Opposing coach puts Jeremy Pruitt's Tennessee rebuild into perspective: 'It's going to take five years to get it done'

Dabo's first three years at Clemson:

Win - Loss
2008 mid season 4 -3
2009 full season 9 - 5
2010 full season 6 - 7

2008 247 rank 9th
2009 247 rank 36th
2010 247 rank 27th
2011 247 rank 10th

So they jump to 10th after a 6-7 season and have had a steady assent ever since. Confusing why everyone thinks it's going to take consistent winning seasons to get the top recruits.

To add to this, didn't "pulling a Clemson" used to be a thing? Seems like I recall them getting boat raced several times during Dabo's tenure, before this rather remarkable run. There was a time not so terribly long ago where there were rumblings about Dabo being fired. Patience, stability... those are good things.

What I want to see is a well-coached team, and we saw that at times last year. Yes, Butch Jones' record improved the first few years, but in retrospect it seems that was more about players (Dobbs, Barnett mostly often times) making chicken salad out of chicken s**t. The only year under Jones I thought the team looked pretty well coached was the first year Debord was the OC. I was encouraged by a tougher, more aggressive running attack. But it didn't last.

I think 9-10 wins a season will be the best that Coach Pruitt will do at Tennessee until 2023 and it will be hard to leap over Georgia and Florida.

2019 8-4 or 9-3
2020 9-3
2021 9-3 or 10-2
2022 9-3 or 10-2
2023 9-3 or 10-2

Then he's not the guy if it takes him that long.

I would be happy with 9-10 wins a season. I don't think a sane athletic director fires a head football coach who wins 9-10 games a season.

I want hardware, SEC and National Championships. Now I do know that is unreasonable expectations year in and year out but I don't want a Mark Richt where 9-10 wins an an occasional SECCG is his ceiling either.

To add to this, didn't "pulling a Clemson" used to be a thing? Seems like I recall them getting boat raced several times during Dabo's tenure, before this rather remarkable run. There was a time not so terribly long ago where there were rumblings about Dabo being fired. Patience, stability... those are good things.

What I want to see is a well-coached team, and we saw that at times last year. Yes, Butch Jones' record improved the first few years, but in retrospect it seems that was more about players (Dobbs, Barnett mostly often times) making chicken salad out of chicken s**t. The only year under Jones I thought the team looked pretty well coached was the first year Debord was the OC. I was encouraged by a tougher, more aggressive running attack. But it didn't last.

Agreed 100%. Good post!

I agree with this coach.

It shouldn't take 5 years to produce a good team.

Unfortunetly, if you want to compete at the top of this conference, you need one of the best teams in the country, not just a good team.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I agree with this coach.

It shouldn't take 5 years to produce a good team.

Unfortunetly, if you want to compete at the top of this conference, you need one of the best teams in the country, not just a good team.

I don’t know if we can get to the top of the SEC. Even when Saban leaves, Kirby is proving he belongs with the best. Jimbo is gonna get TAMU back. LSU is always gonna be good. UF is ahead of us.

The ACC is easier than the SEC
It was last year, although the several previous years prior it wasn’t. Ebbs and flows imo, although as we see Florida and LSU’s ascendency, and Georgia’s steady excellence almost on par with Alabama the last couple of years, the depth of the SEC of very good teams seems to have eclipsed the ACC right now.

Some of us don’t accept mediocrity as easily as you do.

Right. That’s convenient cop out. It’s got nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. It’s more about understanding that no two coaching situations are remotely the same. And trying to use the thinking that oh if a coach doesn’t get in done by a certain time then he isn’t the one is silly.

Right. That’s convenient cop out. It’s got nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. It’s more about understanding that no two coaching situations are remotely the same. And trying to use the thinking that oh if a coach doesn’t get in done by a certain time then he isn’t the one is silly.

There is a certain time limit on all coaches. Schools that accept mediocrity allow longer periods of time than those that do not.

I don’t know if we can get to the top of the SEC. Even when Saban leaves, Kirby is proving he belongs with the best. Jimbo is gonna get TAMU back. LSU is always gonna be good. UF is ahead of us.

I was pondering this last night.

It takes a certain amount of effort and skill to raise a program from 5 wins per season to 8.

It probably takes just as much effort and as much skill again to get a program from 8 to 10. The slope is getting steeper.

Same amount of effort and another doubling of skill to get from 10 to 11 and competing year in and year out for championships. The competition is fierce at the pointy end of the conference.

So any good coach can get us back to the 8-win level. A great one can get us back to 10-win seasons. Only a truly exceptional one will have us averaging 11+ wins a year, and frequent championships.

This isn't rocket science, so those numbers aren't precise. It's just the general idea I'm proposing for consideration.

We've only ever had one exceptional head coach: the General. Have had a few great ones, particularly Fulmer and Dickey, probably Majors as well. Maybe one or two of the shorter-tenure fellas who filled in for Neyland while he was soldiering.

I'm hoping we have in CJP one who is, at least, great.

Go Vols!

year two is the big bump - going from 5 wins to 7 !!

better drop Oklahoma soon or they'll beat us like a rented mule, maybe

love these threads

Exactly. No coach is going to talk smack about another coach. They know good and well in this profession they could be working with/for that other coach any given year.

Spurrier was the exception of course.

That's why you can never be satisfied with a coach that isn't on the right trajectory to get UT to the top. It isn't "fair". It is cold hearted. But the alternative is an acceptance of mediocrity and failure.

Dude he just signed the 12th ranked class with a 5-7 record...not to mention 3 5 star players and the top Two offensive tackles in their class. That right there shoes me he infact can recruit. Get a grip it's not even the summer yet. There is 8 months to NSD. This team will improve this year. You can't really judge Pruitt's first year solely based off of most of the roster was Butch Jones players who he recruited and lacked a real strength and conditioning staff for roughly two years.

Fulmer could recruit.... Dooley could recruit...... Jones could recruit.... Look at were we are now with all of those (great) recruiters.

Exactly. No coach is going to talk smack about another coach. They know good and well in this profession they could be working with/for that other coach any given year.

Spurrier was the exception of course.
I very much disagree with this. They compete head to head all the time, not just on the field, but in recruiting 12 months of the year. While a few of the coaches are old friends, there are plenty of lying sneaks, especially when they are invited to do it anonymously.

VN Store

Back