UNC hiring Banghart to replace Hatchell

LVsinceJV

ESPN.com - Reports: UNC hiring Banghart to replace Hatchell

Reports: UNC hiring Banghart to replace Hatchell
Associated Press

North Carolina has reached a deal with Princeton's Courtney Banghart to become the Tar Heels' next women's basketball coach, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

The person spoke Monday night to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the school hasn't commented publicly on its search. Terms weren't immediately available, and the deal must be approved by UNC's board of trustees to become official.

The board has scheduled an emergency meeting via teleconference for Tuesday morning, though it didn't specify the exact agenda.

Banghart will replace Sylvia Hatchell, a Hall of Fame coach who resigned April 18 after an outside program review reported she had made "racially insensitive" comments and pressured players to compete through medical issues. That review also cited a "breakdown of connectivity" between Hatchell and the players after 28 interviews of current players and program personnel.

WRAL TV in Raleigh first reported the hiring.

Banghart, 40, has guided the Tigers to eight of the past 10 NCAA tournaments with seven Ivy League championships. Now she must move the UNC program in a new direction after Hatchell's 33-year tenure.

espnw_g_banghart_d1_600x400.jpg
North Carolina officials have reached an agreement with Princeton's Courtney Banghart to become the Tar Heels' next women's basketball coach, according to reports.

Banghart played at Dartmouth and worked as an assistant there before taking over at Princeton in 2007. She is 254-103 in 12 seasons, though more than a third of those losses came during her first two seasons. In the years since, she has won nearly 78 percent of her games, dating to the 2009-10 season, with three perfect runs through Ivy League play and the past two Ivy League tournament titles.

Her best season came in in 2014-15, when the Tigers went 31-1 and Banghart was named Naismith national women's coach of the year. Princeton won all but two games by double figures that year before suffering their only loss to No. 1 seed Maryland in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Princeton went 22-10 last season and won the league tournament before losing to Kentucky in the NCAA first round.

The challenge awaiting Banghart in Chapel Hill starts with making a big step up from the Ivy League to running and recruiting for a power-conference program in a league headlined by national powers Notre Dame and Louisville. There's also a need for a jolt of energy for a program that had limped through several bumpy seasons even prior to Hatchell's exit.

Hatchell is the winningest women's coach in Atlantic Coast Conference history, with 1,023 victories -- 751 of those coming during 33 seasons at UNC to go with eight ACC tournament titles, three Final Fours and the 1994 NCAA championship.

But there had been difficulties in recent years. She had missed the 2013-14 season while battling leukemia and undergoing chemotherapy. The program also spent several seasons under the shadow of the school's multiyear academic case dealing with irregular courses featuring significant athlete enrollments across numerous sports, a case that reached a no-penalty conclusion in October 2017.

Along the way, there had been significant roster turnover with numerous transfers and hits to recruiting that contributed to the Tar Heels' missing three straight NCAA tournaments before returning to the field this year for the first time since reaching the Sweet 16 in 2015.

With approval from UNC's trustees, it will be up to Banghart to make the Tar Heels a perennial NCAA tournament team and ACC contender again.

ESPN.com - Reports: UNC hiring Banghart to replace Hatchell

Reports: UNC hiring Banghart to replace Hatchell
Associated Press

North Carolina has reached a deal with Princeton's Courtney Banghart to become the Tar Heels' next women's basketball coach, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

The person spoke Monday night to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the school hasn't commented publicly on its search. Terms weren't immediately available, and the deal must be approved by UNC's board of trustees to become official.

The board has scheduled an emergency meeting via teleconference for Tuesday morning, though it didn't specify the exact agenda.

Banghart will replace Sylvia Hatchell, a Hall of Fame coach who resigned April 18 after an outside program review reported she had made "racially insensitive" comments and pressured players to compete through medical issues. That review also cited a "breakdown of connectivity" between Hatchell and the players after 28 interviews of current players and program personnel.

WRAL TV in Raleigh first reported the hiring.

Banghart, 40, has guided the Tigers to eight of the past 10 NCAA tournaments with seven Ivy League championships. Now she must move the UNC program in a new direction after Hatchell's 33-year tenure.

espnw_g_banghart_d1_600x400.jpg
North Carolina officials have reached an agreement with Princeton's Courtney Banghart to become the Tar Heels' next women's basketball coach, according to reports.

Banghart played at Dartmouth and worked as an assistant there before taking over at Princeton in 2007. She is 254-103 in 12 seasons, though more than a third of those losses came during her first two seasons. In the years since, she has won nearly 78 percent of her games, dating to the 2009-10 season, with three perfect runs through Ivy League play and the past two Ivy League tournament titles.

Her best season came in in 2014-15, when the Tigers went 31-1 and Banghart was named Naismith national women's coach of the year. Princeton won all but two games by double figures that year before suffering their only loss to No. 1 seed Maryland in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Princeton went 22-10 last season and won the league tournament before losing to Kentucky in the NCAA first round.

The challenge awaiting Banghart in Chapel Hill starts with making a big step up from the Ivy League to running and recruiting for a power-conference program in a league headlined by national powers Notre Dame and Louisville. There's also a need for a jolt of energy for a program that had limped through several bumpy seasons even prior to Hatchell's exit.

Hatchell is the winningest women's coach in Atlantic Coast Conference history, with 1,023 victories -- 751 of those coming during 33 seasons at UNC to go with eight ACC tournament titles, three Final Fours and the 1994 NCAA championship.

But there had been difficulties in recent years. She had missed the 2013-14 season while battling leukemia and undergoing chemotherapy. The program also spent several seasons under the shadow of the school's multiyear academic case dealing with irregular courses featuring significant athlete enrollments across numerous sports, a case that reached a no-penalty conclusion in October 2017.

Along the way, there had been significant roster turnover with numerous transfers and hits to recruiting that contributed to the Tar Heels' missing three straight NCAA tournaments before returning to the field this year for the first time since reaching the Sweet 16 in 2015.

With approval from UNC's trustees, it will be up to Banghart to make the Tar Heels a perennial NCAA tournament team and ACC contender again.

This was a great,great hire by North Carolina!

obviously she can coach - can she recruit an aspect she did not have to accomplish at the level required as a power team.

john

I agree everyone is always talking about she can coach yes she can coach in the Ivy league and the Ivy league is not a power conference. As for recruiting lets see if she is worth the money.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Frankly, Banghart was my first choice for the TN position. But, regardless, it's still largely a roll of the dice. You make your best effort to make the right decision. Then after you've made it, you put all your focus and energy into making your decision the right one.
She was my first choice before I even thought Kellie was an option. I like our Kellie hire but my feelings wouldn't have been too hurt if we had ended up with Banghart.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I think she’s going to do amazing things at UNC. They’ll finally have an offense. And who knows, maybe in the future she can face Kellie in the tourney.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Why would you be envious? She won the Ivy League several times, but only advanced to the second round once. Kellie reached the Sweet Sixteen (third round) by beating a third seed on their own court.

Great hire. She actually wins at her level (not "wins" once you "take the situation into consideration"), which more often than not translates as they move up. I am envious of UNC.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Why would you be envious? She won the Ivy League several times, but only advanced to the second round once. Kellie reached the Sweet Sixteen (third round) by beating a third seed on their own court.

Fifteen years as a head coach with 5 appearances in the tournament. Not one win until this year. A decent run with a team that ended with double figure losses, as her teams always do. Looks way more like a one off than a trend.

Or, won her conference 7 out of the last 10, after taking over a team that had never won anything. Won 78% of her games in the those last 10 years.

One of these career arcs usually leads to bigger and better things, while the other usually leads to more of the same. You can guess which is which.

(And note, I said "usually.)

Anyhow, I'm not doing this again. Kellie's our coach, and I'm all for her. I certainly hope she bucks the trend.

(Feel free to have the last word.)

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Fifteen years as a head coach with 5 appearances in the tournament. Not one win until this year. A decent run with a team that ended with double figure losses, as her teams always do. Looks way more like a one off than a trend.

Or, won her conference 7 out of the last 10, after taking over a team that had never won anything. Won 78% of her games in the those last 10 years.

One of these career arcs usually leads to bigger and better things, while the other usually leads to more of the same. You can guess which is which.

(And note, I said "usually.)

Anyhow, I'm not doing this again. Kellie's our coach, and I'm all for her. I certainly hope she bucks the trend.

(Feel free to have the last word.)
Yep she would have been a good hire. Hopefully we made the right hire.

Banghart better speak softly and be woke.

Watch them words, Courtney, watch them words.

🙄.
If you wanna start, let’s go. You’re talking to an educated gay black man, trust me you will not win. We have no let up 🤷🏿‍♂️

Just an FYI to you and anyone else, I’m not letting underhanded racist comments fly around here and anywhere else. Period. It will not taint the Vol/LV brand. Which is why certain comments regarding Evina were too much. Play with matches if you’d like Franklin.

While I’ve enjoyed watching programs like South Carolina, Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State, Louisville and others rise to elite status, I have to admit that I sometimes miss the days when North Carolina, Texas, Duke, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Villanova and several other programs (including Tennessee) were capable of deep tournament runs.

Hopefully our Lady Vols will get back to that level soon.

It being a more impressive hire is debatable.

Not if you take off your Orange lenses and look at it purely from a coaching standpoint. Banghart has 8 NCAA appearances in 12 seasons of coaching versus 5 appearances in 15 years for Harper. Banghart has won her conference regular season 7 times, versus 1 time for Harper. Banghart has a much better win percentage .711 vs .578, and Banghart doesn't have that unsightly record of failure at a Power 5 school. Banghart wouldn't have been my top choice, but I would certainly put her above who we ended up with...

Not if you take off your Orange lenses and look at it purely from a coaching standpoint. Banghart has 8 NCAA appearances in 12 seasons of coaching versus 5 appearances in 15 years for Harper. Banghart has won her conference regular season 7 times, versus 1 time for Harper. Banghart has a much better win percentage .711 vs .578, and Banghart doesn't have that unsightly record of failure at a Power 5 school. Banghart wouldn't have been my top choice, but I would certainly put her above who we ended up with...

All of that is true but they coaches in much different conferences....I had looked back previously through both coaches records and I couldn’t find a single top 25 team that Banghart had beaten...I think Harper beat three top 25 teams this season.... you also have to worry about recruiting with Banghart bc recruiting in the Ivy League is not even close to the Ivy League. Yes, you have to worry about her failure at N.C. State but she did step into a difficult situation with the former very popular coach in the process of dying and the fan/team favorite being passed over.... Let’s hope she is more ready for this opportunity

Reactions: madtownvol
All of that is true but they coaches in much different conferences....I had looked back previously through both coaches records and I couldn’t find a single top 25 team that Banghart had beaten...I think Harper beat three top 25 teams this season.... you also have to worry about recruiting with Banghart bc recruiting in the Ivy League is not even close to the Ivy League. Yes, you have to worry about her failure at N.C. State but she did step into a difficult situation with the former very popular coach in the process of dying and the fan/team favorite being passed over.... Let’s hope she is more ready for this opportunity

The beauty of this debate is that we have a live field experiment. In a few seasons, it will be clear who had the better hire. In truth, I am betting both schools come out looking pretty good with their respective hiring decisions.

Not if you take off your Orange lenses and look at it purely from a coaching standpoint. Banghart has 8 NCAA appearances in 12 seasons of coaching versus 5 appearances in 15 years for Harper. Banghart has won her conference regular season 7 times, versus 1 time for Harper. Banghart has a much better win percentage .711 vs .578, and Banghart doesn't have that unsightly record of failure at a Power 5 school.

That sort of faulty reasoning logic would put Molly Miller far ahead of most candidates. After all, her record is something like 146-16. Yeah, she's HC at Drury, but what does that matter? It's all about winning percentages, right?

As pointed out above, Banghart has 8 NCAA appearances...and, not coincidentally, has 7 conference championships. The latter is responsible for the former through automatic bids. How many ranked conference teams did the Ivy League produce? Most observers would acknowledge that it's tougher to win in the ACC or MVC than the Ivies. No, Banghart doesn't have an "unsightly record of failure at a P-5 school," that's true. Of course, she hasn't yet had that opportunity. One could just as easily say that she winless at P-5 schools if one wanted to distort the picture in that direction.

Here's a true statement: Kellie has a much better winning percentage as HC at a P-5 school. See how that works?

Last edited:
That sort of faulty reasoning logic would put Molly Miller far ahead of most candidates. After all, her record is something like 146-16. Yeah, she's HC at Drury, but what does that matter? It's all about winning percentages, right?

As pointed out above, Banghart has 8 NCAA appearances...and, not coincidentally, has 7 conference championships. The latter is responsible for the former through automatic bids. How many ranked conference teams did the Ivy League produce? Most observers would acknowledge that it's tougher to win in the ACC or MVC than the Ivies. No, Banghart doesn't have an "unsightly record of failure at a P-5 school," that's true. Of course, she hasn't yet had that opportunity. One could just as easily say that she winless at P-5 schools if one wanted to distort the picture in that direction.

Here's a true statement: Kellie has a much better winning percentage as HC at a P-5 school. See how that works?
[/QUOTE]
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

VN Store

Back