Maurer takes over at some point this season

Why does everyone on this board need to take classes to converse with you? Seems like a load of continuing education for very little payoff. 😒
Another humble brag pointing out how you’re on a different plane when you’re glancing at the same quarterbacks. 😴 You ever run across a site where you can be challenged adequately by other qualified football minds? Coaches message board? Or does your fandom necessitate slumming with us plebes?
Its gonna be funny when he runs into a former vol player on here and accuses them of not understanding football the way he does or telling them they cant evaluate QBs like him.

Reactions: butchna
UT was 11th in passing. Two of the teams behind them didn't even pretend they wanted to throw the ball (MSU and UK). JG and the passing O were protected with safe play calling. Rightly or wrongly, Pruitt seems to have made the decision to play very conservative on O, avoid turnovers, then win what he could with D. The OL factors into that.... and so does JG.

UT was dead last in total O. If JG simply had the skill to make good pre-snap reads then make good, quick decisions post snap... UT would have been mid-pack.

Chaney isn't doing it that way. He's demanding the QB's make plays... make the reads... and make decisions like a good SEC QB should. JG nor the others are going to be protected like JG was the last two years.

If successful... you'll be "amazed" at how much better the OL and even run game get. The O will get better and score more points though the "stats" may look a little worse.
Both of those teams had running QBs and very good running games. Neither of them played QBs who could throww the football very well. Bothe had Olines who were very good and they played to he strength of their offense. The lack of a juggernaut offense was not the quality of our QBs, running backs, or WRs. Some posters need to learn a little bit more about the basics of football before they express their lack of knowledge of the game.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
Both of those teams had running QBs and very good running games. Neither of them played QBs who could throww the football very well. Bothe had Olines who were very good and they played to he strength of their offense. The lack of a juggernaut offense was not the quality of our QBs, running backs, or WRs. Some posters need to learn a little bit more about the basics of football before they express their lack of knowledge of the game.
Know plenty about the "basics of football". Enough to know that a RB or QB can make an OL look worse than they are or vice versa... or either can make the other look better than they are. JG's decision making and reads were a MAJOR part of the problem. We could quibble what % to apply to him and how much to the OL... but the "quality of" QB play was a significant contributor to the lack of a juggernaut offense.

Reactions: Bash
Or attempts. That is why total number stats are the least important when evaluating a qb.

The actual experts use rating and per attempt stats.
LOL... at least the experts that you consider experts because they say what you want to hear.

No. If the coaches had confidence that the passing game could produce more then they would have given JG more freedom, taken more risks, and thrown more. They didn't because they didn't trust JG to make quick decisions and knew the OL couldn't give him a lot of time.

Attempts. Attempts. Attempts. Use your noggin. Total/gross figures are terrible stats to evaluate with.
Of course. Stats don't matter when they don't say what you want them to say....

Yes. Total/gross figures matter. They matter a lot. They put points on the board. They demonstrate the confidence a team has in an aspect of its offense.

I am sure you think Pruitt and Helton were so utterly stupid that they refused to pass even though they could have scored more points and won more games by doing so... but I'm pretty sure they're not. Truth is they were limited by what they could trust JG and the OL to do. JG's decision making was too slow and his presnap reads too weak to go to a quick passing game. The OL had neither the power nor development to give him time for long plays to develop.

There are teams with less arm talent than JG that are pass heavy. Their lack of a run game is offset by a quick passing game that prevents D's from loading up on their pass rush and enables them to sustain drives. If JG were capable of that Ainge-like short passing ability... it would have been the ideal O for UT last fall.

LOL... at least the experts that you consider experts because they say what you want to hear.

No. If the coaches had confidence that the passing game could produce more then they would have given JG more freedom, taken more risks, and thrown more. They didn't because they didn't trust JG to make quick decisions and knew the OL couldn't give him a lot of time.
I have schooled you enough on this. Take your L like a man for once.

Reactions: Devo182
I have schooled you enough on this. Take your L like a man for once.
You are as delusional about yourself as you are about JG... actually a lot more so.

I see you've been triggered again though.... Couldn't stand it huh? :D:D:D:D:D

I'm not saying you fall under this category with your statement but its relative to what I'm saying and some is a reaction, so I quoted you.

This is what kills me. Ive seen posts after posts criticizing JG for being "too safe". Taking the easy play and checking down. Holding the ball too long and being a sitting duck. Then Maurer comes in and does none of those things and he gets criticized for not being "ready". I've read posts throughout VN saying that he looked impressive and the reply was always "its just a spring game". Well if its just a spring game then why are we overreacting to the ints by saying hes not even close to being ready? He gave most that they wanted to see. Accuracy, poise, escape ability and the willingness to take a chance. If its "just a spring game" then forget about the STATS and concentrate on what you seen IN him. Im not disagreeing or agreeing that he's not ready or is. That's the coaches job. Im saying I seen the KIND of qb that it'll take to beat teams that we are not supposed to beat in Bama, Florida and UGA. I have nothing against JG or JT. I think both could be extremely good qbs behind a great o line but in my opinion Maurer is on another level with all the things he can do combined. Its going to take a qb with a killer mentality to get this team where we all want it to be until its been built the way Pruitt invisions. Yes he threw 2 ints on a stat sheet. I get it. What's more alarming to me is I personally only seen 1 mistake by HIM. Im more concerned about the FACT that no one seems to notice that our highest rated receiver made 0 attempt at a ball that was just as easily a reception as it was another int. Judging by Ketons highlight film he makes a living at 50/50 balls. I hope that doesn't mean he's only going to do that for 1 qb because it certainly looked that way to me.

Ps. Im open to friendly debates. Not arguing.

Two easy interceptions. Made McCollough look like an all american instead of making him look like a starter anytime soon. If that doesn't tell you he isn't ready yet, I do know what to tell you, except forget your fuzzy feelings, bud. Forget what level you think he is on. He needs to see the field better.

Instead of worrying about who starts at QB, worry about the O-Line getting better. Cause until this happens, we have no offense.

Two easy interceptions. Made McCollough look like an all american instead of making him look like a starter anytime soon. If that doesn't tell you he isn't ready yet, I do know what to tell you, except forget your fuzzy feelings, bud. Forget what level you think he is on. He needs to see the field better.

Instead of worrying about who starts at QB, worry about the O-Line getting better. Cause until this happens, we have no offense.
The first one was an easy one. The second one was the ball that many are complaining that JG won't throw. Keyton could've made that play and we all know it, as well as we know that had Callaway, Jennings or Palmer been the target on that play its likely a reception. We're just not talking about that. And like I said, Im not saying he is or isnt ready. Im saying he is the one that felt pressure , threw the most accurately and worked the pocket. Does he need to see the field better? Of course. Hes a freshman. He'll learn from it I'm sure. And I do believe the o line will be better than it looked in the spring game. Just a hunch

I see this happening only if after the first five or six games JG is tired of being hurt and laying in his back and says he has had enough and leaves the team to transfer to a team that can protect him and give him longer than 1.5 seconds to throw the ball. Then he will turn into a great qb. Fact is he ran for his life last year and I think he had some fear everytime he dropped back especially by late October. no matter who is back there if the linemen and receivers don’t do their job JG or any qb can’t do theirs.

Reactions: k-town_king
I see this happening only if after the first five or six games JG is tired of being hurt and laying in his back and says he has had enough and leaves the team to transfer to a team that can protect him and give him longer than 1.5 seconds to throw the ball. Then he will turn into a great qb. Fact is he ran for his life last year and I think he had some fear everytime he dropped back especially by late October. no matter who is back there if the linemen and receivers don’t do their job JG or any qb can’t do theirs.
UT in spite of a lot of OL problems was slightly better than mid-pack in sacks. The simple fact is that it wasn't the "1.5 seconds" alone that got JG abused. His own inability to make pre-snap reads and hit quick passes. Unless he overcomes HIS issues... he'll never be a great QB regardless of whether he's a UT or anywhere else.

He probably did play in fear. Maybe that even made him hold the ball longer. But to play it back to you... It doesn't matter who is "up there"... if the QB doesn't do his job no combination of OL's can do theirs.

Maurer is raw but he did a couple of things that help the OL. One, he stepped up into the pocket on several occasions and set the OT's up to hold their blocks. Two, he made some good, timely decisions to take off and run. JG has not been particularly good at either.

UT in spite of a lot of OL problems was slightly better than mid-pack in sacks. The simple fact is that it wasn't the "1.5 seconds" alone that got JG abused. His own inability to make pre-snap reads and hit quick passes. Unless he overcomes HIS issues... he'll never be a great QB regardless of whether he's a UT or anywhere else.

He probably did play in fear. Maybe that even made him hold the ball longer. But to play it back to you... It doesn't matter who is "up there"... if the QB doesn't do his job no combination of OL's can do theirs.

Maurer is raw but he did a couple of things that help the OL. One, he stepped up into the pocket on several occasions and set the OT's up to hold their blocks. Two, he made some good, timely decisions to take off and run. JG has not been particularly good at either.

I will never understand why people say he held the ball to long. He didn’t have time and the receivers never got off defenders forbthe quick routes. The fact that he was only sacked in the mid pack in the SEC just shows he didn’t hold onto the ball very long. He led the league in knock downs at 324 times in 12 games.

I will never understand why people say he held the ball to long. He didn’t have time and the receivers never got off defenders forbthe quick routes. The fact that he was only sacked in the mid pack in the SEC just shows he didn’t hold onto the ball very long. He led the league in knock downs at 324 times in 12 games.
It's not most people. Just a few with agendas like that guy.

Complaining about pre snap reads when it came out Helton made those. Then complaining about the literal best qb we ever had at taking care of the ball about decision making.

Great points you made.

I like JG but needs to improve in some areas. His biggest fans need to accept that he IS HUMAN.

JG had the 4th fewest attempts in the SEC so of course his sack numbers would reflect in that. Our OL sucked and allowed too much pressure but when they did find him time, we saw plenty of this.

I have 100% faith that JG is more realistic than some posters and actually works on areas of need, as he should be.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
Watch this play from film no one is opened until the very end when he was about to throw it. It was 4th and 10 he had to pick up a first down and the receivers didn’t get opened. Now I think on that play he should have ran and probably could have picked up a first down.

Watch this play from film no one is opened until the very end when he was about to throw it. It was 4th and 10 he had to pick up a first down and the receivers didn’t get opened. Now I think on that play he should have ran and probably could have picked up a first down.
And I could keep pulling up videos with near 3, or more than 3 seconds but that only hurts JG.
So why would I? Anyone that that believes he sucks keeps believing it no matter the evidence and anyone that believes he's the only flawless human in existence does the same.
I'm just praying he doesn't believe that (and I don't think he does) and I'm sure the coaches have been working with him.

And I could keep pulling up videos with near 3, or more than 3 seconds but that only hurts JG.
So why would I? Anyone that that believes he sucks keeps believing it no matter the evidence and anyone that believes he's the only flawless human in existence does the same.
I'm just praying he doesn't believe that (and I don't think he does) and I'm sure the coaches have been working with him.

I’ve read recruits accounts of their meetings with CJP and him telling them different things to work on, I know you have also. I believe he probably has done this also with, not just JG, but the team. I don’t believe for a second that he sticks with JG because he is bullish on this and didn’t believe for now, he is our best shot at winning.

I’ve read recruits accounts of their meetings with CJP and him telling them different things to work on, I know you have also. I believe he probably has done this also with, not just JG, but the team. I don’t believe for a second that he sticks with JG because he is bullish on this and didn’t believe for now, he is our best shot at winning.
Oh I guarantee it. He's our guy and they have told him/them exactly where they need improvement this year.
I was saying I'm glad he doesn't believe he's flawless and will work on those areas.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
You can't. If you can, do it.

This end game 4 and 10 play is the one single play y'all keep posting. Like it wasn't 4 and 10 at the end of the game. Lmao

You can't. If you can, do it.

This end game 4 and 10 play is the one single play y'all keep posting. Like it wasn't 4 and 10 at the end of the game. Lmao
Not talking to you and no longer interested in your Jesus Christ interpretation of JG.
You have serious..serious issues K-town and you've done nothing but provoke people into pointing out his flaws, like you're trying to do now. Back off and leave the kid alone.

Just give me an O Line that can block. That’s the first step. The QB situation will work itself out after that.

Reactions: alltimevol2331
Oh I guarantee it. He's our guy and they have told him/them exactly where they need improvement this year.
I was saying I'm glad he doesn't believe he's flawless and will work on those areas.
I agree. Poor JG, no one could, nor should have to live up to (or down) the expectation by a select few on here. By him being the starter, tells me that he is the best we have.

Reactions: chargervol
It’s a team sport for one reason. It takes all 11 on both sides of the ball and special teams working together to win and be successful.

It’s a team sport for one reason. It takes all 11 on both sides of the ball and special teams working together to win and be successful.
Agreed.
In number 2, the line had the opportunity to give JG an extra time and failed. The bad OL is a given. Still, there's around 3 seconds from the snap but the development of the play is so slow, it doesn't matter. The receivers do a poor job getting open against Florida but someone is unaccounted for.
And his dump off receiver is wide open against WV but we're running that insane 50 step drop lol.
Just different breakdowns. We've got to improve in each area to put it all together.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back