Maurer takes over at some point this season

JG brings average at best play. Maurer looks better, but do you waste a year of elligibility on a still growing program that is going to be even better for a SEC frosh the next year?

Average play (stats) being behind one of the worst OLs in the country and the 108th rushing offense is actually a bit impressive. I would concur his stats are around the median (a bit in front of), but contextually he is dragging a lot of dead weight just to get there.

Passing game was actually pretty decent last year, but we were DEAD LAST in the sec in rushing. That was our dead weight and it dragged down passing even more always being behind the chains. Didnt help our oc never read the memo that running on 1st down is bad.
Yeah I don't think the run game helped at all.

But I think the word your looking for regarding the passing game is efficient.. And if that was the goal then sure, it was "good".

Passing game was actually pretty decent last year, but we were DEAD LAST in the sec in rushing. That was our dead weight and it dragged down passing even more always being behind the chains. Didnt help our oc never read the memo that running on 1st down is bad.
UT was 11th in passing. Two of the teams behind them didn't even pretend they wanted to throw the ball (MSU and UK). JG and the passing O were protected with safe play calling. Rightly or wrongly, Pruitt seems to have made the decision to play very conservative on O, avoid turnovers, then win what he could with D. The OL factors into that.... and so does JG.

UT was dead last in total O. If JG simply had the skill to make good pre-snap reads then make good, quick decisions post snap... UT would have been mid-pack.

Chaney isn't doing it that way. He's demanding the QB's make plays... make the reads... and make decisions like a good SEC QB should. JG nor the others are going to be protected like JG was the last two years.

If successful... you'll be "amazed" at how much better the OL and even run game get. The O will get better and score more points though the "stats" may look a little worse.

Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

He is way better than J.G. but needs some time to adjust.

Agree....go on record now.

Disagree....go on record now.

We will then find out who is right at the end of the season.

Crazy things happen.

I personally do not agree with you though.

JG brings average at best play. Maurer looks better, but do you waste a year of elligibility on a still growing program that is going to be even better for a SEC frosh the next year?

So you are basing this on attractiveness? You can't mean he looked like a better player.

If he's the best player, you play him. He's not at this point and it isn't all that close. He can close the gap for sure if JG doesn't keep improving. But right now, he's not ready. Shrout is a little closer from a mental standpoint... but not a lot.

JG has the physical talent to be one of the best to play for UT. He wasn't "average" the last two years. He was below average and not difficult to defend.... but he does have the potential if Chaney can get it out of him to be great.

Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

He is way better than J.G. but needs some time to adjust.

Agree....go on record now.

Disagree....go on record now.

We will then find out who is right at the end of the season.

Luckily, SEC network was showing the replay of the O&W game when I saw this thread. It's just now winding down, and even though Maurer did seem mobile, it seems he made McCollough look good with two easy picks. If that is your IT factor, I must disagree. He has talent, but he needs to develop. Guarantano will have to be injured or seriously ill and hospitalized for either Shrout or Maurer to take a start. So, if you want to jump up on a dung pile and crow over that, go for it. Shrout is slightly better poised because he has been here a year.

Maurer looks promising. I did like his pass to Jackson Lowe that ended up fumbled (not his fault), but those two picks tell me he needs to see the field better. He needs to put the ball where only his receiver can catch it. Anything can happen in football, but at this point and time, he needs to just go ahead and wear a red shirt on the Vol Walk. I think that is the plan for now and best for him and the team for this season if possible. I agree he needs time to adjust, and that amount of time he needs will probably be a full year. Now, if he improves quickly over the summer, that might change. But I doubt it. He needs to learn a few things, not just adjust.

Right. The passing game last year was pretty decent as long as you ignore the fact that we didn't have many passing yards or passing touchdowns.

Right. The passing game last year was pretty decent as long as you ignore the fact that we didn't have many passing yards or passing touchdowns.
Or attempts. That is why total number stats are the least important when evaluating a qb.

The actual experts use rating and per attempt stats.

Reactions: Devo182
Yeah I don't think the run game helped at all.

But I think the word your looking for regarding the passing game is efficient.. And if that was the goal then sure, it was "good".

Yes, efficient. That is all that matters. Can't blame them for not getting more pass attempts from Helton. He was obsessed with running on 1st and 2nd downs, then asked JG and callaway/Jennings to bail him out on 3rd and long over and over and over again. It was sad how much he had to get bailed out from his own poor playcalling. Reminded me of Dobbs bailing out the ole boss over and over again.

Attempts. Attempts. Attempts. Use your noggin. Total/gross figures are terrible stats to evaluate with.

Reactions: k-town_king
Or attempts. That is why total number stats are the least important when evaluating a qb.

The actual experts use rating and per attempt stats.

Bingo. But let's not follow the experts. Let's say Army and Navy and GT are the best rushing teams in history because they rack up total rushing yards. They are also clearly the worst passing teams ever as well. That makes sense.

People...

Reactions: k-town_king
Yes, efficient. That is all that matters. Can't blame them for not getting more pass attempts from Helton. He was obsessed with running on 1st and 2nd downs, then asked JG and callaway/Jennings to bail him out on 3rd and long over and over and over again. It was sad how much he had to get bailed out from his own poor playcalling. Reminded me of Dobbs bailing out the ole boss over and over again.
well, it's two seperate conversations, but i think pruitt saw what he had on the offense and just didn't trust it to just let it fly...and i'm not sure he was convinced he made the right hire in Helton, and reigned him in a bit.

and we know at least one part of that is true, since Helton isn't here anymore.

either way, the story for the pass game last year was "don't get us beat", and for the most part, when JG let it fly, it wasn't going to get us beat.

now, protection problems, holding the ball too long, drops, missed assignments in blitz pick ups, not reading pre snap correctly, poor throws..........etc........it all contributed to the overall woes our passing game had.....

but we were never going to be an over the top, down the field, across the middle type offense last season.

i'm very interested to see how some of that changes this coming season with most every one back, going thru year 2 off season and s&c, and if that run game gets any better to support it.

all big if's going in. we'll see how it shakes out. i do thin it will be better when it's all said and done.

Luckily, SEC network was showing the replay of the O&W game when I saw this thread. It's just now winding down, and even though Maurer did seem mobile, it seems he made McCollough look good with two easy picks. If that is your IT factor, I must disagree. He has talent, but he needs to develop. Guarantano will have to be injured or seriously ill and hospitalized for either Shrout or Maurer to take a start. So, if you want to jump up on a dung pile and crow over that, go for it. Shrout is slightly better poised because he has been here a year.

Maurer looks promising. I did like his pass to Jackson Lowe that ended up fumbled (not his fault), but those two picks tell me he needs to see the field better. He needs to put the ball where only his receiver can catch it. Anything can happen in football, but at this point and time, he needs to just go ahead and wear a red shirt on the Vol Walk. I think that is the plan for now and best for him and the team for this season if possible. I agree he needs time to adjust, and that amount of time he needs will probably be a full year. Now, if he improves quickly over the summer, that might change. But I doubt it. He needs to learn a few things, not just adjust.
I'm not saying you fall under this category with your statement but its relative to what I'm saying and some is a reaction, so I quoted you.

This is what kills me. Ive seen posts after posts criticizing JG for being "too safe". Taking the easy play and checking down. Holding the ball too long and being a sitting duck. Then Maurer comes in and does none of those things and he gets criticized for not being "ready". I've read posts throughout VN saying that he looked impressive and the reply was always "its just a spring game". Well if its just a spring game then why are we overreacting to the ints by saying hes not even close to being ready? He gave most that they wanted to see. Accuracy, poise, escape ability and the willingness to take a chance. If its "just a spring game" then forget about the STATS and concentrate on what you seen IN him. Im not disagreeing or agreeing that he's not ready or is. That's the coaches job. Im saying I seen the KIND of qb that it'll take to beat teams that we are not supposed to beat in Bama, Florida and UGA. I have nothing against JG or JT. I think both could be extremely good qbs behind a great o line but in my opinion Maurer is on another level with all the things he can do combined. Its going to take a qb with a killer mentality to get this team where we all want it to be until its been built the way Pruitt invisions. Yes he threw 2 ints on a stat sheet. I get it. What's more alarming to me is I personally only seen 1 mistake by HIM. Im more concerned about the FACT that no one seems to notice that our highest rated receiver made 0 attempt at a ball that was just as easily a reception as it was another int. Judging by Ketons highlight film he makes a living at 50/50 balls. I hope that doesn't mean he's only going to do that for 1 qb because it certainly looked that way to me.

Ps. Im open to friendly debates. Not arguing.

I would say you don't because you know more information about EVERYTHING than most people on here.

No, me or anyone can't know for sure how well Brian does until this fall. It's only April.
So I say "know". That is literally the wrong word to use based off current circumstances, but it is a testament to how much conviction I have in his impending heroism.

I'm not wrong. I'm just not right, yet.
Do you have more conviction in Maurer than you did TaDarryl Marshall?

I've been on record for a while now about this. Yes, I agree with you.

He'll give this program an energy it hasn't had in a while. We're very fortunate to have him.
While I disagree that he'll start this yr (barring injury to JG) I gotta tell you that you and I seem to see the same things. Ive been doing it for a while now and wanted to tip my hat to your ability to evaluate a qb. UT got a good one. Some just won't see what we see until he gets on the field in a meaningful game.

I've read posts throughout VN saying that he looked impressive and the reply was always "its just a spring game". Well if its just a spring game then why are we overreacting to the ints by saying hes not even close to being ready?
People aren't putting faith in spring game perfomance because
It's our defense.
The second team D
The 2nd team playing vanilla

Maurer couldn't have picked a worse circumstance to throw picks. Throw 1 in a real game against a heralded defense, no one blinks an eye. But one of the coaches said that "Tank" hadn't intercepted 1 ball all spring but then grabbed 2 from BM. Circumstances.

Wts, I really like the kid and not worried about it. I saw just as much/more to praise about his performance. Manning was throwing picks all over in the beginning, means little.

And for your benefit, listened to a recent VQ podcast and they said the staff really likes BM. Pruitt has criticisms but it's Pruitt, that's normal.

But my first ever response to you still stands. Brian will get his chance. If he's the best, he'll start.
Still don't understand your obsession for every other person to agree with you.
Yeah, yeah, I know, you don't think you have one. You're up to 78 posts now and every single one has been about Maurer.
Every.single.one.
Dude, it's weird.

People aren't putting faith in spring game perfomance because
It's our defense.
The second team D
The 2nd team playing vanilla

Maurer couldn't have picked a worse circumstance to throw picks. Throw 1 in a real game against a heralded defense, no one blinks an eye. But one of the coaches said that "Tank" hadn't intercepted 1 ball all spring but then grabbed 2 from BM. Circumstances.

Wts, I really like the kid and not worried about it. I saw just as much/more to praise about his performance. Manning was throwing picks all over in the beginning, means little.

And for your benefit, listened to a recent VQ podcast and they said the staff really likes BM. Pruitt has criticisms but it's Pruitt, that's normal.

But my first ever response to you still stands. Brian will get his chance. If he's the best, he'll start.
Still don't understand your obsession for every other person to agree with you.
Yeah, yeah, I know, you don't think you have one. You're up to 78 posts now and every single one has been about Maurer.
Every.single.one.
Dude, it's weird.
Ok look. First of all I wasn't trying to get anyone to agree to anything. If that's what you got out of that I would suggest rereading it and then a comprehension class if you come up with the same conclusion. I see qbs differently than a lot of people. Im also a UT fan. All I see are complaints about JG and I see the hypocritical responses. And stop suggesting that I'm trying to sell HIM. He'll sell himself once he touches the field. Im expressing an opinion beforehand. And In case you didn't notice the thread is "MAURER starts at some point this season". So forgive me that I'm talking about MAURER. In fact all of my responses that you are criticizing me on are on Maurer threads or having to do with QUARTERBACK play 🤔 weird? I don't think so. I actually feel like thats what the threads were created for(you'll have to ask the creator). What's weird is you trolling my comments and singling me out on Maurer threads and criticizing me about taking about Maurer.

Second. although I agree with what you said about it being our def and against the 2nd team, it only helps strengthen my point. If our o line is so bad then you gotta give more credit to him and Shrout for playing behind their backups.

And just for the record you've never heard me say he should start. You never heard me say he was better than any of them. He's just different.

Ok look. First of all I wasn't trying to get anyone to agree to anything. If that's what you got out of that I would suggest rereading it and then a comprehension class if you come up with the same conclusion. I see qbs differently than a lot of people. Im also a UT fan. All I see are complaints about JG and I see the hypocritical responses. And stop suggesting that I'm trying to sell HIM. He'll sell himself once he touches the field. Im expressing an opinion beforehand. And In case you didn't notice the thread is "MAURER starts at some point this season". So forgive me that I'm talking about MAURER. In fact all of my responses that you are criticizing me on are on Maurer threads or having to do with QUARTERBACK play 🤔 weird? I don't think so. I actually feel like thats what the threads were created for(you'll have to ask the creator). What's weird is you trolling my comments and singling me out on Maurer threads and criticizing me about taking about Maurer.

Second. although I agree with what you said about it being our def and against the 2nd team, it only helps strengthen my point. If our o line is so bad then you gotta give more credit to him and Shrout for playing behind their backups.

And just for the record you've never heard me say he should start. You never heard me say he was better than any of them. He's just different.
Every post
Every thread

giphy-11.gif

Reactions: 901LookAlive

Why does everyone on this board need to take classes to converse with you? Seems like a load of continuing education for very little payoff. 😒
Another humble brag pointing out how you’re on a different plane when you’re glancing at the same quarterbacks. 😴 You ever run across a site where you can be challenged adequately by other qualified football minds? Coaches message board? Or does your fandom necessitate slumming with us plebes?

Reactions: Behr and chargervol
Ill continue to talk about the subjects at hand and I'll choose what I'm interested in. Thank you for your concern. Don't like it? Ignore it.

Ignore it?
Heck, I was considering suggesting BM get restraining order.

tumblr_inline_mt1anwXVBA1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: butchna
Ill continue to talk about the subjects at hand and I'll choose what I'm interested in. Thank you for your concern. Don't like it? Ignore it.

Another one who only attacks everyone and that’s all they do? Why do you attract such ungrateful trolls when your purpose is so noble? 🤔

Reactions: chargervol

VN Store

Back