'

Opposing coaches comments, especially like this, are ********. No profession spins their case more than coaches.
Example Kid they miss on: Hes overrated
Kid they get: He’ll be all conference in two yrs.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My guess is that tens of thousands of Vols fans have been demanding it for the last decade....
Exactly, we had administrators that could have given a rats bedonkadonk about excellence in our sports programs. As long as the money came in they were good. Were we to have been winning, that byproduct would have occurred purely by luck or accident. I believe we have an administration in place now especially in the UTAD that is committed and understanding how critical winning is, time will tell if they can pull it off. We're not Tulane yet, but we were going there and thankfully got that turned around IMO.

Yes, demanding excellence is the only way to get there.

In fantasy land it’s tge only way. In reality, we fans have little influence over what happens. We can pretend we do to make ourself eel better but that’s it.

You can demand excellence until the cows come home. But we all know the powers that be at UT don’t care what we think. The only chance we really have is too hope that whatever coach we have is the one. There are no sure fire certainties in finding a head coach.

In fantasy land it’s tge only way. In reality, we fans have little influence over what happens. We can pretend we do to make ourself eel better but that’s it.

You can demand excellence until the cows come home. But we all know the powers that be at UT don’t care what we think. The only chance we really have is too hope that whatever coach we have is the one. There are no sure fire certainties in finding a head coach.
No. But there you can be certain when getting rid of a coach who isn't getting it done.

Fans influence. There were fairly open secrets concerning some in the UTAD wanting to keep Dooley- fan sentiment didn't allow it. Schiano is not the UT HC specifically because fans went nuts.

Last edited:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...g-coach-lindys-2019-college-football-preview/

Here are the anonymous comments regarding Tennessee from the latest 2019 Lindy’s Sports Southeastern Conference football preview magazine:

On the future of the program:
“Tennessee needs a talent upgrade. … It’s going to take five years to get it done. I think Jeremy Pruitt will get it done because he’s a good enough coach and recruiter to get it done. But it will take that long. The reason is, there’s other people in the league already getting it done. And they have no margin for error because they play Alabama, Georgia and Florida every year.”​

On last season’s finish:
“The question is, why did they finish so poorly last year? They played like crap down the stretch against Missouri and Vanderbilt. They’ve lost three in a row to Vanderbilt — that’s unacceptable.”​

On the hire of Jim Chaney:

“Jeremy lucked out getting rid of Tyson Helton and hiring Jim Chaney. I think he’s the best, most proven offensive coordinator in the league. I think Jim is outstanding. If Jeremy will leave him alone, Jim will be fine.”​

Who does this sound like? I say Stoops

Don't care about who said it. Point is if it takes 5 years? We hired another coach for now, and we can look forward to another search at the end of it. Jones got 9 wins in year 3. Pruitt should get them to 8 wins in 2 if he is "good enough". And losing to Vanderbilt once is unacceptable.

Reactions: Rooster1 and hog88

Without the fans pressuring the administration or really the politicians/power brokers there is no accountability.

Reactions: sjt18
I remember when UT fired Wade Houston and Rick Pitino said something along the lines of “Wade was doing a really nice job too.”

They hired Wade for one reason; Allan. Better to mention all the opposing coaches complimenting Holly if you are gonna argue a football point with a non football reference.

Unfortunately, we're not a patient bunch, but then we did make it through the last 4 coaches, so what's one more run at it. I had high hopes for the others but no way can we be worse off than before.

The high hopes dropped sharply with dumb world war II stories, and individuals.

Exactly, we had administrators that could have given a rats bedonkadonk about excellence in our sports programs. As long as the money came in they were good. Were we to have been winning, that byproduct would have occurred purely by luck or accident. I believe we have an administration in place now especially in the UTAD that is committed and understanding how critical winning is, time will tell if they can pull it off. We're not Tulane yet, but we were going there and thankfully got that turned around IMO.

That a fact, or opinion?

They hired Wade for one reason; Allan. Better to mention all the opposing coaches complimenting Holly if you are gonna argue a football point with a non football reference.

Even Saban said Dooley was a good coach.

No. But there you can be certain when getting rid of a coach who isn't getting it done.

Fans influence. There were fairly open secrets concerning some in the UTAD wanting to keep Dooley- fan sentiment didn't allow it. Schiano is not the UT HC specifically because fans went nuts.

I do agree somewhat but I believe the situation that transpired with Schiano was a one time thing. I mean what does demanding excellence and having high expectations as a fan really mean? Other than making one feel better in the confines of their home? Do you think if people went to Fulmer or those above him and demanded things that anything would get done? No it wouldn’t.

At the end of the day, there is going to be a 3/4 empty Neyland stadium. 70-85k fans aren’t just gonna stop showing up. Haslam still has his hands in the pie. Most of the same morons that have been there for the last decade are still there. So you can pretend like demanding this or that or we should have high expectations actually works. But you are deluding yourself.

I expect 7-8 wins this year. No 25+ point blowouts and a curb stomping of Vandy. I'm not unreasonable.
That actually sounds quite nice and reasonable, especially the curb stomping of Vandy part. Some of my worst games while in the band involved Vandy to some degree. We always creamed them, but the conditions were usually awful.

Butch made it 5 years but Pruitt won't? Pruitt was Fulmer's guy, he will get a fair chance... and yes, he will get 5 years.

My biggest fear is that since he is Fulmer's guy he'll get more time than he deserves. Their fates are intertwined.

VN Store

Back