ESPN’s way too early Top 25

And people don't think we make the tournament next year....

That’s because the author is basing this on Grant and Bone coming back. We should be a top 15 team with those coming back next year.

That’s because the author is basing this on Grant and Bone coming back. We should be a top 15 team with those coming back next year.
You would do well to re-read the article. We get a top 25 placement because of our record over the past two years. The writer goes on to say there are a number of variables still at play that could determine our fate next season, like Bone and Williams coming back. His verdict on us is "wait and see" what happens in the off season. He is not ranking us based on the assumption that Williams and/or Bone come back.

You would do well to re-read the article. We get a top 25 placement because of our record over the past two years. The writer goes on to say there are a number of variables still at play that could determine our fate next season, like Bone and Williams coming back. His verdict on us is "wait and see" what happens in the off season. He is not ranking us based on the assumption that Williams come back.

Okay fine, either way he won’t have UT top 25 if Williams and Bone come back.

It doesn't say that. Read the friggin article. Never mind. I'll just quote it here:

25. Tennessee Volunteers
Because Tennessee has won 57 games and earned a top-three seed in the NCAA tournament in each of the past two seasons, they get a spot here -- for now. Rick Barnes is being linked to the UCLA job, and Grant Williams and Jordan Bone are potential NBA early entrants. Admiral Schofield and Kyle Alexander are already gone. If Williams comes back, he could be preseason Player of the Year and would form a strong trio with Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden. Five-star recruit Josiah James also enters the fold. We'll wait and see on the Vols.

It doesn't say that. Read the friggin article. Never mind. I'll just quote it here:

25. Tennessee Volunteers
Because Tennessee has won 57 games and earned a top-three seed in the NCAA tournament in each of the past two seasons, they get a spot here -- for now. Rick Barnes is being linked to the UCLA job, and Grant Williams and Jordan Bone are potential NBA early entrants. Admiral Schofield and Kyle Alexander are already gone. If Williams comes back, he could be preseason Player of the Year and would form a strong trio with Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden. Five-star recruit Josiah James also enters the fold. We'll wait and see on the Vols.

Okay so he puts them there, says Williams and Bone are considering the NBA, and then says wait and see.

So he could have them higher or lower based on what Bone and Williams do is what I infer from that. Which is what I said.

What? Surely you meant if Bone and Williams don't come back?

If they're both back, we're likely preseason top 10.

This was - I have no freaking clue - so I’ll just put them at 25.

Kind of dumb. The entire point of being a way too early poll is to be speculative. He should have ranked us basked on what he thinks Willims and bone do. Also sounds like he was factoring in Barnes also potentially leaving ...

Reactions: Jonboy
Tenn needs a breakout year from Pons. He has the physical attributes, but can he deliver? Walker needs to show he’s ready be a SEC caliber player. The one good thing is the backcourt will be solid. Everything else is wait and see.

Lunardi has us as a 6, but doesn't disclose what roster assumptions he's making.

We win about 21 games if they both leave. We win about 28 if they come back.

Either way we should make the NCAA and we will go from there.

Tennessee will be in the Top 10-15 range if Grant Williams returns but if he doesn't they wont be in the Top 25.

Okay so he puts them there, says Williams and Bone are considering the NBA, and then says wait and see.

So he could have them higher or lower based on what Bone and Williams do is what I infer from that. Which is what I said.
Is it though? Not how I read your comments.

Reactions: esarmstrong
Here's a 2020 bracketology. They're assuming that even if Williams and Bone leave, we'll be a 10 seed.

2020 Bracketology - April 2019 Preview

Article rates ETSU highly. Forbes has done a great job and has a loaded roster. If Williams and Bone leave I don't see Vols getting higher than a NIT bid and even that is pushing it. Just too much scoring and experience being replaced with limited skill guys.

Other than the new 5 star one and done and Bowden and Turner, where are the players for next year ?
Fulkerson, Walker , Pons, Johnson ? Maybe Burns the red shirt... These guys only have to replace about 57 points.... Barnes will be severely tested next year...

VN Store

Back