Give me your hottest takes in life

When I was poor all I wanted was money. I learned about want vs. need when I was poor.

As soon as I had the wealth to do whatever I wanted, somehow the wants weren't as exciting and sexy, and had a problem spending money on "things". The value and desires were somehow less now that I could have anything.

I enjoy that my money means my family won't have to worry for generations, and my closest friends (4) will never have to worry too much as I helped them pay off mortgages and cars and put money aside for their children to go to school freeingup for them to save. This was the meaning of wealth, and it didn't really include my desires, which diminished, but, rather what it meant to those around me and my community.

I'm tighter with my money now, more than when I was young and dumb and had but a penny to my name.
I think you need more friends. Hi, my name is Eric.

Reactions: tennvols77
Guys, less humble bragging/wistful philosophizing and more hot takes please.

People who clip their nails at work should be charged as terrorists.

Not trying to brag, but, very proud of it. Sorry, conversation was a byproduct of first post and reply to a post.

Carry on, hot take:

DancingOutlaw wistfully philosophized me and hates women and metrosexual men "working".. :)

Reactions: VolFaninFla
AC/DC is a terrible band.
They aren't terrible, but they are pretty overrated.

Most overrated bands of all time:
1. Jimmy Buffett (some will take issue with this, saying he isn't supposed to be taken all that seriously as a musician and it's more about his "vibe," but I still put him here)
2. The Beach Boys
3. The Eagles
4. Bob Dylan
5. The Grateful Dead

Guys, less humble bragging/wistful philosophizing and more hot takes please.

People who clip their nails at work should be charged as terrorists.

you want a hot take? Peyton Manning's NFL status will fall as more and more QBs eclipse his accomplishments. He may not even be top 10 all time in other 10 years.

you want a hot take? Peyton Manning's NFL status will fall as more and more QBs eclipse his accomplishments. He may not even be top 10 all time in other 10 years.

giphy.gif

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I thought about posting a PM one but didn’t want to risk permaban. I assume he has admin for life powers here.

Farewell McDad, and Godspeed.

An old fashioned is not a good drink. Stop pretending you like it. It’s ok to think it sucks. It was invented when slavery was legal so it can’t be that great.

Reactions: franklinpence

You’re dead to me.

In general, a human being reaches their highest level of clarity at around 10 to 11 years of age.....then they hit puberty and it all falls down.

Reactions: Devo182
This is an accurate but painful hot take because much of Peyton's legacy is wrapped up in his statistics. The game becomes more QB/offensive-oriented by the year, and those will get surpassed.

It's easy to forget now, especially for Peyton fans, but for his entire college career and the first half of his NFL career he was known as something of a choke artist. A great QB who couldn't win a big game, or at least whose level of play dropped considerably in big games. Even with the two SBs, he lost his two other shots at it and was below .500 in the playoffs overall (12-13). His record in those areas will always be contrasted with Brady's, who has excelled in SBs and playoff games.

As far as his legacy is concerned, it is the volume of his counting stats you have to fall back on, not the big games he won. And if he falls further and further down those statistical lists, well...

Sucks, but it is true.

Reactions: McDad

Maybe, but his single season passing record has stood since '13 and nobody name not named Brees or Brady is within 350yds. The TD record is from the same year and nobody's come within 5.

Mahomes looks pretty special but the truth is there's going to have to be a LOT of people stepping way up to put Manning outside the top 10.

Maybe, but his single season passing record has stood since '13 and nobody name not named Brees or Brady is within 350yds. The TD record is from the same year and nobody's come within 5.

Mahomes looks pretty special but the truth is there's going to have to be a LOT of people stepping way up to put Manning outside the top 10.
In the grand scheme of things, 2013 was only 5 seasons ago and is just not a very long time. Take a look at the single-season passing record list as it sits today (NFL Passing Yards Single-Season Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com). There were 2 new entries into the top 10 of that list just last season. There are only 2 records in the top 25 of that list from outside the 2010s...Marino (9th) and Fouts (24th). All of the records currently in the top 10 were set within the last decade. That trend is just going to continue given how the game is played and officiated.

The single-season TD mark will be harder to break, as there are some "older" entries still in the top 10. But that one will go too eventually (NFL Passing Touchdowns Single-Season Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com)

In the grand scheme of things, 2013 was only 5 seasons ago and is just not a very long time. Take a look at the single-season passing record list as it sits today (NFL Passing Yards Single-Season Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com). There were 2 new entries into the top 10 of that list just last season. There are only 2 records in the top 25 of that list from outside the 2010s...Marino (9th) and Fouts (24th). All of the records currently in the top 10 were set within the last decade. That trend is just going to continue given how the game is played and officiated.

The single-season TD mark will be harder to break, as there are some "older" entries still in the top 10. But that one will go too eventually (NFL Passing Touchdowns Single-Season Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com)

The only new face anywhere on the yardage list is Mahomes. The entire 5K club is Manning, Brees, Brady, Roethlisburger and Stafford. In fact going down to #20 you only add Matt Ryan, Eli and Kirk Cousins. (leaving Marino and Romo off since obviously they're done)

I'm not saying what can't be done but nearly 5500yds, 55tds and 72k passing are all very high marks, particularly if all they need to do is remain in the top 10.

The only new face anywhere on the yardage list is Mahomes. The entire 5K club is Manning, Brees, Brady, Roethlisburger and Stafford. In fact going down to #20 you only add Matt Ryan, Eli and Kirk Cousins. (leaving Marino and Romo off since obviously they're done)

I'm not saying what can't be done but nearly 5500yds, 55tds and 72k passing are all very high marks, particularly if all they need to do is remain in the top 10.
You're taking a short-sighted view of this - there are going to be other new faces that come on the scene besides Mahomes, and they are going to be coming into a league that loves offense (particularly passing offense) and wants to make it as easy as possible to rack up lots of yards and points. I'm not talking about just the next 5 years...I mean more like the next 20+.

Brees has already passed Manning for most passing yards all time, and Brady will pass him this year (only needs 1,426 more). Brees and Brady are going to pass him on career TDs this year (Brees needs 19, Brady 22). Peyton "only" has the 7th best passer rating all-time - even Tony Romo's is slightly better. (As an aside - you want to talk about leaving victories on the table - look at Aaron Rodgers's passer rating next to #2. He has a passer rating nearly 3 points better than the next closest player, it's 5.4 points better than Brees's, and 5.5 better than Brady's. That's astonishing compared to what he's won relative to those guys).

Peyton absolutely risks becoming one of many QBs with a mountain of counting stats as time goes on, rather than being something like a top 2/3 QB of all time. If Stafford plays 10 more years, even he'd put Peyton's career passing total at risk, and he's nowhere near the QB Peyton was. It's just the nature of the modern game. He's already been surpassed in many of the career stats, and IMO it's only a matter of time before the single-season stats fall.

The flaw in Peyton's legacy is that it is built on stats, not signature wins in big games. Football is not baseball. Baseball is the sport where legacies are built on stats, not football. Nobody holds it against Ted Williams, for example, that he never won a World Series.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolFaninFla

VN Store

Back