KNS article on Kellie's planned offense

Kellie thinks TN needs more variety with players. She plans to 1. Get the ball on transition 2. Get in the lane (using the team’s length and athleticism) 3. She wants to use a motion offense

On defense she plans to use their athleticism to press and trap more.

I think she was being very PC when addressing the make up of team’s roster. She wants people who are known for certain things like shooters, she wants people who she can recruit to defend, and versatile basketball players. I have often thought TN has gotten the same type of players for a couple of years now. Hayes was exciting because she was a different type of PG we had in awhile. I think Jordan is a different type of PG because her handles are that much better than the PGs we have had in awhile (yes she can improve and will hopefully).

Overall I think fresh eyes have provided a fresh view I hope we can get top level athletes. Maybe it will take a class of mid level athletes then bounce back.

Kellie thinks TN needs more variety with players. She plans to 1. Get the ball on transition 2. Get in the lane (using the team’s length and athleticism) 3. She wants to use a motion offense

On defense she plans to use their athleticism to press and trap more.

I think she was being very PC when addressing the make up of team’s roster. She wants people who are known for certain things like shooters, she wants people who she can recruit to defend, and versatile basketball players. I have often thought TN has gotten the same type of players for a couple of years now. Hayes was exciting because she was a different type of PG we had in awhile. I think Jordan is a different type of PG because her handles are that much better than the PGs we have had in awhile (yes she can improve and will hopefully).

Overall I think fresh eyes have provided a fresh view I hope we can get top level athletes. Maybe it will take a class of mid level athletes then bounce back.
I'm looking forward to the LadyVols using a very different offense during the 2019-2020 season

I think she was being very PC when addressing the make up of team’s roster. She wants people who are known for certain things like shooters, she wants people who she can recruit to defend, and versatile basketball players. I have often thought TN has gotten the same type of players for a couple of years now.

Tennessee has recruited big and athletic players with underdeveloped basketball skills for far too long. That needs to end. They need high basketball IQ players and guards who can shoot/drive/dribble/pass, and bigs that can consistently score under the basket.

I encourage EVERY Lady Vol fan to read the article. I literally almost cried. Just reading her talk about basketball is such a departure from what we’ve grown accustomed to. It’s refreshing!

My favorite parts where when she said she’ll use a motion offense with some set plays so she can “rein them in” when she needs to. Finally, a coach comfortable being in control. She’s also carefully watched the teams who win titles and wants versatile players so the Vols can be a team of the future. I love our coach!

P.S. She’s quite fond of shooters!

For most of this article I could see Pat hanging over to scene with a her grim smile. Defense, rebounding, hammer the ball inside,,,, PAT. Now the free flow, individualism on offense, well that may be where the "Kellie approach" veers from the gospel of Pat. I feel this is a modern update on "Pat Basketball". I just hope we can come up with some really good outside shooters. Seems to me they are a must this day and time.

Tennessee has recruited big and athletic players with underdeveloped basketball skills for far too long. That needs to end. They need high basketball IQ players and guards who can shoot/drive/dribble/pass, and bigs that can consistently score under the basket.

Agreed! This is why I think Horston is different the way she sees the floor, the way she gets her teammates involved, all of it. I don’t just look at her High school team which has some ballers or AAU but I watched her on the USA teams and she just made people better. When she needed to score she did, she would go over a teammate to ensure a rebound and she of course got the ball to her teammates. Her USA coaches said she played whatever position was asked and adjusted. Her IQ seems high which is why I think Geno wanted to get his hands on her.

Evina is going to be a good player and we would be better with her but she wasn’t our answer at PG. I honestly think we now need a small PG like Sara Andrews or Deja Kelly to knife through the defense and break them down.

I also think Madison Hayes could be that slasher who get to the rim at will and a monster on defense. Kellies teams at Missouri state moved on offense and they took advantages of mismatches. The 4-5 games I saw even when their shots weren’t falling they did not stand around.

Agreed! This is why I think Horston is different the way she sees the floor, the way she gets her teammates involved, all of it. I don’t just look at her High school team which has some ballers or AAU but I watched her on the USA teams and she just made people better. When she needed to score she did, she would go over a teammate to ensure a rebound and she of course got the ball to her teammates. Her USA coaches said she played whatever position was asked and adjusted. Her IQ seems high which is why I think Geno wanted to get his hands on her.

Evina is going to be a good player and we would be better with her but she wasn’t our answer at PG. I honestly think we now need a small PG like Sara Andrews or Deja Kelly to knife through the defense and break them down.

I also think Madison Hayes could be that slasher who get to the rim at will and a monster on defense. Kellies teams at Missouri state moved on offense and they took advantages of mismatches. The 4-5 games I saw even when their shots weren’t falling they did not stand around.

Sarah Andrews( friend of Zaay ) might be a good answer that would allow Jordon , Zaay , Jaz to do their thing as the off guards ? This would continue our getting a top ten guard for the fourth year in a row . And losing Davis..... ( 2021) we also need the next wing player ... maybe Angel Reese ! Rae Burrell will help but need another star ! JMO Since Parrish is out ,,, and Treasure maybe going elsewhere?? Thinking about 2020 for now .
Is 2021 too late ? Looking for Amani Bartlett who has already committed.... Or little sister Teonni Key?

Sarah Andrews( friend of Zaay ) might be a good answer that would allow Jordon , Zaay , Jaz to do their thing as the off guards ? This would continue our getting a top ten guard for the fourth year in a row . And losing Davis..... ( 2021) we also need the next wing player ... maybe Angel Reese ! Rae Burrell will help but need another star ! JMO Since Parrish is out ,,, and Treasure maybe going elsewhere?? Thinking about 2020 for now .
Is 2021 too late ? Looking for Amani Bartlett who has already committed.... Or little sister Teonni Key?

I agree ... Jordan is gonna average 5/6 assists wherever she plays because she is a play maker. I would love to get Angel Reese and Treasure both then Key the year after Kellie wants versatility and they would provide that and depth at a lot of positions!

Reactions: PRG
I like the sounds of what the new offense is going to look like.....Proper player and ball movement, with a purpose, should help the Lady Vols become relevant again...

Slicing to the basket, which always drives a defenses a little nuts, is vital...Mix in some accurate 3 point shooting, and Lady Vol basketball will become fun to watch again...

That explanation does nor really square with the reality- Mercedes's, post surgical correction, was a very skilled player but the rap on her was that she was not physical enough. Same theme for Jamie Nared. MIddleton was a skilled player but a lack of defensive quickness (which she greatly improved upon) limited her minutes as a freshman. Evina could certainly do all those things (shoot, dribble, drive) but a lot of her turnovers had to do with the LVs stagnant half-court offense. She did force passes at times which were not necessary but a good % of her turnovers had to do with the offensive scheme (or lack thereof).

Diamond had all the skills.

Zaay has great basketball skills. The list goes on. I will agree that there is a lack of outside shooting consistency that has plagued the LVs for the last few seasons. That one is harder to explain, except these players were not getting enough reps or something.

I agree ... Jordan is gonna average 5/6 assists wherever she plays because she is a play maker. I would love to get Angel Reese and Treasure both then Key the year after Kellie wants versatility and they would provide that and depth at a lot of positions!

Treasure Hunt..... Hamilton Heights coach Hunt and Holly were supposed friendships might have brought her here??? But now .... I don’t think so? JMO
Reese is a Texas lady that Baylor and Texas has a good hold on their in-state recruits. Both of these ladies were on UT’s radar but when Holly was the head coach ! Now with this new group of coaches ..... I am wondering if I need to throw my old notes of recruits away ?

Teonni ( Key’s little sister ) is 6’3” and growing! Plus she was playing GUARD with sis last year! Just Saying!

Reactions: Only1COJ
That explanation does nor really square with the reality- Mercedes's, post surgical correction, was a very skilled player but the rap on her was that she was not physical enough. Same theme for Jamie Nared. MIddleton was a skilled player but a lack of defensive quickness (which she greatly improved upon) limited her minutes as a freshman. Evina could certainly do all those things (shoot, dribble, drive) but a lot of her turnovers had to do with the LVs stagnant half-court offense. She did force passes at times which were not necessary but a good % of her turnovers had to do with the offensive scheme (or lack thereof).

Diamond had all the skills.

Zaay has great basketball skills. The list goes on. I will agree that there is a lack of outside shooting consistency that has plagued the LVs for the last few seasons. That one is harder to explain, except these players were not getting enough reps or something.

My assessment of the post play needs to be updated. Cheridene was probably the only one in recent memories who couldn't consistently make layups. But I don't think I'm off on my assessment of the guards. Yes, Middleton was plagued by lack of athleticism, but others either lacked basketball skills (Jordan Reynolds, Andraya Carter, Jasmine Jones, Rae Burrell, Jazmine Massengill, Anastasia Hayes) or had bad basketball IQ (Diamond, Evina, Te'a Cooper). That combined with coaching who was unable to get them to play smarter, teach them fundamentals, or mask their weaknesses made for a team full of under-developed players.

[VIDEO=][VIDEO=][VIDEO=][VIDEO=][/VIDEO][/VIDEO][/VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I was amazed at her passing ability. Honestly the best I’ve seen at her level.

Treasure Hunt..... Hamilton Heights coach Hunt and Holly were supposed friendships might have brought her here??? But now .... I don’t think so? JMO
Reese is a Texas lady that Baylor and Texas has a good hold on their in-state recruits. Both of these ladies were on UT’s radar but when Holly was the head coach ! Now with this new group of coaches ..... I am wondering if I need to throw my old notes of recruits away ?

Teonni ( Key’s little sister ) is 6’3” and growing! Plus she was playing GUARD with sis last year! Just Saying!
Reese is from Baltimore, MD not Texas. She is being heavily recruited by Maryland and UConn, we were once on her trail but Idk if that has cooled off or not. I know Horston and her mom have formed a good relationship with Reese and I think if granted a home visit our chances of landing her could increase significantly. She is the one I think is a must for 2020. With that being said I want who wants to be a lady vol and who will give this program all it has.

Angel Reese lives in MD... is she originally from Texas ?

Reese is from Baltimore, MD not Texas. She is being heavily recruited by Maryland and UConn, we were once on her trail but Idk if that has cooled off or not. I know Horston and her mom have formed a good relationship with Reese and I think if granted a home visit our chances of landing her could increase significantly. She is the one I think is a must for 2020. With that being said I want who wants to be a lady vol and who will give this program all it has.

I know UConn didn’t make her original top 10 but now looks like they have made a move. I agree her relationships with some of the players who we now have may help our chances.

Sorry for the miss-quote... I got her between Andrews and Gusters who are from Texas. My bad.
Hope you are right about a chance.... we do need another good wing!

Sorry for the miss-quote... I got her between Andrews and Gusters who are from Texas. My bad.
Hope you are right about a chance.... we do need another good wing

VN Store

Back