Tennessee Softball

Out of curiosity checked the National team coaches which unless something strange happens will be the coaches into the Olympics. USF coach is the head coach. Interesting the hitting coach is LSU's hitting coach who did that at OU for a number of years. Good staff choice for LSU. No direct ties to Florida so Barnhill will have to earn her way on. Monica and Cat Osterman are listed for this year. Callie Turner is on the
2019 U-19 Junior Women's National Training Team.

Out of curiosity checked the National team coaches which unless something strange happens will be the coaches into the Olympics. USF coach is the head coach. Interesting the hitting coach is LSU's hitting coach who did that at OU for a number of years. Good staff choice for LSU. No direct ties to Florida so Barnhill will have to earn her way on. Monica and Cat Osterman are listed for this year. Callie Turner is on the
2019 U-19 Junior Women's National Training Team.
Would love to have a good male hitting coach to catch up with other top programs saw the light before we even new the light was not a train!

Copied and pasted from the WBSC official rules for 2018-2021. Check (F) and (H). You can drag or leap. You can't re-plant and push off a 2nd time. It's been the men's rule for a long time. It will be the rule everywhere eventually.

View attachment 205311

Leaping definitely used to be called. I remember it being called in the World Cup of Softball years ago (when I used to watch, lol).

But that's good to know that we won't have to worry about it with Monica (or Cat should she be on the team).

Don't worry kreg, we'll slap hit em into submission....
Of course, the rise ball of the crow hopper may make that a little difficult, but our coaches will try it anyway.

Reactions: kregman
Leaping definitely used to be called. I remember it being called in the World Cup of Softball years ago (when I used to watch, lol).

But that's good to know that we won't have to worry about it with Monica (or Cat should she be on the team).

Also, in professional and international fastpitch you no longer have to start with both feet on the rubber. You still must have your pivot foot on the rubber but your stride leg can be back off the rubber. I've never understood why they made a pitcher start with both feet touching the rubber. It's awkward and harder to keep your balance with your feet that close together. Most pitchers prefer the natural feeling of stepping into the pitch. You still must have both feet within the width of the rubber and still must land in the 24" lane with your stride leg. That rule should go away also, in my opinion.

Just goes to show what some officials think is illegal or not...watch this! This is a good pitch!

Just goes to show what some officials think is illegal or not...watch this! This is a good pitch!

If you watch that starting about 1:20 you can run/pause and see the umpire raises his hand for the illegal pitch while she's still in her backswing. She hasn't stepped or thrown the ball yet so it wasn't about the pivot foot not dragging. They don't show the entire sequence. It must have either been that her non pivot foot wasn't on the rubber (you can't tell from that view) or she didn't keep her hands separated for a full 2 seconds after she was in position to get the sign (they don't show it for long enough to tell). Or he may have just screwed up.

From what I saw, her back foot never left the ground....There had to be something else.

The crow hopper would not fare to well against that crew...I still don't know why all of the SEC coaches let the crow hopper "bend them over" and drive their illegal pitching home without complaining...

From what I saw, her back foot never left the ground....There had to be something else.

The crow hopper would not fare to well against that crew...I still don't know why all of the SEC coaches let the crow hopper "bend them over" and drive their illegal pitching home without complaining...

This!!! The coaches in the league must not care that she does it because it doesn't seem like anyone ever complains about it.

I'm really not headed to Gainesville yet NC is very good team beat Florida State and we only won 1 to 0 at their place. Pickett is a top pitcher and we only scored one run against her last time we faced her so I expect a really close series with them.

If you watch that starting about 1:20 you can run/pause and see the umpire raises his hand for the illegal pitch while she's still in her backswing. She hasn't stepped or thrown the ball yet so it wasn't about the pivot foot not dragging. They don't show the entire sequence. It must have either been that her non pivot foot wasn't on the rubber (you can't tell from that view) or she didn't keep her hands separated for a full 2 seconds after she was in position to get the sign (they don't show it for long enough to tell). Or he may have just screwed up.

I tend to think it's the two second rule. She seems to really skirt that time in between getting the sign and putting her hands together to deliver the pitch. Still, it seemed really petty, especially given that some pitchers are BLATANTLY illegal on every pitch and crow-hopping gives pitchers a real advantage.

Is the rule that both feet have to be on the rubber? I'm seriously asking because a lot of pitchers, if not most, don't start with their non-pivot foot on the rubber.

We beat Florida twice with good pitching and the long ball. Haven’t seen many long balls lately though.

That was when our offense was actually working well. lol We haven't looked like the same team at all since that Florida series. I tend to think it was a fluke.

Also Barnhill doesn't have many performances like that first game in a season. And their #2 pitcher has gotten much better.

Reactions: kregman
I'm really not headed to Gainesville yet NC is very good team beat Florida State and we only won 1 to 0 at their place. Pickett is a top pitcher and we only scored one run against her last time we faced her so I expect a really close series with them.

2-0, but your point is well taken

Is the rule that both feet have to be on the rubber? I'm seriously asking because a lot of pitchers, if not most, don't start with their non-pivot foot on the rubber.

In most organizations that we go by in America both feet have to be touching the rubber when you start. NCAA, ASA, NSA, etc.

There is ALWAYS air under Barnhill's foot. She is a mere mortal when they force her to drag it. Also, Jenna Holcomb's foot is almost always out of the box during her at bats. Umpires this year have been consistently inconsistent when it comes to these rules. IMHO, let the pitchers jump if they want to, and only call the slappers out if the whole foot is out of the box. These rules have only had a negative impact because the umpires are so inconsistent.

There is ALWAYS air under Barnhill's foot. She is a mere mortal when they force her to drag it. Also, Jenna Holcomb's foot is almost always out of the box during her at bats. Umpires this year have been consistently inconsistent when it comes to these rules. IMHO, let the pitchers jump if they want to, and only call the slappers out if the whole foot is out of the box. These rules have only had a negative impact because the umpires are so inconsistent.

Yes, inconsistency is the main problem.

Reactions: Majac
There is a thing called gamesmanship where we should have every left handed batter rub out the line every time up seen other teams do it they do it all the time in MLB. Is that unethical? Rick Pitino use to have his players foul on the press til the refs just got tired of calling it and let it go. Never seen anyone ever called for rubbing out the line it is an art if done right. Do we want to play that way it sure would make life easier on our slappers and harder on the umps to call?

That was when our offense was actually working well. lol We haven't looked like the same team at all since that Florida series. I tend to think it was a fluke.

Also Barnhill doesn't have many performances like that first game in a season. And their #2 pitcher has gotten much better.

Florida’s offense doesn’t scare anyone either! Lorenz and Lindaman are the hitters to stay away from. If you can get to Barnhill early she gets rattled!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back