Vandy Loss = Pruitt Sucks

You can only put 5 on the field at once. For the Vanderbilt game, the line was Tatum, J.Johnson, R.Johnson, Niehaus, and Richmond. Even going by those stats, that means our oline averaged 296 lbs, and that's banking on those weights being accurate since Jahmir Johnson couldn't hit 285 in full pads with a belly full of CiCi's Pizza.

How Jahmir Johnson wound up a 270-lb starting guard for the Vols
Everyone of the guys I listed played a lot of football for us last year. Not one of them was 279lbs, and their average weight, per UTSports.com, was 304lbs. You said we gotta get guys that average 300+lbs before we can expect good play from our OL.....we were already there last year. Do with it what you will.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Correct, he was still listed as staring on the depth chart, but Jerome Carvin started in his place.
Guess the average weight of our OL went up that week, especially since you can only put 5 OLs on the field at once.

Everyone of the guys I listed played a lot of football for us last year. Not one of them was 279lbs, and their average weight, per UTSports.com, was 304lbs. You said we gotta get guys that average 300+lbs before we can expect good play from our OL.....we were already there last year. Do with it what you will.

You are correct, I stated his weight was 9 lbs heavier than it actually was according to Pruitt.

“I think Jahmir’s a tough guy," Pruitt said. "I think he’s a guy that does have body quickness. He can roll his hips, he can finish (blocks). He’s played in there this year, he only weighs 270 pounds.

That's quite a bit less than the 285 that he was listed at on the roster, and I'd wager that the weights of the other players were from their initial weigh-in in spring or summer prior to spring/fall camp.

Tennessee ultimately wants to have the hulking kind of offensive line many of its SEC counterparts do, but for now the Vols are having to get by with three starting linemen who weigh less than 300 pounds. Nathan Niehaus, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 287 pounds, has started the past five games at right guard. Marcus Tatum, listed at 6-foot-6 and 293 pounds.

We aren't going to get more of a successful run game until we get guys on the line that are big enough to open holes in SEC DLines, and <300 lb. olinemen are not going to be able to do that, as was evidenced last season.

Guess the average weight of our OL went up that week, especially since you can only put 5 OLs on the field at once.

Yeah, when you factor in the fact that Jahmir was actually 270 and not 285, and swap Carvin for Neiehaus, the average weight of the starting five went from 296, to 296.8 for the Vandy game. We had a whopping 103 rushing yards, with 75 of those being on one run from chandler.

#progress

I hadn’t been a member in here very long when that game happened. The meltdown/ uproar was epic. Back when we expected to beat bama
Yeah it was surprising when they beat us like that...Any loss to Bama is sickening.

Only 3 times last season did we resemble an SEC team (the times we beat Auburn and Kentucky, and blew out a cupcake).

It wasn't so much as losing to Vandy that made people upset, but rather that we got absolutely demolished.

I'm not too worried considering that was CJP's first season as a head coach, but I expect better this year.

You are correct, I stated his weight was 9 lbs heavier than it actually was according to Pruitt.

“I think Jahmir’s a tough guy," Pruitt said. "I think he’s a guy that does have body quickness. He can roll his hips, he can finish (blocks). He’s played in there this year, he only weighs 270 pounds.

That's quite a bit less than the 285 that he was listed at on the roster, and I'd wager that the weights of the other players were from their initial weigh-in in spring or summer prior to spring/fall camp.

Tennessee ultimately wants to have the hulking kind of offensive line many of its SEC counterparts do, but for now the Vols are having to get by with three starting linemen who weigh less than 300 pounds. Nathan Niehaus, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 287 pounds, has started the past five games at right guard. Marcus Tatum, listed at 6-foot-6 and 293 pounds.

We aren't going to get more of a successful run game until we get guys on the line that are big enough to open holes in SEC DLines, and <300 lb. olinemen are not going to be able to do that, as was evidenced last season.
I read JP’s “Jahmir only weighs 270” as nothing more than coachspeak. Gonna go with what he (and the other players) officially weighed in at here per UTSports.com. Seriously doubt JP, at any point last year, was present, witnessing when our guys were being weighed.

Point is, it’s gonna take much more than just a bunch of big guys to get the OL we need. Of course I agree with you that we need bigger, stronger guys, but our average OLineman was 304 last year and we sucked to historic levels. We more importantly need better coaching, better technique and more nasty attitude.....none of which we had last year.

I read JP’s “Jahmir only weighs 270” as nothing more than coachspeak. Gonna go with what he (and the other players) officially weighed in at here per UTSports.com. Seriously doubt JP, at any point last year, was present, witnessing when our guys were being weighed.

Point is, it’s gonna take much more than just a bunch of big guys to get the OL we need. Of course I agree with you that we need bigger, stronger guys, but our average OLineman was 304 last year and we sucked to historic levels. We more importantly need better coaching, better technique and more nasty attitude.....none of which we had last year.

Yep...pure...coach speak.
jjohnson270.png

We had 3 starting linemen for most of the season that were sub 300 lbs. Against SEC dlines, as evidenced by last years rushing stats, that doesn'twork.

VN Store

Back