'19 MD PF Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua (Signed 5/8/2019)

Confusing post. Did you omit the word that or do you think he has a chance to be amazing and quickly. How's about contributor as a Frosh.
He looks to be a good player and athlete. With his perimeter skills, he can possibly overcome the obvious need of gaining strength. That would allow him to contribute on the perimeter and mid-range while he later develops more inside game with additional strength.

He looks to be a good player and athlete. With his perimeter skills, he can possibly overcome the obvious need of gaining strength. That would allow him to contribute on the perimeter and mid-range while he later develops more inside game with additional strength.
Sorry. I thought you were writing him off or was that Pember? ORN has jumped up to 4 star status since he committed. Looks like a blue collar guy to me. Not flashy but eventually a consistent player.

Don’t underestimate this team without Bone and Williams. Bowden and Turner both have the potential to score 15-20 ppg when healthy, and add a 5 star top 30 player to them. With returning post players on an NCAA tourney team. Guys just being part of that time last year benefited, and if you think an NIT next year is a nice season then you’re out of your mind. This is a potential 20 win team or better.

Sorry. I thought you were writing him off or was that Pember? ORN has jumped up to 4 star status since he committed. Looks like a blue collar guy to me. Not flashy but eventually a consistent player.
Pember. I just cannot see him ever contributing with his skills. If he does, I think it is a 3 or 4 year journey to even be a minor role player. This team should not be taking projects like that at this time, and now they are in need of early contributors which highlights him even more.

Barnes did not strong arm UT for more money. UCLA came after him. UT then countered offer. He was gone until UCLA would not pay the buy out. We could have let him go. I believe if we did not counter he would be gone. Business wise Barnes would have used his UCLA increase to pay the buyout.

Last edited:
Don’t underestimate this team without Bone and Williams. Bowden and Turner both have the potential to score 15-20 ppg when healthy, and add a 5 star top 30 player to them. With returning post players on an NCAA tourney team. Guys just being part of that time last year benefited, and if you think an NIT next year is a nice season then you’re out of your mind. This is a potential 20 win team or better.
Where does rebounding and inside defense come from?

Barnes did not strong arm UT for more money. UCLA came after him. UT then countered offer. He was gone until UCLA would not pay the buy out. We could have let him go. I believe if we did not counter. Business wise Barnes would have used his UCLA increase to pay the buyout.
With the timeline that appears to have been given and the leverage of each party, and just the basic mathematics involved in the finances here, your account does not make sense.

With the timeline that appears to have been given and the leverage of each party, and just the basic mathematics involved in the finances here, your account does not make sense.
Except they’re established facts. Buy something.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Except they’re established facts. Buy something.
So, if they won't pay the buyout and that is the issue, why would he still have left? His reported increase at UCLA would have only been enough, especially after taxes, to break even after multiple years (and maybe not within the contract term). Sorry, not facts.

So, if they won't pay the buyout and that is the issue, why would he still have left? His reported increase at UCLA would have only been enough, especially after taxes, to break even after multiple years (and maybe not within the contract term). Sorry, not facts.
It was upwards of 5 mil per year. I’m not sure what your first question was about. UCLA wouldn’t pay the full buyout. Fulmer and Boyd upped our offer and he stayed. Pretty self explanatory. So that salary of yours...street pharmaceuticals? 😉
giphy.gif

It is fair in terms of the ability of Barnes to live up to new expectations after he strong armed the salary of an elite college basketball coach. Like it or not, Barnes created a more critical view of his recruiting and expectations of no let down in program results.
How do we know the conversation didn’t go something like this, “Phil, UCLA called and they want me. I have always been intrigued by that job due to my great respect and admiration for John Wooden. They are willing to pay my buyout and give me $2.5 million more per year than what I currently make. I appreciate the opportunity Tennessee has provided me, but I am leaning towards taking the position because I see it as a special, once in a lifetime opportunity.”

At that point, the ball was in Fulmer’s court. If he didn’t feel Barnes was worth $5 million, he didn’t have to give it to him. I don’t understand the theory that Barnes held Fulmer’s feet to the fire in some glorified extortion attempt. Salary negotiation is a two-way street, and if Barnes was as close to leaving as believed, it is more likely that Phil asked him to stay and how much it would take than Barnes saying with a sly grin, “I’m leaning towards taking the job, but I’d probably stay for say...$5 million a year.”

How do we know the conversation didn’t go something like this, “Phil, UCLA called and they want me. I have always been intrigued by that job due to my great respect and admiration for John Wooden. They are willing to pay my buyout and give me $2.5 million more per year than what I currently make. I appreciate the opportunity Tennessee has provided me, but I am leaning towards taking the position because I see it as a special, once in a lifetime opportunity.”

At that point, the ball was in Fulmer’s court. If he didn’t feel Barnes was worth $5 million, he didn’t have to give it to him. I don’t understand the theory that Barnes held Fulmer’s feet to the fire in some glorified extortion attempt. Salary negotiation is a two-way street, and if Barnes was as close to leaving as believed, it is more likely that Phil asked him to stay and how much it would take than Barnes saying with a sly grin, “I’m leaning towards taking the job, but I’d probably stay for say...$5 million a year.”
Knew Fulmer had program perception and PR problem.

Where does rebounding and inside defense come from?
I don’t think defense and rebounding will be the problem in the post. I think the scoring will be, but I think there have been guys waiting for an opportunity that will take over those minutes in the post. I think Fulkerson with some added bulk will be a good defensive and rebounding player in the post, and if Zack Kent is doing as well as everyone says then he or DJ Burns will be quality post players. Everyone forgets that DJ burns reclassified and was a 4 star PF still. He will be a stud. Just think if he and Kent will both be solid that’s a big 1-2 punch down low. The. I think Yves Pons will play some 4 as well, and he can jump through the gym. Pons can be a rim protector and a good rebounder. I just think we will be a more gaurd oriented team, but Auburn proved that gaurd oriented teams can go a long ways.

Reactions: cardvolfan
That's composite. He's 153 on 247 and 150 on rivals, which somehow bumps him to 110 in composite. Maybe ESPN ranked him super high?
Rankings are confusing at best, and to be taken with a grain of salt. They can't really measure the heart of a kid, nor the timing and the situation that he encounters. Given a little time, the cream will rise to the top.

I don’t think defense and rebounding will be the problem in the post. I think the scoring will be, but I think there have been guys waiting for an opportunity that will take over those minutes in the post. I think Fulkerson with some added bulk will be a good defensive and rebounding player in the post, and if Zack Kent is doing as well as everyone says then he or DJ Burns will be quality post players. Everyone forgets that DJ burns reclassified and was a 4 star PF still. He will be a stud. Just think if he and Kent will both be solid that’s a big 1-2 punch down low. The. I think Yves Pons will play some 4 as well, and he can jump through the gym. Pons can be a rim protector and a good rebounder. I just think we will be a more gaurd oriented team, but Auburn proved that gaurd oriented teams can go a long ways.
Not sure about the Auburn model shooting 50 3s a game. Those guys were shooting themselves out of slumps during games. We didn't shoot enough 3s to do that. When we did we missed um.

Reactions: cardvolfan
We've got 4 incoming Freshmen who are all in the top 250 nationally...

What exactly is the issue? This is hands down the best class Barnes has brought in, ranked 21st on 247 now with a 92.86 average

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back