Vandy Loss = Pruitt Sucks

HAHA. Yes I know it's over stated, but it fits here. The results from the first year don't tell you much if anything about the long term success a coach will have at a school in CFB.

Saban's losses in his first year at Alabama were all, by 7 points or less, not the 6 25+ point losses of Pruitt's first year; there are zero parallels between the two.

As for pegging a thumbs-up, thumbs-down vote on a coach based off of a single game, I'm not very keen on, but if Jeremy can't figure out a way to beat a Shurmur-less Vandy by the end of November, then I'd say we're in trouble going into year 3.

Don't know how many games you played but.The players determine the outcome of the game ,the coach can't play,he can only put the will to win and the plan of the game in to the players

If the offensive line can’t stay on side or keep the QB up for more than 2 seconds then it will be another rough year. Vol fans just have to be real with themselves, we do not have a SEC roster. It’s getting there but this is a line of scrimmage league with grown men getting ready for the league and we just didn’t have any. Butch Jones should be arrested for theft, Dooley wasn’t much better and Lane’s class all didn’t qual or failed out. We haven’t stacked talent since Fulmer, give him some time. Hopefully Cheney will help mask some of the offensive line issues.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
We were not good on the trenches on either side of the ball and Vandy and Missouri both had 4 yr starter senior quarterbacks. Just chill and give it time. I am confident things are on the up swing now, we have a real athletic director and I believe in Pruitt.

Saban's losses in his first year at Alabama were all, by 7 points or less, not the 6 25+ point losses of Pruitt's first year; there are zero parallels between the two.

As for pegging a thumbs-up, thumbs-down vote on a coach based off of a single game, I'm not very keen on, but if Jeremy can't figure out a way to beat a Shurmur-less Vandy by the end of November, then I'd say we're in trouble going into year 3.

Exactly this. A well-coached team can lose, and a poorly coached team can win. You can't put a lot of stock on a single W/L. But with all the talk about Vandy, to me the most concerning game was Charlotte. Have people forgotten we scored one offensive TD agains them, at home? And were shutout the last three quarters? I get Pruitt didn't have the horses to compete against most SEC teams, but c'mon now.

Could he have at least been competitive against Vandy? Let’s shoot for that this year. Geez.

Let us pause to appreciate the P40s taking it to Bama at Tuscaloosa. Once, the Warhawks had to play a home game at a stadium other than their own to avoid dropping below requisite annual FBS attendance numbers. Yeah, some will spin it as the listless Tide's embarrassing loss ("They lost that game more than ULM won it."), but let a smile be on your face. Be happy for ULM. After all, they are not North Texas (10/25/75).
Just when I'm about to forget about that North Texas debacle (I was there), it comes back like bad guacamole (mean green). Oh well, it happens.:rolleyes:

The "how bad we lost" thing is overplayed imo. *After winning wasn't an option, Pruitt just went aggressive.
The pass rushing with such a bad pass defense, was a big factor in the point margins and that's a fact easily checked.

Pruitt had the choice of a "respectable" loss or working on his blitz heavy, aggressive D, for the future. He chose system implementation.

The worst part, I believe many complaining have enough FB knowledge to know that.. but are ignoring it because they want to vent.

I completely agree.

I think what panicked people is there is a difference between losing and getting taken behind a woodshed
And it's not necessarily proof of anything. But given the ramifications and the situation, it's definitely cause for concern. The frightening thing is that unlike the last 2, I know that regardless of the outcome of his tenure here, Jeremy Pruitt is good at coaching football and will land on his feet and be successful, so this really needs to work out for the reputation of the football program here to remain simply dormant at worst, and not absolutely dead(or a product of the past).

It's not that he just lost to Vandy, he got destroyed by Vandy And when that's the game that determines Bowl eligibility that's concerning. South Carolina loss didn't help either.

I think the team gave up. I don't think they wanted to go to a bowl game honestly. When that happens, there is only so much "rah-rah" a coach can do. It is for this reason that recruiting character as well as talent is so pivotal for a culture change to a once dominant program like Tennessee. No, I didn't say "5* hearts". I said character. Those that would give their all no matter what team they played for.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The "how bad we lost" thing is overplayed imo. *After winning wasn't an option, Pruitt just went aggressive.
The pass rushing with such a bad pass defense, was a big factor in the point margins and that's a fact easily checked.

Pruitt had the choice of a "respectable" loss or working on his blitz heavy, aggressive D, for the future. He chose system implementation.

The worst part, I believe many complaining have enough FB knowledge to know that.. but are ignoring it because they want to vent.

Ahhhhhh, the mental gymnastics some will go to explain why coaches were outcoached and why players quit.

If I recall correctly (and there was alcohol involved), Vandy had 3 long drives in the 2nd half where they pounded us into submission and only 1 drive like you mentioned (that drive was the backbreaker since it was only 17-6 at that time).

I was a dozen rows up there at the Peabody HS stadium and at the end of the 3rd quarter, I saw a team that had quit and mailed it in...

Reactions: Titan05
Don’t you know man when the current coach gets called out you are labeled an idiot and negative, once that dude gets canned because you were right all the jack wagons defending said prior coach turn on him and use him as an excuse for the current coach. They then continue their pattern of attacking anyone who sees potential flaws with the current coach until he is fired. Come on man it’s been like this on volnation for 10 plus years. That’s why, while I hope pruitt is the answer I put no faith in anything the people who supported Dooley and then supported butch past about the first 5 minutes of either coaching tenures have to say.
With Fulmer then Dooley, I used to argue that we shouldn't publicly criticize them or at least not harshly since it could hurt recruiting and program image. I was wrong. I try to be "nice" and not make it personal but honest and objective too. I wanted Jones to succeed. He just kept doing stuff that trended the other direction. People thought I was a "negavol" for criticizing a guy who everyone in retrospect agrees was in way over his head.

I respectfully disagree vehemently.

th
Can't afford it. Too many other "legends" are out there posting cute memes... :D

If you eat crow when proved wrong, what do you eat when proved right? Pheasant???
I've eaten crow.

Most here won't. They'll just change their screen name to escape their record of rights and wrongs. I haven't changed mine since I joined in 2006. I don't wear rose colored glasses as much anymore... probably the biggest difference. But I'm still hopeful that UT will pull out of this funk and be a lot more fun to pull for.

You know as well as any that you have to bring your lunch pail if you want to change my mind after I have come to believe something... but I would rather be proven wrong and change than to continue to be wrong.

I keep hearing this over and over. "Pruitt isn't the answer. He lost to Vandy. No coach worth the job gets beat by Vandy!"

In general I agree - Losses to Vandy aren't acceptable. But you cannot judge coaches based on year one results.
  1. Year One Kirby Smart at UGA (with loaded roster) - lost to Vandy also.
  2. The classic example (year one Saban at Bama lost to La. Monroe).
You can't judge CJP good or bad based on his year one results.

Year 2 is a different story. Let's see what happens. If he has a chance to be good we should see some improvement this season. But when judging year two you have to take the starting point (4-8 in 2017). I think 7-5 in 2019 will be a good step - with 8-4 being a very positive sign.

But please no more references to "he lost to vandy so he sucks".
Between year One and year Two is the biggest improvement for any coach, UT will play much better. Saban Meyer Richt Smart etc all won the SEC year two and at least 12 wins, Richt/Smart had 13 each. Will UT win 12 and the East? No, but the biggest jump will be this year and 8 wins should be the floor with this schedule, it’s as easy as it will be. 4 cupcakes and going .500 in the league should be doable and expected.

When your program starts making excuses for losing to Vandy you know, for sure, your program has a problem. Maybe they have solved that problem, we will see soon enough. In any case, this season, Vandy is a must win game.

Reactions: Titan05

VN Store

Back